FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Remodeling Bathrooms on a Budget

Karencraw
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Remodeling Bathrooms on a Budget

Kitchens and bathrooms are usually some of the first rooms in a home that need to be renovated and remodeled. Unfortunately they also happen to be the most expensive rooms to remodel. When homeowners are thinking about putting their home on the market, if they want to see the value of their home substantially increase, they should definitely consider upgrading their kitchen and bathrooms, because those rooms are selling points for potential buyers. Do not become overwhelmed with all the upgrades each of your bathrooms and kitchen needs, however. It is smart to work from room to room instead of doing all the renovating and remodeling at once. Here are some more tips about how to successfully remodel on a tight budget.

Set a comfortable budget

Because bathrooms are smaller than kitchens, they are a good place to start if you are worried about not being able to afford to remodel both areas. Walk through the bathrooms and determine which upgrades will increase the value the most, and then price out your options. Conducting heavy research online and in stores is well worth the time, because it will ultimately save you hundreds of dollars. Set a budget you are comfortable with so you are not constantly stressed about using the entire budget, and then only work within that budget. You will not regret saying now to a few upgrades in order to stay in budget.

Mix and match product qualities

There are some upgrades that are worth paying more for, and then there are other upgrades that are not worth the price for the name brand when the off brands are just as effective. Maison DePax suggests that homeowners balance high-end products with less expensive products in order to save money as well as achieve the look you are going for. If you are remodeling the bathrooms in preparation to sell the home, do not drain your savings account on expensive upgrades because chances are the new homeowners will change them eventually. Spend more on the products that need to last such as flooring, counters, and sinks, but do not spend top dollar for wall paint, lighting or other features that are likely to be changed.

Be a smart shopper

For some reason shoppers tend to be afraid to ask for discounts, which is too bad because there are a lot of discounts that are missed out on. If you order materials that come damaged, contact the company to see what they can offer you. Spend some time online or searching through the paper to find coupons and other offers that can save you money on materials. Shop in thrift stores for materials that can be fixed up with a fresh coat of paint or other easy techniques. Consider alternatives for expensive upgrades such as subway tile or chrome finishes instead of the expensive materials. Not only are these cheaper materials, but they still leave bathrooms looking expensive and classic, increasing the home’s overall value.

Interior decorating and remodeling news brought to you by baseboardradiatorcover.com

Source: maisondepax.com/2013/11/source-list-and-budget-tips-for-master-bath.html
    Last edited by Karencraw; 05-31-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Likes johnstephen95 liked this post

2. Advertisement

JennaAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks for posting!
    Infertility & POF Advocate - Follow me on Twitter
    RESOLVE Ambassador
    Event Chair, RESOLVE Tri-State Walk of Hope 2015

IF Timeline
    Dx: Premature Ovarian Failure

07/2010 IVF #1 - Cancelled d/t Poor Response
    08/2010 IVF #2 - Converted to IUI #1 - BFN
    10/2010 IUI #2/3 - BFN
    11/2010 IVF #3 - No Eggs at ER - Given the DE Speech

12/2010 - 6/2014 ON BREAK

06/2014 IVF #4 - Cancelled d/t No Response
    10/2014 IVF #5 (Known DE) - Chemical Pregnancy

04/2015 Matched with Donor - 6 Frozen Eggs
    08/2015 DE IVF #6 - BFP!!

03/2016 Twin Boys Born

amrath
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there

1 Here are some of the ideas for remodelling A bath room in low budget , or you can say its inexpensive bathroom remodelling ideas, limit the amount of tile and focus on high impact area like floor , u can tile one horizontal strip and colour the rest , if you want a tile badly then buy few expensive tile and mix it with cheep once by this way your expensive tiles would look good in between cheep once and you could save more money

2 You can also save in granite Counter top , that's by buying a slab containing imperfection , the more visible the imperfection the cheaper the price , keep in mind that your sink takes lot of space so what ever the imperfection are their it will be hidden
    Likes JennaAtFertilityAuthority liked this post

Christopher145
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

bathroom remodel

I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years and slowly accumulating the components. I am at the point where the next thing I buy is going to commit me to the color scheme for the bathroom. Here is a SketchUp of the sink wall. The shower is off to our right in this picture, we can see the ceiling that I forgot to hide.It is a tiny bathroom, about 5 x 8 for floor space, with the shower.tub combo across from the second drawer set on the vanity, the second med cab, and the toilet. I have the walls done in green because the only desk-type furniture piece I could find in Sketch-Up was white.

