FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    raytw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb ivf tax deduction

did you know you can claim medical expenses for ivf-infertility treatment on your taxes ? i had no idea. anyone know how much you get back for this? once again, i feel like there is a lot i don't know.

thanks for the knowledge!!!

2. Advertisement

noelsgirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you can take a percentage of your out of pocket medical expenses, as long as their over a certain amount. I took last year off from IF, but in 2003, DH and I spent close to $12,000 on IUI and we were able to get a refund that year. Are their any accountants out there that can help answer this question??

Kara

crazygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can claim anything over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. usually it is really hard to meet this threshold for normal people but we all know that this whole process is very expensive so the treshold isn't really all that high relatively speaking.

just keep in mind, you need to itemize your deductions and the total has to be higher than the standard deduction for this to work.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Thank you. Question: How does FSA and 1040 work together? For example, if next year I use up the FSA for $5,000 (e.g. IVF#1 works with last of my coverage), but the total expense is $25,000 (FET#2 works or we cease treatment)? Yes, our AGI is under $100K.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Cool. Thank you! I forgot about the lowered AGI.

I'm just freaked by the FSA "use it or lose it". If the cycle was cancelled and extenuating circumstances kept us from another, I suppose we could always load up on 7,000 boxes of bandaids - or weekly chiropractic appts, more RPL counseling, do you think they'd notice if I submitted my cat's medication cost? (rhetorical question)

Thanks again.

holliday5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    But can my DH use his FSA dollars for my infertility treatments? We are each on our own insurance at our own companies.

has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

paper on IVF and taxes

This article might help you. It is written by a tax professor about fertility treatments and taxes

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=570782

(it can be downloaded for free)

This article talks about loans for fertility treatments if that is also of interest:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1435610

moonchild508
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by holliday5 View Post
    But can my DH use his FSA dollars for my infertility treatments? We are each on our own insurance at our own companies.
    Holiday - Your husband can use his FSA for your infertility treatment. That's how it worked for us. We have separate insurance.

cvpis4me
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't considered using my FSA at work. I have questions though. 1) Do I have to use their medical insurance? My husband is in the military so we currently use that. I don't pay for medical. 2) Can I put a lump sum into my FSA account or does it have to come out of my paycheck?
    Christa (28) DH (27)
    Married October 2007
    Diagnosis: PCOS and low sperm count
    2003: M/C at 6 wks (previous marriage)
    IUI #1 May '09 @ Madigan, 150mg Clomid--BFN
    IUI June '09, Clomid and Follistim--cancelled
    IUI #2 Sept '09--BFN
    Nov '09, Clomid and TI--BFN
    IVF #1- January 2010 (Womack); 20 retrieved, 16 mature

http://www.christasbabyquest.blogspot.com/

moonchild508
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cvpis4me View Post
    I haven't considered using my FSA at work. I have questions though. 1) Do I have to use their medical insurance? My husband is in the military so we currently use that. I don't pay for medical. 2) Can I put a lump sum into my FSA account or does it have to come out of my paycheck?
    cvpis - 1) I'm not sure if FSA is tied to your medical insurance. You can check with your HR on that. 2) The FSA comes out of your monthly paycheck starting the first day of the year. There is really no reason for you to put a lump sum. After you pay a medical expense, you will file for reimbursement from FSA (some companies give you an FSA charge card, which is very convenient).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast