FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can wheatgrass/diet/lifestyle "artificially" lower FSH or is it considered "natural"?

Okay, I'm confused. Though not a huge drop and it could very well had to do with other dietary/lifestyle changes I made or could have been a fluke, my FSH dropped from 14 to 8 in three months when I was drinking wheatgrass. I was on another forum and responded to a woman who says "with females, there's no way to lower FSH." I explained that she was not correct and mine lowered yada yada yada. She responded back "Doctors consider you only as good as your highest number, so even if you do manage to lower it artificially with supplements, dietary changes, etc... it's not a true number. Per my RE (who is a doctor and experienced professional... not someone on (the forum I was one) with no medical training...) lowering FSH is like turning off the fire alarm. The alarm may be off, but the house is still burning inside."

I just feel that the changes in my life may have helped a bit. My 4th IVF cycle, after making these changes, was much better than the others will no protocol change. My egg and ultimately embryo quality went from okay/poor to "Beautiful." Am I just "artificially" suppressed? Is my highest FSH my "True" number? Is my "house still burning inside"?

2. Advertisement

anabelle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    doctors may not support the idea that wheatgrass helps because no one wants to spend the money to prove a hollistic approach to improving ovarian function/lowering FSH really works. You might enjoy reading Julia Indichova's book "Inconcievable" - she talks about all the hollistic stuff she tried to lower FSH and eventually became pregnant.
    I personally think there is something to wheatgrass etc. There is still so much about ovarian function particularly POI that doctors seem to be clueless about (I've seen 5 doctors in top clinics in California).

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I do think there is something to it too. No idea why. Maybe it's good adding one more healthy thing to your diet.

I read Julia Indichova's book. I bought it all except for the colon cleanse
    Me (41) DH (39)
    Married 16 years

TTC #1 6+ years Dx: High FSH, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, + anticardiolipin antibodies, one bad tube left.

IVF #1 BFN
    IVF #2 Ectopic
    IVF #3 BFN
    IVF #4 BFP missed m/c
    FET #1 November 2009 BFP! Beta 9dpt 242 11dpt 309 13dpt 917 missed m/c
    FET #2 Who knows? 4 waiting

anabelle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol! yeah, the colon cleanse is a little crazy.

MaritsaM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When I had my consult w/CCRM, I asked about wheatgrass, royal jelly, etc.. and they told me to only do wheatgrass. hope that helps!
    Me (36) - DOR - Stage IV Endo - High FSH
    DH (40) Perfect

Nov. 2008 IUI #1 BFN
    Dec. 2008 IUI #2 BFN
    Feb. 2009 IVF #1 BFN
    Sept 2009 IVF #2 No ET
    May 2010 IVF#3 BFN
    July 2010 Mini IVF #1 BFN
    August 2010 Mini IVF #2 - Embie on Ice
    September 2010 Mini IVF #3 - BFP!!!!!!
    It's a Boy!!!!!!!!

Nic37
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marnie - I have had two REs tell me the wheatgrass "artificially" suppresses FSH BUT I have also had a very good RE tell me that it is natural. He also believes in TCM and acupuncture, etc. I think western medicine will always say the natural remedies are artificial (but all those meds they give us, I guess those are "natural" ) I think that diet changes, acupuncture and items like wheatgrass can improve FSH levels and other issues we have with our bodies. Some REs believe DHEA can improve egg quality and the number we produce. Is that artificial or natural? What if it is naturally returning our bodies back to the balance they should be? I know when I took Wheatgrass it drastically lowered my FSH. Many women on this thread have used it and gotten PG. Is it the Wheatgrass? Maybe, but no one can say it is not healthy for you. Even if it artifically lowers your FSH, who cares? If it means less FSH in your system how is that a bad thing? Women with high FSH means that their FSH began rising at the end of the prior cycle which causes a high CD3 FSH and the body getting ready to ovulate an egg before it is ready. So if wheatgrass means you are not doing that anymore, whether natural or artificial, it is not a bad thing. Not any different than the REs giving us BCPs or estrogen or the other variety of drugs they use to artifically suppress us, artifically stimulate us, etc. Good luck!
    Me 39 DH 38
    TTC 3 years
    Highest FSH 30.5
    Hyrdrosalpinx Left Tube
    10/07; 11/07; 12/07 IUIs BFNs
    3/08 IVF#1 BFN
    5/08 IVF#2 No ET
    2/09 IVF#3 BFN
    3/09 - Natural PG - M/C

