FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Feona
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Treatment for Ovarian Antibodies

I am 31 yrs old and have been ttc since July '08. I was dx'd June '09 with POF as I had high FSH.

Over the next few months I also learned I have Hashimoto's disease (anti-thyroid antibodies which caused my hypothyroidism) and I haven't been tested yet, but my RE believes I also have ovarian anti-bodies that may have damaged my ovaries. No MD I've talken to has given me any hope for treatment.

I'm reading about the Prednizone and how it can help to treat ovarian anti-bodies and increase your chances of getting pregnant.

Has anyone gone through this or know anything about it?

Thanks for your help!

2. Advertisement

sdeut
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to see a reproductive immunologist and had all of those tests and was put on a lot of meds (including prednisone) for IVF # 3. I had some of the best looking embryos during that cycle. I am currently 6 1/2 weeks with twins. So I think it helps but there is a lot of conflicting information.
    Me 33 DH 33
    Highest FSH 17
    2 chemical pg
    Zachary B 4/22/08 D 6/24/08 (due to SMA)
    IVF #1 w/PGD - ectopic
    IVF #2 - m/c 9 weeks

IVF #3 - BFP - Twins are here

AZchic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know too much about this issue, but I know that SI*RM LV puts everyone on a steriod prior to starting stims for IVF cycles. I'm not sure if this is to treat possible AOAs or to help with implantation, but I think the theory is that it can't really hurt, so they put everyone on it. I think they usually use dex instead of predinisone - and it's a relatively low dose.
    Me 30 DH 31
    High FSH 20.5, Endo
    IUI #1 (8/09) chemical
    IUI #2 (8/09) BFN
    IVF #1 12/09 BFP

Feona
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sdeut and AZchic, thanks for your replies. I will definitely ask my MD about prednizone or dex when I see her in Nov. I am willing to try anything.

When you were tested for your FSH level, did you do the clomid challenge test? When I first tested my FSH it was 11 (which is border line so they didn't even tell me) and then when I did the clomid challenge test it was 17 on day 3 and 33.7 on day 10, which then they said was POF. I'm wondering if it matters if you're on clomid or not when you're tested for FSH.

AZchic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Feona,

I have never done the clomid challenge test. My first FSH was 20.5 (at age 29). I'm also hypothyroid. My high FSH, along with my antral follicle counts, have confirmed DOR. My RE said that the CCT is of little value b/c with high fsh, you're not going to have a great response to stims. This doesn't mean that you can't get pregnant - just that it's tougher for us.

BTW, you are NOT POF if you're still getting your period - If you are still getting your period, you're probably DOR, but that just means that you have to be more aggressive at this point. Have you had an antral follicle count done?
    Me 30 DH 31
    High FSH 20.5, Endo
    IUI #1 (8/09) chemical
    IUI #2 (8/09) BFN
    IVF #1 12/09 BFP

Feona
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AZchic,

Thanks for your reply. It's so nice to talk to other women that are going through the same thing. I've been to so many doctors (OBGYN, 5 RE's, 1 Endo, 2 PCPs) in the past 6 months and no one can quite tell me what's happening with me.

I'm definitely getting my period every month (never missed it once) but I'm not ovulating on mhy own. What is DOR?

My antral follicle count was about 5 on one ovary and 4 follicles on the other. My RE said she expected between 5-7 eggs when I tried IVF this past August, but when I did the stims the ultrasound showed I had zero follicles so the IVF was cancelled.

However, when I took clomid I actually had follicles. I'm taking a break right now to figure things out before we try again. I'm now trying to figure out how to get my anti-bodies down, make sure my thryoid is under control, and then try IVF again in 6 months with clomid (instead of stims).