FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

intheknow
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chilis from Hatch

Hatch Chilis are very famous, and there is a variety up by Santa Fe that are supposed to be very good too. Where we live the soil is poor and there is a decided lack of water. Also, we don't have as long a growing season as Hatch does, but New Mexico is New Mexico, so I figure if I can get some seeds from Hatch I should be able to doctor up the soil to grow some decent chilis here.

Is there an error in my thinking?
    Needed a Hero; Got a Zero.
    Impeach Obama!
    Common sense was never the hallmark of the Obama voter.

2. Advertisement

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    no never an error in your thinking! Do chilis grow in poor soil? Isn't poor soil all the same?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Well, install a rain barrel or two to remedy the water situation, and incorporate compost every year and the soil should improve. I'd like to know how professionals grow peppers though, as I have a problem getting them to grow thick walls like the ones you buy. They look good, but are very thin when you cut into them.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    the peppers are thin? Are they like bell peppers? or like the peppers we use to make hot sauce? We have grown the peppers used to make hot sauce from seedlings but as I remember they liked nice soil in a pot and did very well in there. hmmmm.... I do know that when we grew tomatoes that they were very thin skinned and watery because it rains so much here so nothing we could do about the weather! Maybe that's why the chilis are thin skinned?

What do you use Chili hatch peppers for?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

intheknow
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-MAV
    the peppers are thin? Are they like bell peppers? or like the peppers we use to make hot sauce? We have grown the peppers used to make hot sauce from seedlings but as I remember they liked nice soil in a pot and did very well in there. hmmmm.... I do know that when we grew tomatoes that they were very thin skinned and watery because it rains so much here so nothing we could do about the weather! Maybe that's why the chilis are thin skinned?

What do you use Chili hatch peppers for?
    Hatch, New Mexico is the chili capital of the world.

See this link: Hatch Chili
    Needed a Hero; Got a Zero.
    Impeach Obama!
    Common sense was never the hallmark of the Obama voter.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Hatch chilis are the medium-hot ones, not bell peppers, but I can't get either kind to turn out with thick, meaty walls. I haven't tried hot peppers in several years, but I have an awesome recipe for salsa that uses them. I used them even when my chilis were thin-walled. Maybe that should be my goal this year--have enough tomatoes and chilis to make salsa. My 15 y/o ds LOVES hot food and he's always asking for a salsa garden.

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    K - I think I already told you this, can't remember. I didn't have much luck with my peppers there but my tomatos did great (as you know ). Osmocote pellet fertilizer! Put a bit in the bottom of the hole, cover with a small amount of dirt and them put in your baby tomato plants. Tomatos LOVE it. I did it here again this past year and it worked great here, too. It's great!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-3boys2luv
    K - I think I already told you this, can't remember. I didn't have much luck with my peppers there but my tomatos did great (as you know ). Osmocote pellet fertilizer! Put a bit in the bottom of the hole, cover with a small amount of dirt and them put in your baby tomato plants. Tomatos LOVE it. I did it here again this past year and it worked great here, too. It's great!
    3b2l, I'm embarrassed to say I've never fertilized my garden--never even thought about it! LOL--with a little fertilizer this year it'll probably look like one of those gardens you see on Gilligan's Island that have been exposed to radiation. Seriously, thanks for the plug for the Osmocote. Wal*Mart ought to have their garden stuff in just as soon as they can sell off all the Christmas leftovers and I'll check it out.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Actually, I bought mine at the Ace down by your housewhen we lived there , so you might look there first. Our Walmart here doesn't carry it, not sure if that's an all Walmart thing or just this one. It's not called pellet fertilizer, I just call it that because I like the version that comes in little bb sized balls. They seem to release slower, making the garden great all season.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.