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Marnie I agree with Nic, whether is natural or artificial, who cares. And yes some Dr's do say you are only as good as your highest number BUT you can have a much better cycle when it is lower and on Wheat grass, and like you said you could have some beautiful embies. It is good for you and it isn't going to hurt anything.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ladies!!! I just chugged down my wheat grass shots!
    Me (41) DH (39)
    Married 16 years

TTC #1 6+ years Dx: High FSH, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, + anticardiolipin antibodies, one bad tube left.

IVF #1 BFN
    IVF #2 Ectopic
    IVF #3 BFN
    IVF #4 BFP missed m/c
    FET #1 November 2009 BFP! Beta 9dpt 242 11dpt 309 13dpt 917 missed m/c
    FET #2 Who knows? 4 waiting

Alioop
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    I found this info about wheatgrass while goggling through the internet. It is long, but really shows the benefits of Wheatgrass. There is even a point that farmers use it on sterile cows to bring on fertility. WOW!!!! Artificial or natural - if farmers are doing it why can't we?!

WHEATGRASS... Increases red blood cell count, lowers blood pressure...It cleanses the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract of debris. It stimulates metabolism and bodily enzyme systems in enriching the blood by increasing red blood cell count, and in dilating the blood pathways throughout the body, reducing blood pressure.

Stimulates the thyroid, correcting obesity, indigestion, etc. The thyroid gland is also stimulated and normalized by the use of wheat grass juice - an important step toward the correction of obesity, indigestion and a host of other complaints.

Restores alkalinity to the blood...Wheatgrass has an alkalizing effect on the blood. Its abundance of alkaline min*erals helps reduce overacidity in the blood. It can be used to relieve many inter*nal pains. It has been used successfully to treat peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, constipation, diarrhea, and other complaints of the gastrointestinal tract.

How to drink it...Ann Wigmore suggests drinking Wheatgrass juice in small amounts throughout the course of the day, always on an empty or nearly empty stomach. In general, two to four ounces every day or every other day is sufficient. Slowly sipping small quantities of the juice gives your body an opportunity to get used to its taste and effect. Taking one to two-ounce drinks straight or mixed with other juices (fruit & vegetable) and sipping slowly, will help prevent nausea or stom*ach upset. On a healing regime, Ann suggests you drink one or two oz up to 3 or 4 x a day. And to take one day of rest.

Powerful detoxifier and liver and blood protector...The enzymes and amino acids found in Wheatgrass can protect us from carcinogens like no other food or medicine can. It strengthens our cells, detoxifies the liver, bloodstream, and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants.

Fights tumors and neutralizes toxins....Recent studies show that Wheatgrass juice has a powerful ability to fight tumors without the usual toxicity of drugs that also inhibit cell-destroying agents. The many active compounds found in grass juice can cleanse the blood and neutralize and digest toxins in our cells.

Whether you have a cut finger you want to heal or you desire to lose five pounds...enzymes must do the actual work. The life and abilities of the enzymes found naturally in our bodies can be extended if we help them from the outside by adding exogenous enzymes, like the ones found in Wheatgrass juice.

Remarkable similarity to our own blood...The 2nd important nutritional aspect of chlorophyll is its remarkable similarity' to hemoglobin, the compound that carries oxygen in the blood. Dr. Hagiwara a Japanese science and health educator, is a leading advocate for the use of grass as food and medicine. He reasons that since chlorophyll is soluble in fat particles, and since fat particles are absorbed directly in to the blood via the lymphatic system, that chlorophyll can also be absorbed in this way. In other words, when the "blood" of plants is absorbed in humans it is transformed into human blood, which transports nutrients to every cell of the body.

Wheatgrass implants reverse damage from inside the lower bowel...In the case of illness, they stimulate a rapid cleansing of the lower bowel and draw out accumulations of debris. Hold for 20 minutes.

Externally eliminates itching almost immediately...Wheatgrass juice externally applied to the skin can help eliminate itching al*most immediately.

