FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Indoor plants... any ideas?

I read in the local paper that the corn plant is very tall and a good indoor plant. Does anyone have a picture? Right now we have a tall FAKE ficus tree. The den needed some color but I would love for the tall plant to be real without much mess. Ideas?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The ONLY indoor plants I have and have managed to keep alive is a spider plant I bought two yrs. ago and a mixed plant T sent me when I was in the hospital last Jan. .So, I'm no help but would like to see some responses as well.
    Erica J.

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a spider plant... I think-LOL! It's outside. It's hiding some stuff outside so I wouldn't want to move it inside. I am gonna look up that corn plant. It's probalby not very pretty. I am imagining a tall plant that looks like a corn stalk!!!!
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A corn stalk is what I thought of when reading it as well. Please, post a pic of one if you find it on line.
    Erica J.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    The three I have that I haven't killed yet are: a peace lilly, an aloe vera, and a decorative bamboo.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I have this plant in my living room and I think it is a corn plant. The leaves are corn-leaf-like, I think. I haven't managed to kill it, so it's pretty sturdy! It is nearly to the ceiling and I'm not sure what I'm going to do a year from now when it's over 8' tall.

dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok! The leaves are nice but it's bare at the bottom. Was that because of the way you pruned it? I want something with leave all over. Hmm...
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    No, that is the way it grows. It's like a palm tree in that new leaves grow at the top, then the lower ones die and you remove them. This particular plant is behind a large leather chair (I moved it for the picture), so the bareness of the trunk works well. If it is in a more exposed location, something bushier might be nice.

What about one of those large palm things with long fringe-y leaves like they had in the 1920s? Those can fill a corner nicely. My only problem with them is they only last me about 6 months because they die on me. My most recent one went into the trash about a month ago.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie