FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    gelondean
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb High FSH AND low AMH

I'm 36 yo and after 2 yrs TTC found out last week that my FSH is 15 and AMH is .1 After reading more about these levels, I read that AMH can actually be a better predictor of likelihood of conceiving, and if this is the case, I'm in real trouble (I read that anything under .3 is "very low"). I am feeling so helpless and of course devastated. Is anyone out there who had similar AMH levels? Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated! (Starting next cycle my RE wants to put me on Clomid for one cycle then move onto IVF soon after.)

2. Advertisement

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I dont really know much about AMH since my clinic has never tested mine. What clinic are you at? Im also from Ohio.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

gelondean
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about an hour from Cleveland, so I'm going to a satellite Clev. Clinic office in Youngstown, Oh. You?

Tamara43
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gelondean
    Welcome! This forum has lots and lots of very useful information on it.

I am (almost) 39. I have high fsh and low amh also. Prior to being tested, I was on 100 mg of clomid. I'm still annoyed at that first RE who put me on clomid without testing my fsh etc. My fsh was likely already high, and those three months were a complete waste of time. I suspect the more you research and read, the more you'll see stories of clomid not being useful, at all, for women with fsh levels this high. Clomid is a first response, best given to women under 35 who aren't ovulating on their own. If you are, clomid may or may not help you. But add high fsh into the mix, and it probably won't.

FSH fluctuates naturally each month. AMH doesn't. FSH is a measure of how well you will respond to stimulating drugs. As between clomid and injectables (Follistim, Gonal F, Puregon etc) the injectables are the "heavy hitters.

There is much debate amongst REs as to whether to wait for fsh to fluctuate down before doing an injectables cycle, or stimm'ing with high fsh. I'm presently waiting/hoping for my fsh to be lower next cycle so that my RE will stim me (here in Canada, the general practice is no stims if high than 14). I'm not sure where you are located, but it's something to start thinking about.

That's not to say you can't get pg. Women with high fsh do - it just takes longer and will be likely more difficult. There are also things that you can try to bring down your fsh - wheatgrass and acupuncture are two that you will commonly seen taken on this site and others. The "science" is still out on them for fertility, but they have other health benefits too and certainly won't hurt your fertility. (I take both). Caffeine, smoking, alcohol etc are all things that many of us with high fsh try to cut out or cut back on.

Recent studies in Toronto, where I am, are seeing really positive results in taking large doses (600-800mgs/day) of CoQ10, a powerful antioxidant that is thought to perhaps "buff and polish" egg quality (it won't help with quantity). My RE has me on 800 mgs a day since early Nov - it takes 3-4 mos to see any affects.

Good luck to you.

Tamara

babymaking2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    gelondean – Welcome to this forum. You came to a great place to get help and support. There many knowledgeable ladies here!
    I know how devastating it is to receive the news your AMH is low and you have high FSH. Please don’t give up hope. You can still get your dream. You need to find a RE that is friendly about this situation, and someone that wants to be aggressive. Tamara is right – FSH will go up and down. AMH does not go up and down – it just gets lower each month. It’s something you don’t want to waste time with. My opinion only – Stay away from Clomid. I had one cycle on Clomid. It does not help with the egg quality, so you are just throwing your precious eggs away that you have such few of. Wow - It did horrible things to me (hot flashes, terrible mood swings, hives, and the list goes on)! I also think it raised my FSH (from 12.7 to 20 in one month) for my next cycle that was canceled, because of it. Check with your RE to see if she/he is willing to do injectables instead – maybe Follistim. Anything but Clomid!
    Please don’t give up. You can still get pregnant with low AMH. There are several here that have had success even though they had low AFM.
    Sending you lots of hugs!

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am with the Cleveland clinic too. I am at the Beachwood campus. This will be my 4th attemp with them but Ive only made it to ER once and hopefully will again this time. I did get PG last time although I m/c at 12 weeks. They are very good!!
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

gelondean
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

BC-tnahope - Thank you for your reply and information. I will be sending positive vibes from this side of Ohio for you! It makes me feel better that you have confidence in the clinic, even if we're at separate locations.

Tamara43- Wow! What great information. I am investigating the wheatgrass, acupuncture, and CoQ10. I must admit, I have to cut my caffeine and this has been the wake up call I needed. Finally, the info. on the Clomid was very helpful and you explained it in a way that makes much more sense. Thank you!!

Babymaking2 - Those side effects of clomid you described were identical of what my boss at work said she went through. She said she literally had to close her door at work to prevent her from killing someone. Yikes!

Thanks to all of you for replying to me!!! I'll keep you all posted.

awaitinganangel
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi everyone on this thread!

I too was just told yesterday that my AMH level is only .07 and it should be at least a 1 or higher. Has anyone had any luck conceiving with IVF or naturally with such a low AMH?

I tried 2 IUI's and they did not work. I was planning on starting IVF in April until I got this news yesterday about the AMH. I am not sure if my chances are still good for IVF now. It's so upsetting.

Any success stories would be great!

Thanks and good luck to all of you guys!

futuremother
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too

Hi people. Just thought I'd chime in as well. I'm a low AMH person (0.1). Yuck. It is a difficult diagnosis. I have read some success stories for women who have used either DHEA or some sort of estrogen replacement/priming with injectables.

One bit of advice. I'd stay away from clomid. It doesn't typically work for us. I had a very very bad response to it. I responded to it by spiking my FSH and LH went out of control. Any follicles that I had decided to go away and hide. I am just now getting back to normal after that little adventure. Hopefully I have a few good eggs left to make it happen. Good luck to you all!!!

babymaking2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    awaitinganangel and futuremother – Hi there. I know the devastation you both are feeling. I got the blow that my AMH was .039 in August. I thought I was doomed.
    My next cycle I did Follistim/IUI. It was my miracle month - Currently I am 18 weeks pregnant. It is possible to getting PG when you have low AMH, but you need a RE ready to work with you, and have an open mind. Please don’t give up hope!!!
    You came to the right group for support, and to make new friends.
    Please keep us posted!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast