FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Swimming after surgery?

How soon can I swim in a chlorinated pool after having a laparoscopy?

My lap was 11 days ago. I have dissolving stitches and it appears I have scabbed over and they're healing, but still have a steristrip on the ugliest of the incisions, so not too sure. Is it too soon??

2. Advertisement

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    They make waterproof bandages....look at your local drug store.
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

EclecticCyn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will be ok. I also just had a lap about ten days ago and everything looks pretty closed up...

For what's it worth - I had a lap two years back and the surgeon ripped the strips off at my check-in vists - about a week post-op. I was a little shocked when she did it but - even then things were closed up

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Thanks ladies.

I opted to be on the safe side and didn't go swimming. bummer.
    I have my post op appt in two days which will also be my pre-op for my Aug surgery as well. I finally managed to get the nerve up to remove the last piece of steristrip that just wouldn't let go. I didn't want my RE doing it for me. yikes.

My pelvic scar sticks out like a bump.
    It's like she rolled the skin when she stitched it.
    You can see the texture of the little bump through my underwear!
    I don't care what it looks like because of the location, but the bump through my underwear kind of bugs me. I mean, I don't want it looking like that through a bathing suit. Is this normal? It's also longer than my naval scar.
    The pelvic scar is approx 1.5" wide.

Oh yes, one other thing.
    Yesterday and the night before I had excruciating pains as if they were coming from my ovary area on both sides.
    It felt sort of like AF cramps, but centralized to both of my ovaries.
    It was as if they were being twisted. I couldn't even move for a couple of hours. The pain then subsided when I got up and started walking around... then came back at night while I was lying down.
    My AF isn't due for a week or more and probably won't even come on time because of the D&C anyway.. so it can't be that, right?
    What could it be? Could it be more adhesions growing like mad and causing me so much pain??? This new pain is much worse than the surgery pain itself.
    I've been lucky enough to not need to take pain killers since my surgery as the pain was pretty mild. This new pain however, is terrible and it's been almost 3wks post op. I'm feeling fine now, but I just know it'll come back again.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by fetch; 06-15-2008 at 09:39 PM.

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    The bump under the scar is normal. I had lapro gallbladder surgery 6 weeks ago and 2 of my 4 scars still have small bumps underneath. But they are shrinking. My surgeon keeps assuring me that they will go away....so I hope he's right!!

I'm sorry to hear you have more pain! I hope that what ever is causing it can be fixed with your next procedure....until then maybe you can ask for an RX of pain meds to get you thru?
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

LanaY
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi fetch,

I was wondering how you are doing. I switched my RE and went to see a new RE in Seattle. She was great. My old RE told me that HSG is not sensitive enough to catch polyps and because of the same reason he didn't even want to do the saline ultrasound and wanted to go ahead with lap/hys. The new RE saw the questionalble area from my HSG film and did diagnositc hysterscopy and salin ultrasound at the first appointment. Surprisingly, I had bunch of polyps - maybe 5 or 6. It was even clear from saline ultrasound, inside my uterus looked bumpy. I'm scheduled for an operative hysteroscopy this month.

Hope you are doing well.

Lana