My real vanity is an antique lady's vanity, currently painted turquoise with rubbed-through edges. I expect to repaint it to match which ever color scheme I decide on.

The shower itself is going to be Swanstone, a color called Ice

It is a white background with gray cloudiness in an irregular pattern. I am going to tile the room's walls to the level of the room's window sill.

My original idea was to do the walls in white 6x6 tile with black sanitary base, chair rail molding, and black tile molding all around the window, the two medicine cabinets. In this style, Style 1, the floor would be a porcelain that resembles Carrara marble, the countertop would likely be Carrara marble. I may also do a listello at the top of the white tile, below the chair rail, using a carrara tile as Enduring did in her downstairs bath, with a black pencil molding beneath.

Then I saw a beautiful bathroom on Houzz with a pale green tile and black trim, and was smitten. But salesmen keep telling me that no one will ever want to buy my house with green tiles in the bathroom, and it scares me away. If I did the walls in green, I may still do a fake carrara floor, or might do it in light gray. Vanity top might still be real Carrara Marble. This is Style 2.

Then I got the idea to use Carrara trim instead of black, and purchase a panel of mosaic tile from New Ravenna Mosaics. I was looking at their Willow or their Climbing Vines. Neither wants a black outline. When you look at my busy wall, there is this big space with nothing going on behind the toilet, and it is just begging for a piece of art, about the size of a medicine cabinet. The art panel shoots up the price, but so does switching to marble for the trim!

Yesterday I was at The Tile Shop and saw Meram Carrara 12 x 12 tiles on sale. Polished marble tiles were $8.24. Brushed marble tiles were $8.99. It looks fantastic next to my Swanstone. That is the first time I have said that about anything!

When I leave off all of the trim, in order to save $, only keeping a single pencil trim to finish the top edge, the marble for the walls really is competitive with using ceramic tile and all that marble trim. I imagine I save a bundle on installation compared to 6 x 6 tiles with a pencil, a listello, a chair rail and a sanitary base, too. The wall tile is $662 and $159 for the pencil molding at the top. This means no sanitary base, though. Nothing at all except caulk where the floor meets the wall. I chose this for the floor to go with the marble. It is a porcelain with some texture, in 18 x 18 tiles. This is Style 3.

The vanity color would come from the art tiles. The vanity top would be polished Carrara Marble, or maybe something dark, what with all that marble on the walls. The marble on the walls does not have the striations of traditional Carrara, though. What do you think of how it would look with a Carrara top?

Here are other components of the room, already purchased:

Victoria and Albert Amalfi 55 sink

Brizo Charlotte faucet

Medicine Cabinet from Restoration Hardware

Mercer Tube Sconces from Pottery Barn

So, is anyone willing to do an informal poll on this? I know I can only show one tile of the Meram Carrara, so you can't see how well it goes with the Swanstone. Bummer. I should have photographed it last night. I also looked at a mosaic tile there last night that would have looked great with the green field tiles, I think. It was called St. Lucia and the photo of it online is very poor. The description of it got my attention, though, and I saw it in person and it was beautiful. I could do 4 rows of it as a listello and get away with only needing 4 sheets at $90 to do a listello for the green tiles.

Maybe I will go back tomorrow and do more photos. I want to do up a price comparison with all of the black trim pieces too, so DH can see the final cost of all three styles.

Christopher145
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    why images did not appear????

maddhome
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post ..thanks for share..

johnstephen95
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you are thinking about the remodeling of your bathroom there are a lot of products for it but you have to consider your budget. There are a number of things you can do if your budget is limited. Usually, bathroom is not large as other rooms of home so small changes can do a lot for you, like some time just a good cleaning and changing accessories like curtains, showers, bathroom corner cabinet, rugs and Glass wall Shelves can make your bathroom like new. All the things mentioned are not too much costly so it is up to you how you plan it.

FrancisWang
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting.

AustinRoberts
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post!