FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

MRG
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Urinary retention post lap anyone?

Has anyone had urinary retention after their lap? I had my lap on Friday and had to go back to the hospital the night of my surgery b/c I could not pee. When they put the catheter in they got out 1200cc's of urine...I was really uncomfortable to say the least (considering your bladder should hold about 400cc's)...

Then I took the catheter out the day after, Saturday, per my doctors instruction and then I could not urinate the whole day (I felt like I needed to, but I just could not go)...So I had to go back to the hospital again and they put the catheter in AGAIN!! Uuugghhh...So I am suppose to leave it in until Monday morning, and I will try to take it out...I am suppose to clamp it off today to kind of train my bladder throughout the day...

Of all the things I was worried about before having the lap, this was not one them...They told me it is pretty uncommon, but it does happen to about 2% of people that have the procedure...They said it was due to all the anesthesia, and other various drugs that they give you, plus they gave me a huge amount of iv fluids, which overdistended my bladder and with all the drugs my my little bladder muscle just couldn't relax to empty...

So anyway...they found Stage 2 endo, a peritubal cyst which they removed, 2 very small fibroids on my uterus, adhesions on my left ovary that were causing my ovary to stick to the side of my peritoneal cavity...but although they found all this stuff, he said that it was probably unlikely that this is what was causing my infertility b/c my tubes were open...So...we have a meeting with him in 2 weeks to discuss what our options are. Hopefully my bladder starts working so I can go back to work tomorrow!!

Me 32 - TTC for 2 years w/ no luck (1 natural IUI, 3 Clomid/IUI cycles, and now lap showing Endo and other stuff)
    Husband - 40 (Super sperm)

2. Advertisement

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Sorry to hear about your bladder. I've only had that happen after one surgery..not fun!! Hopefully your bladder will wake up by Monday and you can be catheter free.

If you haven't checked out the FT's endo board you might want to read it over before your post op exam. http://www3.fertilethoughts.com/foru...splay.php?f=22 Even if you don't have any endo causing blockage or structural problems it can still affect your fertility. Endo is known to cause problems with implantation and egg quality also. Many doctors will dispute this...but I am a strong advocate on not only removing the endo but treating any remaining traces of it before starting IF treatment. Go ahead and check out the Endo board and see what you think....

Best wishes to you...
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

cat mommy
    cat mommy
    has no status.
    Edit
    It was really hard for me to pee for about 5 days after my lap.

It's definitely good to have the endo, cysts and fibroids out. Hope you feel better soon.

MRG
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to take out the catheter early Monday morning, and went to work that morning...My bladder is working, but I am a little sore down there...I think it is b/c I had a catheter shoved up there 3 times in less then 48 hours!! Things are much better though!!

MomNC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have had this happen 2x. I have had 3 laps.

Both times I ended up in the ER for a cath. Last time, they got 1700cc!!! Yes, it is uncommon, but if you have it happen once, it is more likely to happen again. I was "assured" that it wasn't going to happen again....and then it did.

If you ever need another lap...don't leave the hospital until you pee. It is much easier to stay and wait....than go home and have to go back.
    VERY proud mommy to ALL my children:

The Dynamic Duo
    Nicholas Aragorn - Officially seven!!
    Caeden Tobiah - Officially seven!!

And my very special angels ........
    Sawyer Evan and Dylan Annelise - given in love to the Universe on August 18, 2007
    Sadie- My spontaneous singleton - m/c March 25, 2008

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Glad to hear you bladder is in working condition again! MomNC's advice is excellent...don't leave the hospital until you know you can pee...actually most hospital's make it a requirement.
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5