It will soothe sunburned skin...and also acts as a disinfectant. Rubbed into the scalp before a shampoo, it will help mend damaged hair and alleviate itchy, scaly scalp conditions.

Wheatgrass juice is soothing and healing for...cuts, burns, scrapes, rashes, poison ivy, athlete's foot, insect bites, boils, sores , open ulcers, tumors & so on.

As a sleep aid...merely place a tray of living Wheatgrass near the head of your bed. It will en*hance the oxygen in the air and generate healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly. Use as a poultice and replace every two to four hours.

Add some to your bath water...and settle in for a nice, long soak.

Gargle with wheatgrass...to sweeten the breath and firm up and tighten gums.

Don't cook it...We can only get the benefits of the many enzymes found in grass by eating it uncooked. Cooking destroys 100 percent of the enzymes in food.

Neutralizes toxins...Wheatgrass neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury and polyvinyl chloride.

The benefits of a liquid oxygen transfusion...Wheatgrass juice contains liquid oxygen. Oxygen is vital to many body pro*cesses: it stimulates digestion (the oxidation of food), clearer thinking (the brain utilizes 25 percent of the bodily oxygen supply), and protective oxygenation of the blood (a defense against anaerobic bacteria). Cancer cells cannot exist in the presence of oxygen.

Turns gray hair to its natural color again, raises energy levels...Daily consumption of Wheatgrass and sprouts can turn gray hair to its natural color again, and give you a limitless energy level.

Beauty treatment that slows down the aging process...Wheatgrass will cleanse your blood and help rejuvenate aging cells, slowing the aging process down, way down, making you feel more alive now. It will help tighten loose and sagging skin.

Lessens effect of radiation...One enzyme found in Wheatgrass, SOD, lessens the effects of radiation and acts as an anti-inflammatory compound that may prevent cellular damage fol*lowing heart attacks or exposure to irritants.

Restores fertility...Wheatgrass restores fertility and promotes youthfulness.

Just soaking in it can double your red blood cell count...Dr. Bernard Jensen, found that none of the blood builders are superior to green juices and Wheatgrass. In his book Chlorophyll Magic from Living Plant Life, he mentions several cases where he was able to double the red blood cell count in a matter of days merely by having patients soak in a chlorophyll-water bath. Blood building results occur even more rapidly when patients drink green juices and Wheatgrass regularly.

Ann Wigmore on her own experience with wheatgrass...At fifty years of age my hair was gray, I had a terrible case of colitis and other colon problems, I suffered from low energy and had no clear direction in life. Out of desperation I turned to nature for relief. ...In Wheatgrass, raw foods and exercise, I found what I feel is as close to the fountain of youth as we are going to get. Twenty-five years after my discovery, my hair was turned fully natural brown again. My weight has been a stable 119 and my energy level is limitless...

What's So Great About Wheat Grass Juice?*

1. Wheatgrass juice is 70% chlorophyll.

2. Chlorophyll is the first product of light and con*tains more light energy than any other element.

3. Wheatgrass juice is a crude chlorophyll and can be taken orally and as a colon implant without toxic side effects.

4. Chlorophyll is the basis of all plant life.

5. Wheatgrass is high in oxygen like all green plants that contain chlorophyll. The brain and all body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly-oxygenated environment.

6. Chlorophyll is anti-bacterial and can be used inside and outside the body as a healer.

7. Dr. Bernard Jensen says that it only takes min*utes to digest Wheatgrass juice and uses up very little body energy.

8. Science has proven that chlorophyll arrests growth and development of unfriendly bacteria.

9. Chlorophyll (Wheatgrass) rebuilds the blood*stream. Studies of various animals have shown chlorophyll to be free of any toxic reaction. The red cell count was returned to normal with 4 to 5 days of the administration of chlorophyll, even in those animals which were known to be ex*tremely anemic or low in red cell count.

10. Farmers in the Midwest who have sterile cows and bulls put them on Wheatgrass to restore fertility. (The high magnesium content in chloro*phyll builds enzymes that restore the sex hor*mones.)

11. Chlorophyll can be extracted from many plants, but Wheatgrass is superior because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man. If grown in organic soil, it ab*sorbs 92 of the known 102 minerals from the soil.

12. Wheatgrass has what is called the grass juice factor, which has been shown to keep herbivo*rous animals alive indefinitely.

13. Dr. Ann Wigmore has been helping people get well from chronic disorders for 30 years using Wheatgrass.

14. Liquid chlorophyll gets into the tissues, refines them, and makes them over.

15. Wheatgrass juice is a superior detoxification agent compared to carrot juice and other fruits and vegetables. Dr. Earp Thomas, associate of Ann Wigmore, says that 15 pounds of Wheatgrass is the equivalent of 350 pounds of carrots, lettuce, celery and so on.

16. Liquid chlorophyll washes drug deposits from the body.

17. Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body.

18. Chlorophyll helps purify the liver.

19. Chlorophyll improves blood sugar problems.

20. Wheatgrass juice cures acne and even removes scars after it has been ingested for seven to eight months. The diet must be improved at the same time.

21. In The American Journal of Surgery (1940), Benjamin Cruskin. M.D. recommended chlorophyll: to clear up foul-smelling odors, neutralize strep infections, heal wounds, hasten skin grafting, cure chronic sinusitis, over*come chronic inner-ear inflammation and infec*tions, reduce varicose veins and heal leg ulcers, eliminate impetigo and other scabby eruptions, heal rectal sores, successfully treat inflammation of the uterine cervix, get rid of parasitic vaginal infections, reduce typhoid fever, and cure advanced pyorrhea in many cases.

22. Wheatgrass juice acts as a detergent in the body and is used as a body deodorant.

23. A small amount of Wheatgrass juice in the human diet prevents tooth decay.

24. Wheatgrass juice held in the mouth for 5 minutes will eliminate toothaches and poisons from gums.

25. Gargle with wheatgrass juice for a sore throat.

26. Pyorrhea of the mouth: lay pulp of Wheatgrass soaked in juice on diseased area in mouth or chew Wheatgrass. Spit out out pulp.

27. Drink Wheatgrass juice for skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.

28. Wheatgrass juice keeps the hair from graying.

29. By taking Wheatgrass juice, one may feel a difference in strength, endurance, health, and spiritual*ity and experience a sense of well-being.

30. Wheatgrass juice improves the digestion.

31. It is great for blood disorders of all kinds. 32. Wheatgrass juice is high in enzymes.

33. Wheatgrass juice is an excellent skin cleanser and can be absorbed through the skin for nutrition. Pour green juice over your body in a tub of warm water and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.

34. Wheatgrass implants (enemas) are great for healing and detoxifying the colon walls. The implants also heal and cleanse the internal organs. After an enema, wait 20 minutes, then implant 4-ounces of Wheatgrass juice. Retain or 20 minutes.

35. Wheatgrass juice is great for constipation and keeping the bowels open. It is high in magnesium.

36. Dr. Birscher a research scientist, called chlorophyll "concentrated sun power." He said, “Chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, the uterus and the lungs."

37. According to Dr. Birscher, nature uses chlorophyll (Wheatgrass) as a body cleanser, rebuilder and neutralizer of toxins.

38. Wheatgrass juice can dissolve the scars that are formed in the lungs from breathing acid gasses. The effect of carbon monoxide is minimized since chlorophyll increases hemoglobin production.

39. Wheatgrass juice reduces high blood pressure as it enhances the capillaries.

40. Wheatgrass juice can remove heavy metals from the body.

Fireflyxx
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Alioop - I have taken wheatgrass but I just wanted to say that you have to be very careful about what you read about it on the internet. I did a lot of research on wheatgrass trying to find backup to the claims and it seems that there have been next to no actual medical studies verifying most claims. So there are a lot of people who think it has benefits and a lot of people who think it's bunk.

Like most natural or holistic things, if it doesn't make someone money no one will do any real studies on it which totally sucks. So many medicines come from plants but there are few studies done on totally natural supplements - probably due to dosage issues (control over how much substance is in each pill or whatever). You can see the confusion with almost all supplements - ex. reversitol - one study says great things but dosage in study was amazingly high and done on rats I think - supplements out there are from different sources, in different forms, and at different dosages.

Another thing with natural medicines is that even though there are usually few studies done - some of these things obviously help some sets of people.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't buy into the concept that anything is a wonder supplement and you have to take all claims with a grain of salt.

Anyway - just my two, unasked for, cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast