I'm 33years old, overweight (100kg) and currently 15weeks pregnant with my first child. I was recently diagnosed with factor 5 leiden following a dvt in my lower calf a couple of months ago...then during my 12week US they found a 9cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. I have a follow-up US scheduled for next week when they will discuss specific surgery dates. Dr wants to remove the cyst (via a laparotomy - vertical incision) when I'm 18-20weeks along, which puts the surgery date in early December.

My question is, has anyone had a laparotomy (vertical incision from belly button to pubic line) while they've been pregnant? If so, how long did it take to fully recover from the surgery? I'm worried that the incision will take longer to heal due to my abdomen being stretched for the remaining 20weeks of pregnancy, risking site splitting open. Also, did anyone go on to have a normal full-term vaginal delivery or did you have to undergo a c-section due to increased risk of complications during delivery following a laparotomy?

My biggest fear is going under a general to have the cyst removed and waking up to find that I've lost the baby during surgery...part of me doesn't want to become to attached to the baby just in case I lose it. Silly I know, but I'm struggling a bit in that regard...I would love to hear some success stories...