FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lynnette
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

28 weeks and 1cm dilated

I am 28 weeks yesturday. we went in for a routine exam and I am 1cm dilated. I have been having BH for some time now. they never get regular and are painful but never really regular. so I never thought anything. This is my fourth pregnancy. I have 2 children. 7 years old a boy and a 18 month old daughter.
    But because we were just being cautious she did an exam thinking we would find nothing. But then found i am 1cm dilated. I have to go tomorrow for a FFn ( couldnt do it because of the exam) I have to wait 48 hours from the exam or any sex contact or anything. But what can I do? she had said that she doesnt believe in bed rest because the studies have been inconslusive for helping. I have 2 kids and am a stay at home mom. My husband works like crazy so bed rest isnt exactly what I can do. I still have to cook I still have to do the laundry and I still have to make sure the kids dont kill themsleves. so bed rest isnt going to work for me anyways. i have been taking it easy though.

But I guess my question is, How long can I stay at 1 cm? i had a very short labor with my dd. 4 hours from when I broke my water to the time I had her.
    I worry that my cervix will just go.
    How do you stop it if you have had no contractions? or little ones?
    I hate just waiting.
    I am only 28 week.
    does anyone have any advice or tips for me anyone who has been threw this?
    before I was hoping for a big baby now I am just hhoping for a baby on time.
    thanks
    lynnette

2. Advertisement

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lynnette,

Sorry to hear this news and I have to say that you are having contractions not BH's. BH's do not cause cervical changes while contractions do and being 1cm dilated at 28 wks is certainly a cervical change.

Is your doctor taking any preventative measures such as putting you on tocolytics to help prevent further contractions, or starting you on P17 injections to help ward off preterm labor/delivery? Have your dr. done any vaginal cultures to rule in/out an infection that might be causing this? Lastly, has s/he discussed giving you steroid shots to help mature your little ones' lungs just in case?

Lastly, while your doctor might feel bedrest is inconclusive, it has helped a large number of women, myself included, so perhaps that is something you might want to consider doing on your own?

I started having contractions at 14wks in my last pg and was placed on terbutaline. I then had a cerclage (because of rapid cervical shortening over a 6 day period) at 20wks and spent 17wks on strict bedrest. By 28wks, I was completely funneled to my cerclage (meaning the cerclage was the only thing keeping my babies in) and needed to "graduate" to mag sulfate.

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lynette~

I have to second what Jillie has said about bedrest...while it is inconclusive by studies, my peri told me that the reason it is inconclusive is because it is ver difficult to find high risk pg women who are willing to risk being in the test group that doesn't do the bedrest.

I know many women (myself included) that have done quite a bit of bedrest. It's hard, it isn't easy to relinguish care of your house, your child/ren, your life to another human being, but if it helps your baby from being born prematurely, it is worth it. Logically it just makes sense: if you take weight off your cervix, it has less chance of dilating.

Jillie is also correct that BH don't cause cervical changes but that contractions do. It doesn't matter if your contractions aren't regular, aren't painful and don't go full across your belly.

Your question: How long can I stay one cm dilated? There is no answer to that...you could stay that way until 41 weeks. You could deliver your baby tmro. However, there are a lot of things you can do to help increase your chances of your baby being born closer to 40 weeks then 30-talk to your doctor about getting your contractions controlled. Talk to her/him about restrictions you can do (even if you can't do full bedrest, there are certain things that are much more taxing then others-- the stairs, for example) I don't know if a cerclage can be placed when you are already dilated-but it's worth asking. Also ask about a pessiere-a small device inserted through the vaginal canal that rests on the pubic bone and takes pressure off the cervix.

Good luck.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

wcl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC and Jillie,

You seem to have experience with this, so I think I've come to the right place!

My daughter (30 weeks with a boy) was put on Terbutaline yesterday. She was having frequent contractions and her cervix was a little shortened. Although I'm concerned about preterm labor, I'm also very concerned about her being on this drug. She's been so careful throughout her pg, and very cautious about not taking anything potentially harmful to herself or the baby.

I hope the benefits outweigh the risks. Is there anything you can tell me that would make me feel better about it??

Thank you,
    wcl

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wcl
    BC and Jillie,

You seem to have experience with this, so I think I've come to the right place!

My daughter (30 weeks with a boy) was put on Terbutaline yesterday. She was having frequent contractions and her cervix was a little shortened. Although I'm concerned about preterm labor, I'm also very concerned about her being on this drug. She's been so careful throughout her pg, and very cautious about not taking anything potentially harmful to herself or the baby.

I hope the benefits outweigh the risks. Is there anything you can tell me that would make me feel better about it??

Thank you,
    wcl
    I replied to your post on the General Pg bb and hope you feel more comfortable.

wcl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    April and Jillie,

Thank you so much for your replies and help. I've posted my concerns on a few forums, hoping to reach as many people as possible with this issue to get some reassurance. Hope that's okay. I don't want to go against any protocols!

I will bring your answers to my daughter today. I think it will help her to know she's not alone in this problem of preterm contractions with cervical changes, that many other doctors prescribe Terbutaline for it (it seems to be the treatment of choice, actually), and that so many women have gone on to have healthy term babies after taking it.

The important thing (I'm learning) is to get the contractions under control so she can keep this baby going for another 6 weeks. It seems like such a short time, yet such a long time too!

wcl

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lynnette -

I was 1/2 cm dilated and nearly fully effaced at 30 weeks - I went to 36 weeks on terbutaline and modified bedrest. I actually needed to be induced because of pre-eclampsia - so yes you can be a little dilated for a LONG time. Definitely talk to your doc about whether you would benefit from some meds.

As for the bedrest, I was on only Modified, not full bedrest. Basically I was to rest as much as possible when at home and could go out for 1 quick errand a day. I know it is hard with other children (I had none at the time) but it is really important to keep that baby in there as long as possible. Think about how hard it would be to run back and forth from the NICU and take care of your other children. Your 7 year old should understand that you can't move around a whole lot- just get lots of quieter activities, watch him/her play outside while you sit/lie down etc. Don't feel badly if you have to resort to TV/videos. Get ready made dinners and let the house get dirty. Your baby is more important.

Hoping that baby stays put for many weeks to come!

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00
    La

Lynnette
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all. I went in yesturday morning after being woke up by contractions and waited an hour and then woke my husband and called the MW. and I went in. they did the FFN and it was neg. ( which is very reassuring. it has a 96% chance of not going into labor)
    and they had a real hard time getting lil ones HB due to her doing flips and not getting the contractions I was feeling. They would come up and then not. I was like are you kidding me? Is this thing broken. I had 2 kids I went threw 2 labors. I know the difference between real and h contractions. BUT they were not getting closer not getting more painful. I was just extremely nervouse seeing as I had made cervical changes.
    But everything looked good. I didnt show on the contraction monitor and I didnt make change on my cervix. (so I am fine with having contractions if it is not making chnage. sucks but I can deal. )
    Then I failed my GD test. 1piont over.
    SO I go in today. for a nutritionist.

They said nothing about terbutiline. Or a P17 shot.
    I guess i just have to wait. I am trying to relax.
    Thank you I will let you know how everything goes.
    lynnette

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lynnette -

I'm glad things seem to have calmed down some. But, you (as in anybody) CANNOT always tell the difference between REAL contractions and BH - PTL is not necessarily painful like regular labor. But they can still change your cervix. My PTL was NOT at all painful - just hardening of the belly.

I have nothing against midwives, but are you working with an OB too? It seems like it might be worth a consult if you are having any problems with dilation and possibly GD. Does your MW work with one? I would also think you may want to look into a steroid shot to help develop the baby's lungs "just in case"

Janice

AmyA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have disagree about not doing bedrest. Even if it's not conclusive it's worth it because if you can delay delivery even an extra week by taking it easy that is way less time in the hospital for your baby and potentially less health problems for the baby too. With my twins I was fingertip dilated & 50% effaced at 28 weeks and I went on couch rest(I could sit reclined or lay down). I could get up to fix lunch, go potty etc but that was it. My DH helped me out so that I didnt really get up except to move from couch to bed and go to the bathroom. He made me some food & snacks daily too and bottles of water to limit my getting up. I did continue to dilate and efface in the next weeks I dilated to a 2, 3 and then 4. I stayed at a 4 from 32-35 weeks and at 35w2d my water broke. I contracted so much that I really believe had I not been off my feet it would have happened weeks earlier. My babies only had to stay in the hospital 6 & 9 days and it could have been so much worse. A friend of mine delivered at 33 wks, only 2 weeks difference and her baby was in the hospital for a month!!! He was much more behind developmentally too. My kiddos were hardly delayed at all. I know you have kids but at least try to sit/lay down as much as you possibly can. Have your dh prepare food for the kids the day before and bring you baskets of laundry to fold while you sit on the couch. Let him get up and put the clothes away. Sure you may have to get up occasionally to tend to the kids but get up as little as possible! It may make a huge difference!!!
    Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast