FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2BPreggoMyEggo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How 2 know if ur having Contractions/ Preterm delivery?

Hello, Im currently 22 weeks pregnant with triplets and on moderate bedrest. I also have partial placenta previa for one of the babies. My bleeding/spotting has finally stopped but im so scared of having contractions or goin into preterm delivery and not knowing about it. Please let me know what it feels like when ur having contractions, or any signs of preterm delivery... it would be really appreciated. Thanks!
    Me29Severe Stage 4 Endo, DH34
    10/08:IVF#1-BFN , 12/08:FET#1-BFN:, 02/09:IVF#2-BFP-Chemical
    08/07/09:FET#2 :BFP!! Thank u God! U/S:
    EDD:04/25

2. Advertisement

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preterm labor/contractions are not necessarily painful.

For me, my entire abdomen would get hard like a rock, no pain. It lasted for about a minute. I starting feeling this maybe around 22/23 weeks (I know I was definitely having them at 24 weeks when we went on a vacation); I was told to monitor the frequency. You should not be getting them any more than 4-5 times an hour (so any more than every 10-15 min) - if I was getting them, I was to lie down and drink lots of water. If that didn't stop them, I was to go into L&D. This first happened to me at 30 weeks, after a night in the hospital I went home on oral meds and modified bedrest.

If you are already on bedrest somewhat you should be able to feel any contractions (when I was working/busy it was harder to notice them because I was distracted/not paying as much attention).

Hope you keep those babies in there for a LONG time.

Janice
    L&E 11/00

2BPreggoMyEggo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas Vs. Contractions?

Thanks for ur response Jan21,
    I wake up every morning to a uncomfortably hard as rock belly, which I just get up and go to the bathroom to pee, and come back and it gets better, I always assume it's gas or something since I always get really painfully bloated in the past. Once I was having appendicitis pain for 3-4 days and thought it was really bad gas, and my appendix burst ... so I just don't want to assume I just have bad gas and am bloated, when in fact im having preterm labor or contractions god forbid... any other tell tale signs?

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think as long as your belly goes down after you go to the bathroom you don't need to worry. I think having a full bladder may trigger contractions (I think I remember something about this) so that may be doing it.

The thing about contractions is the timing. If you just have one, and don't have another for an hour you don't need to worry. But if they're happening every 10 min, you know you need to do something.

I think another sign of PTL can be diarrhea - I had this at one point but I think it was from meds (it was right when I started taking meds to stop the contractions).

Janice
    L&E 11/00

2BPreggoMyEggo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Jan for all your insight into contractions and preterm labor. I hope I can keep these lil guys in there for as long as possible, but im glad you've let me know what to look for in case they do try to come out earlier..

Thanks and happy new yrs!

trsouthe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree w/everything Janice is saying above, and would also add that feeling lots of pelvic pressure is also a sign. I felt it before I went into labor with my twins last year. Check with your OB or MFM at your next visit too as you are at the window when he/she should be educating you on all the signs of PTL. You could also request an fFN test as it may help determine if that tightening you were feeling is a sign that you could be going into labor. Hope this helps!

Tracy
    http://stickyvibesandbabydust.blogspot.com/

IVF X 3 (2 Miscarriages, 1 Stillbirth and 1 infant loss)
    1 = FET = Masarra Ann
    2nd FET =
    IVF #4 = DS due 06/08/12

2BPreggoMyEggo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan/trsouthe,
    Last weekend on new yrs eve it was my hubby's bday and we also had both of my sister in law's families over for dinner. I was also vacuuming and baking cupcakes and on my feet alot that day, and after dinner I didn't want my hubby to wash the dishes or our guests to, so I loaded up the dishwasher and rinsed and washed other dishes too... that night i felt ALOT of pelvic pressure and when i was in bed my stomach had gotten extremely hard, and with the pelvic pressure i was feeling i was starting to freak out thinkin I might be having contractions and would need to wake up hubby and go to the hospital. I started googling everything i could read online about ptl and i had like 4-5 out of like 7 signs of labor. So i decided to wait an hour and see if i could count the contractions or see if it would go away and finally after an hour it did finally go away. I decided to take it easy after that, and not to act like im 'super woman' and to relax and chill out when my body is telling me to. And i've noticed that my contractions i used to feel alot in the morning have calmed down as well. Thank god.. Our goal is to reach 35 weeks gestation and my MFM thinks I have a good chance of meeting that. Our first goal is getting past the 30 wks point and hopefully getting to 35 or even 37 weeks God willing.
    trsouthe,
    How long were u able to keep ur twins in for? And if u don't mind me asking, did u have any issues when they were born? Like did they have to wait in the hospital for a long time or anything? Or were u one of the lucky moms who got to keep the buns in the oven long, and take them home right away?

trsouthe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    2BPreggo...I was not fortunate enough to keep our sons in long enough to bring them home. I suffered from PTL and IC and went into labor a day shy of 23 weeks. We held it off for a week before losing Rafe to an infection and having to deliver Solomon early. Solomon lived for 34 days before unexpectedly contracting and dying from NEC. I hope you don't think I am overstepping, but as a mom who has lost multiples, my advice would be to take it extremely easy for the next several weeks. Every extra day you can give those little ones gives them more of a fighting chance to not end up like my sons. There will always be dishes to do and places to go, but right now, you and your little ones are top priority. I met plenty of moms of multiple ones during our month long stay in the NICU and between the pumping of milk and trying to make "touch times" every 3 hours or so for Cangaroo care (imagine trying to keep up with that for 3) they were exhausted to say the least. The NICU experience will wear you out even if you only have 1 child in there. Every day you keep them inside is a day in the NICU you don't have to go through. So I guess what I am saying is put your feet up and take it easy young lady!!!

Tracy
    http://stickyvibesandbabydust.blogspot.com/

IVF X 3 (2 Miscarriages, 1 Stillbirth and 1 infant loss)
    1 = FET = Masarra Ann
    2nd FET =
    IVF #4 = DS due 06/08/12

2BPreggoMyEggo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    trsouthe,
    OMG I am sooo sorry for your loss, and no ur definitely not overstepping any boundaries. I seem to think that im super woman and nothing will happen to me and my babies will be blessed and will be kept in the oven for as long as possible... but im a big fat idiot who needs to relax and chill out and listen to my body when its giving me signs. I hope I never put my babies upto that risk again. I mean its so sad that people who take so much precaution and everything still go thru such loss and heartache like u did. After the scare last weekend, I pretty much stayed in bed during the whole week for the most part and it helped out alot. But I will definitely try to listen to ur advice and take it easy.

Thanks for sharing ur experience and again im so so sorry.

about2bmom3
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy

PG, BABIES ment

2b- congrats on the twins! I just wanted to share this with you.....

when i was pg with my twins i was having the same feelings that you are...hardening/tightening but no pain. I ignored it for quite a while. Finally one day i made a call to my ob (this was after being hosp for high BP) and was told to go to L&D for monitoring. I was 34weeks at the time. I was so scared they were going to make me stay again (and be away from DD) that i almost didnt go. Well, DH made me and once i was hooked up they noticed i was in a contraction pattern already! I was contracting every 3min and i didnt feel ANY pain. They were able to stop ctx with terbutaline and send me home. I was SUPER caredul after that. Drank ALOT of water kept my feet up as much as poss. DH did almost everything for DD. Then at 36weeks..it happened again. This time though they were painful. I went in and they would have delievered me that day (6 days before my scheduled csec) but my dr was not in town (he was watching my monitor from Denver, we live in chicago!) and the ctx ended up stopping after some iv fluids. I was able to make it to deliever my boys at 37 weeks. My advice is to STOP doing things that require you to be on your feet. REST as much as possible and DRINK alot of water! If you can keep the babies in until your anticipated delivery day it will be better for all involved. As trsouthe said, one more day in you might be one less nicu day! I agree that most of the time tightening is probably nothing, but you know your body best. Call if you are unsure!

Amy-31 DH-30
    dx:PCOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast