FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ninecounts
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question At What Age Does A Pregnancy become High Risk?

Is there a certain age that determines when a pregnancy becomes high risk? What can happen to a healthy woman ( 45+) in pregnancy that cannot happen to a younger woman?

2. Advertisement

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Higher risk for gestational diabetes and blood pressure issues I had both with a high risk pg at 40. I had an excellent high risk OB.

A dear friend just had twins at 47 and she was closely monitored the whole time and did great.

I don't know that there is a specific "age" as I think it is more about the issues surrounding the pg.

Adrienne

beautiful boy

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In my secong pg, I was reading my chart and it read "AMA" When I asked what that meant, my OB told me "Advanced Maternal Age" I was floored, as I was only 36 at the time...AMA doesn't nessisarilly mean "high risk" but they do tend to monitor you more closely. My OB told me that the AMA "label" goes on any chart for a woman 35 and over, although I didn't think to ask why. (I think I was so floored that I was AMA!! LOL)
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

ninecounts
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question...what is a peri?

Aubie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ninecounts
    Question...what is a peri?
    periontologist (spelling)- aka an high risk OB aka maternal-fetal medicine OB
    Me (36) & DH (36) Married 15.5 yrs
    9 Dx: Hydros (removed 6/14/06) & Prothrombin mutation
    IVF #2 (WR):N

ninecounts
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that babies born to high risk moms are smaller but is that because they are generally delivered earlier due to complications?

Also, are c-sections higher in older moms?

tysa
    is happy beyond belief
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired
    AMA is defined as- being at age 35 when you deliver. Doesnt matter how old when you start, if you are 34 and have a b-day while PG, then it qualifies you.

The main concern is congenital defects. There are not too many concerns as far as maternal health, mainly fetus. Most generally: high BP, going past term (40 wk) and failing placenta are the main ones.

hang in there, you should be fine, if a lady can deliver at 62 (I think it was triplets!) you should breeze, most likely they will just offer more genetic counseling.

Tysa

MuttonStew
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ninecounts- You and the baby are in awesome hands if you're seeing a perinatologist. I'm not AMA, but was going to their office and my ob when pregnant with my dd. I'm pg again and feel extremely confident that this will be a safe pregnancy and birth. The perinatologists are able to conduct further testing that an ob is unable to provide. Towards the end of my previous pregnancy, I was having routine fetal assessments every week. That is what caught the congenital heart defect that my dd had.

I'm seeing the same doctors for this pregnancy and had an amnio done this time. I've received almost all of the results back. So far they came back normal (no problems). Just waiting for one last genetic test to be completed which should be by next week.

With an ob and perinatologist, there is a better chance of catching any problems when a woman is considered having a high risk pregnancy. Let them do the worrying for you. It's not easy, but keep in mind that you have the best of both worlds.
    Rachael, 34 DH, 37 - Married 11 yrs
    dx PCOS, insulin resistant
    Mom to 2dd w/ Osteogenesis Imperfecta-Type I

m/c on 06/21/2004
    BFP on 7/26/2007...EDD 4/3/2008
    Miranda 05/16/2005 {150mg Clomid & 1500mg metformin}
    Aubrey 04/01/2008 {100 mg Clomid & 1000 mg metformin}

ninecounts
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

12 weeks 1 day

Second ultrasound today at clinic and baby at 12 wks 1 day and measures 2.5 in long....everything perfect...being turned over to OB

AthenaD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I delivered my second child six weeks ago at the age of 40. I wasn't considered high risk and wasn't monitored any more than someone much younger. I was actually disappointed...I wanted lots of ultrasounds!
    me (41) dh (49)
    R 3/06
    A 11/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast