FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pw2007
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Uterine Septum

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

I am 16w pregnant after years of infertility. I got pregnant through my first attempt at IVF. I've never been pregnant before. Yesterday I had an u/s and the tech saw a septum in my uterus. I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor yet so I'm wondering if any of us have experienced this.

The septum appears large (though I can't really tell). The baby is on both sides of it. Her legs and butt are trying to move around but are hampered by the septum and her head (on the other side of the septum) appears kind of stuck.

I don't think the placenta has implanted on the septum (which I've read can cause miscarriage). So I'm wondering if this will effect the baby. As the baby grows, will the septum get in the way or effect the baby?

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. Advertisement

wish4#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a large septum in my uterus - and indeed have a 9 year old son and am having my second one this Tuesday!! I did periodically have bleeding with my first one, not sure if it was related, but had bed rest and delivered early, but he is perfect! I also have had some little complications with this one, again not sure if it is related, but am delivering early once again at 36weeks, but all is ok! You are going to fine! The uterus grows so large hence the septum gets smaller. Good luck!

pw2007
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. That makes me feel so much better. Congratulations on Tuesday!!! Did you deliver normally or by C-section?

wish4#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    1st one I delivered vaginal delivery and this one is c-section - one of each!

I really truly believe that if the baby implanted on your septum you would definitely know that by now (miscarriage usually follows very soon after implantation) I have had 11 miscarriages for different reasons but 4 of them were because it implanted on the septum which doesn't allow enough blood flow and/or nutrients to flourish! This always happened at 6-8 weeks of pregnancy.

zevi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi - I also have a septum and am now 28 weeks. I started with twins (1 didn't make it - not related to the septum thing) and the doctor wasn't too concerned about the septum. He did recommend cervical length checks from the beginning to make sure it didn't cause any dilation at all. My septum is about 1/4 of the way into my uterine cavity, so maybe it is because it isn't too far down. I do know that as your uterus grows, the septum will be less of an issue. Hope that things go well for you!

cecelia27
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi! I had a septum while pregnant with my DD unknowst to me. I delivered early at 36 weeks as she was starting to get a little growth restricted and my uterus quit growing.. i had a retained placenta with that delivery (vaginal) but no other problems and didnt know till years later that i even had a septum. but second infertility set in and after 3 ivf cycles it was finally found. I have had 4 miscarriages since my DD until this was found and i had a metroplasty actually twice to remove it. so far so good. hopefully this will solve my problem and the miscarriages will cease.. good luck to you!

Krister182
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small septum due to a mild bicornunate uterus and so far no serious problems. I am 26 1/2 weeks now. My last u/s at 18 weeks showed my placenta was still laying low across the cervix and I will have another u/s to check and see where it is positioned around 29-30 weeks. The septum can cause the placenta to be low lying (placenta previa) because there isnt enough room for it up top, but it is very manageable. It can cause bleeding and if so they may put you on bedrest. If the placenta is low you will need a c section because it blocks the cervix.

The doctor can check out the ultrasound and tell you how big the septum is and what kind of issue it will create. Depending on its size you can carry just fine.
    Kris
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC#1 since July 2004
    Clomid Cycle 06/06 - BFP
    lost at 5 1/2 weeks
    IUI #1-3 - BFN
    IVF #1 - BFP! Colin 8/2008
    TTC #2 since 2009
    IVF #2 Oct 2011 BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2012 BFN
    FET #2 Mar 2012 in TWW

European
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

after some infertility issues I finally managed to conceive, but now I have another reason to be concerned - a small uterine septum (subseptum).

My RE told me we shouldn't remove it, since its posible impacts on fertility and pregnancy are highly debatable and that according to his own experiences there is no improvement when removed... OK.

But then I made some googling and found some studies stating, that subseptum can cause an up to 4 times higher risk of miscarriage (25-47%), That's high.

So, what have your doctors been telling you about this issue?
    Last edited by European; 08-14-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Mareth
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a good resource for septum
    / mullerian anomalies. It has a link to the yahoo group too, great group of ladies with various experiences to answer questions.

http://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/

spindoctor
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an adhesion in my upper uterus that was caused by a D&C after a m/c. The adhesion did not affect my pregnancy with DD, who is now just over 2. However, I experienced secondary infertility and the doctors I saw at the fertility clinic discussed me having the adhesion removed but I got pregnant before the surgery and am now 5 weeks along. I am terrified that this was a mistake...any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast