FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

CarsonsMommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Need Encouragement-Shorter Cervix After Cerclage

Hi ladies, I am hoping you can give me some encouragement and support. I had a cerclage placed at 18 weeks when my cervix dropped from 3.38 to 2.1 according to OB. When I went to the peri 2 days later, he measured it at 1.3-1.8 so shorter than what the OB had measured. 3 weeks post cerclage my cervix measured 1.2 which I was not expecting. My docs found it concerning that it didn't increase but didn't have an explanation. If you go by the peri's measurements, it dropped a little, but if you go by my docs it dropped a lot. Can anyone else give some positive stories or advice? I am scared. I am 21w5d now. I am on full bedrest-have been for four weeks and am on Nifedipine to get rid of the contractions I sometimes I have. They manually check my cervix weekly-and even yesterday, one week past my u/s, my doc said my cervix was thick and closed and was surprised that the u/s showed a short measurement based on what he felt.
    I asked about testing for more infections but he said at this point, there were no treatments taht would be effective. My swabs have all come back negative as well as UTI.

Carrie

2. Advertisement

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Carrie~

Congrats on your pg~I'm sorry it's coming with complications. I'm surprised that your doctor is continueing to do manual exams, especially if you are having vaginal u/s exams...please consider telling your doctor you don't want any more manual exams~there is no point in aggrivating your cervix, and the u/s exams are more reliable anyway. Also, were your doctors "measurements" based on a manual exam or an u/s? If they were based on a manual exam, then your peri's measurement is almost likely the more accurate measurement.

I'm surprised he doesn't want to continue to test you for infections, as undetected BV can cause cervical changes and they ARE treatable with the right antiobiotics. I hope BC-twinssquared sees your post because I believe she can give you more information about this (she experienced infections).

Anyway~you wanted a positive story, so I will share my last pg expereince with you. At 22 weeks I was admitted into the hospital bcs my cervix has shortened from 3.9 to under 2.7 in less than 2 weeks (I was high risk and being monitored roughly every week and 1/2) I had a cerclage placed a few days later and spent the rest of my pregnancy on strict bedrest, in a hospital bed, taking medications and being scared to death. FYI-I continued to have vaginal u/s but I never had a manual cervix check until 36 weeks, when my cerclage was removed. My son was born at 38 weeks.

Consider printing out the bedrest checklist and going over it with both your peri and your OB so you know exactly what you can and can't do...everyone seems to have a different idea of what "bedrest" really means. I asked every doctor I saw (and got different answers to different questions) and then I followed the most conservative advice I receieved (which meant, basically, that I did nothing but stay in bed).

Please continue to post here, as bedrest gets harder and it is not an easy job your're dong. I found it helpful to share my expereinces, hopes and frustrations with women who understand how difficult it is to do nothing all day and how easy it is for yoru mind to wander to unfriendly places.

Wishing you the best of luck.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

lablover2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Carrie, I wish I could give you some advice but I don't have alot of experience with cervical issues and have just recently been seeking guidance myself. I just wanted to give you a hug and tell you that I'm thinking about you and hope everything turns out well. You also need to give yourself a pat on the back for surviving bedrest for 4 weeks--- that is a long time! And bedrest, contrary to what most people think, is NOT easy. So far, I have been on bedrest 2 different times in this pregancy-- one week back in August and one week a couple of weeks in ago in December, and both of those times were really hard...so I can only imagine what you've been going through. My only words of wisdom is to hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    me (37); DH (36)

dx: unexplained Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Seven (7) babies lost (from 2004-2010)
    Our miracle was born March 2007

Cautiously Expecting miracle #2 : 10/14/11
    6wk4d u/s 115 bpm; 7wk4d u/s 158 bpm; 9wk4d u/s 182

vkruchten
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie,

Hang in there Sweetie!! I was on strict bedrest with my last pregnancy from 22 weeks on and my cervix was anywhere from 1.1cm to .8 cm from that point until I delivered my son at 38 weeks. While the bedrest wasn't fun (I had over 60 days in the hospital) the outcome was worth it. I had my cerclage placed preventatively at 12 weeks (measuring 5.1 cm) and still lost almost all of my length between weeks 21 and 22.

Sometimes you will gain some cervical length and others you will lose it. In my experience this is common, especially is you have a "dynamic" cervix. I always ge ta kick out of saying I have a dynamically incompetent cervix. Sometimes it helps me to find humor in something I have no control over. This pregnancy, I had a double cerclage placed at 10 weeks. My cervix was measuring 3.7cm prior and went up to 4.7 cm after. I stayed at 4.3cm (minus a little scare around 16weeks with a novice sonographer) until this past week ( I have weekly u/s - no manual examss unless there is a problem) when I went down to 3.1cm with a slight funnel. So, again I will say hang in there! This really is an issue that we can't control and as long as your stitch is holding tight, you should be okay even losing length.
    me 34, dh 44
    IVF #1 (9/03) Collin (18w2d)and Connor (20w2d), IC, Chorio
    FET #1(6/04): Ian James 2-14-05
    IVF #2 (7/06): 1 blast transferred due to IC, Finley "Finn"Scott 3-23-07

casgraham
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing you lots of sticky cervix and tight stitching vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell the baby to go to his or her womb and not come out until you tell him or her to!

CarsonsMommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much you guys. Your stories and support mean a lot and helped me a lot today. I have more hope now which is a good thing!! I am going to do whatever I have to in order to keep Maci (its a girl) baking. I am counting the days till the 24 week goal. 21w5d today so we are getting there!

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Carrie,

I had an emergency cerclage placed at 20wks. By 28wks I had funneled all the way down to the stitch and it was, essentially, the only thing holding my babies in. Though I continued to have ptl issues and pre-eclampsia, I did make it to nearly 35wks!

Hang in there, it's a hard and worrisome road but things can end well!