FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on progesterone and bleeding

I'm desperate for some good advice on which progesterone to take. I will be 6 wks pregnant tomorrow and I've been spotting for 2 weeks at first it was dark brown for a week and a half then it picked up to bright red. I was really worried and the doctor brought me in for an ultrasound (also to check out my high hcg levels.. (36,847 at 22 DPO) at the time of the ultrasound we saw the baby and a good heart beat then the bleeding got worse after the ultrasound. Like a heavy period. I went in for another blood test yesterday and my levels were still rising and baby appears to be ok. The blood was flushing the progesterone suppositories right out so I was worried that I wasn't getting the progesterone I needed to support the baby. My doctor switched me to the oral kind... I'm reading that it's not very effective. Should I switch back now that my bleeding has slowed down a bit.. (like the end of your period, only there when I wipe and a little on a pad) sorry if TMI. I'm trying to do whatever I can to support this baby. I can't stand to lose another..I've had 5 losses.

2. Advertisement

kasey g
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best, by a landslide, are injections. I swear by them. They are the only form that stopped my bleeding and reduced my cramping. I used a 1.5 inch needle in my hip and injected 1 cc (50 mg of progesterone daily-not weekly!)a day for the first 17 weeks and then switched to 17 hydroxyprogesterone. I bled the worst with suppositories and a little with prometrium and within 24 hours of starting the injections, the bleeding stopped. I am now 21 weeks, so it at least helped me through the first trimester. The shots are painful but so worthwhile. I had to beg and plead to get them and demonstrate that I could do it but I would do it a hundred more times for the difference they made. Good luck!

Kasey

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks so much for the info...so you bled too?!Please tell me about it. what did you start on? I was on Crinon 8% progesterone gel, and had brown spotting that lasted a week and a half. I switched to the progesterone suppositories then I started bleeding bleeding ( it could have been coincidence, I was only on them one day) then I switched back to the gel, until I was bleeding so much it wouldn't stay in. I asked for injectable but my doctor wasn't familiar w/ it and gave me oral. I'm worried b/c I read the oral isn't very good. My bleeding slowed and I went back on the suppositories today. But I am scared they will trigger more bleeding.

TriciaJ
    is blessed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry you are dealing with so much right now. Bleeding of any kind can be terrifying. I never had a flow that was quite as hard as you are describing but I too was on PIO (progesterone in oil) injections. I took 1 cc each night. I hope that things get better for you soon.

XOXO
    Tricia
    Tricia
    Blessed with my soul mate on 9/21/1996

Then we were both blessed with:
    DD-Sydney 7/29/1997
    DS-Ryan b/d 6/25/2004
    DS-Joshua 6/25-26/2004
    DS-Nathan 1/19/2006
    ^i^ 6/99 (ectopic) & ^i^ 11/01 (m/c)

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    well my hcg went up and the doctor thinks I'm ok... I may go in for another ultrasound this week to make sure. I feel better but I wish this darn bleeding would quit!

SammysMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was on the PIO shots until week 9 and had spotting until then. As soon as I stopped the PIO shots, the spotting stopped. I'm convinced that it was the extra progesterone causing it. Good luck.

kasey g
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my 9th pregnancy so I have tried a wide array of progesterone in every form available. I try to start injections as soon as I have a positive pregnancy test. I took prochieve 8% and had pink clumps and bright red bleeding and prometrium and pink tinged discharge. The cream on my stomach led to bright red bleeding and miscarriage. I will be happy to discuss them all in detail if you want but it is long and involves a lot of loss so let me know if you really want details. My doctor was so against the injections that my husband called and begged him to give them to me because he couldn't stand to hear me say that every loss was because they would not give me injections. As soon as a man asked, he called in the prescription. Typical doctor. Even if the us looks good and the hcg is improving, I would still push for shots if you are still bleeding. Not to scare you, but if you are willing to do everything you can, I personally would push. But then again, I am neurotic. I have 2 kids and I bled with both of them and I have bled with this pregnancy so it is hard to tell if it is serious or not. I also cramped the whole first trimester and about an hour before my injections at night, I would start cramping this time as well. Also, my progesterone levels were all within normal limits and without extra progesterone, I miscarried anyhow. This made it harder to get injections because my levels were already good.

Kasey

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Kasey G child mentioned

kasey g I've had a fair amount of losses myself, it doesn't upset me to hear about them. They are unfortunatly a big part of my life so far. This is my 7th pregnancy and I have one live birth so far. He's two now. My bleeding has disapeared and I only have a orange brown tinged spotting, very little. I THINK the Crinone Gel started the bleeding. I read from some site that the progesterone accumulates in there and irritates the lining, the one girl recommended cleaning it out?! how do you do that?! TMI! anyways...I've been on the oral for two days, hopefully that gave my body a rest and I want to start the suppositories I used for my son now b/c I didn't have anything like this w/ him. I think if the spotting continues or starts again I may be brave enough to ask about the injections. I'm really scared of them, but I don't think I could stand another loss, so I've gotta give this pregnancy my best effort. Tell me about yourself. My history is mostly written in my profile. -me ps how far along are you now?

kasey g
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will send you a private message about my situation when I have more time and that way, everyone else doesn't have to be subjected to it. The shots-just so you know, really only hurt for the first week or two and then, my skin got so tough there, I could only tell if the needle was in, if I looked. I will keep you in my prayers but I am glad the bleeding has slowed down. Good luck and I will give you more details tomorrow.

Kasey

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news!! we had our 2nd ultrasound today and eveything is going well! We saw the heart beating away and the bleeding has almost completely stopped. The doctor couldn't figure out why I bled so badly, but he thinks things are looking fine. I'm in shock, I just didn't know you could bleed so much and go on to have a normal pregnancy. I was so sure I was going to lose the baby. Thanks for the encouragement and letters!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast