FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fantesia28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

HRT to restore ovulation?!?

Hello,

I have been told by my RE that trying HRT may restore ovarian function. He also said in the same sentence that it is not a proven fertility treatment and it is rare, but he has seen it happen. He went on to say that a recent patient was diagnosed with low reserve and went on HRT and conceived spontaneous twins.

So I am trying to research this as a last ditch effort. My FSH has ranged from 30-39 for the past 5 months... some cycles I have O'd, some I have not. IVF is not an option for us and honestly, I have been able to get pregnant when I O, just can't stay pregnant. It is being chalked up to bad egg quality. I guess I should add in that I am only 34!! So... long story short is when I do ovulate, I get pregnant easily, so I just need to have a normal ovulation with a healthy egg. I have always had regular cycles up until this March after my loss in February and then all hell broke loose.

I have tried acupuncture, herbs, DHEA and now this month clomid which appears to not be working. In a last ditch effort, I am considering trying the HRT, but am really wondering how it might work... I have searched online for studies, but have come up pretty empty handed. I did find one study that was suspended in June of this year that stated they thought that 50% of women under age 40 diagnosed with POF, ovulated spontaneously with HRT treatment... However, the study was discontinued this year and no final results are obviously displayed. I couldn't find anything else concrete either way.

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on this? One of my lines of thinking was couldn't you do HRT like this and possibly get results? So for the first 5 -7 days of your cycle take no estrogen, thus the high FSH can stimulate egg growth and then start the estrogen to help lower FSH/LH and potentially help the egg quality?!? I seriously made this up, but in my head it makes sense. I think traditional HRT though is estrogen for the first 12 days and then progesterone for the later half of the cycle. I don't know - just trying to get others thoughts/ideas/theories.

If you know of any studies or have received any information in the past on how this could help, I would greatly appreciate it! I am almost willing to try anything at this point!

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know of any studies. But alot of RE's will put your on Estrogen to bring down your FSH. And the progesterone would help with the luteal phase. My Ob wants me to use P4 starting on cd16, so I think with high FSH this may be common to have a Luteal phase defect. Its worth a try!!!

Have you done any tests to see why you miscarriage?
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

acw
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    fantesia- I've never heard of using hrt for that purpose. I will say that women with pof/dor do conceive spontaeously. what's your antral follicle count?

fantesia28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My AFC this month was like 4 or 5. In months past it's been under 6 each month. I have had every test known to man. The only thing that appears to be wrong with me is my high FSH, low AFC, Low AMH and I am hypothyroid. All of my recurrent testing, clotting, immune testing, NK Cells, etc. was fine.

The three months that I know I ovulated in the past nice months we have conceived... the problem is that we have lost those babes. One chemical and the other two after 8 weeks. We did not test the embryo either time, but suspect some sort of chromosonal problem.

I wonder if anyone else has been in this situation and given the same type of treatment?

nooir
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried
    hi fantesia28

i am 26 my fsh highst was 29 my dr gives me the hrt befor i use it i couldn't ovulate
    without medication but last month i had 25 mm folice by my own without any medications rather than the hrt
    the firest time my dr give it to me i did not like it i am only 26 and take hrt but i found this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ldest-mum.html
    Dr Geeta Nargund, head of reproductive medicine at St George's Hospital, London, said: "There are rare cases of spontaneous ovulation for women on HRT.
    "In the past we've seen it happen with women who have gone through early
    menopause. There's a very small chance of that happening.
    "It's possible for ovulation to continue on and off around the age of menopause but not once a woman is completely postmenopausal."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NUGinnLh

fantesia28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have decided to give this a shot! I have confirmed with the study coordinator at NIH that the meds used are Vivelle Dot Patch + Progesterone 12 days of the month. This study has shown that 50% of the people in the study have ovulated after being on HRT... and that the vivelle patch appears to decrease the LH levels to a normal range, thus if ovulation could happen it may prevent over-luetinization of a follicle. It was also shown the oral estrodial does not seem to suppress the LH levels... very interesting to say the least!

I figure it won't hurt... I will probably wait to take the progesterone until ovulation is confirmed... unless the cycle goes on too long of course! I am going to continue basal temps to monitor my cycle + I am considering buying a CBEFM as I have heard these work best for people with high FSH... my OPK's have been positive since CD9 this cycle and I on CD21! So I obviously have the high LH issue.

I will let you know how it goes.

Here is a link to one of the articles... the NIH has the study protocol listed if you google it.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...0&blobtype=pdf

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it is worth a try. Good luck!!!

You should check out Fertil*ity Friend.com It is very helpful in charting.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

fantesia28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have actually been using FF for years now. I think my charts go back to 2005, though I haven't always charted temps because we were not TTC all of this time.

I will let you know all know how it goes.

mcrisf
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

hi fantesia...did the HRT work?what kind of hormon replacement did you take?Provera?Angeliq?Did you get pregnant?I am having your same issues...
    Do you have more info about HRT and success stories?
    thanks

google_eyes
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice article. Basically the women had 100mcg estrogen patches, then for 12 days during their cycle they took progesterone as well. They didn't specify which cycle days, but I assume it's somewhere around CD12-24? or maybe CD14-26. I think that's the time when you are supposed to start cycling with progesterone. Then when you stop the progesterone, after a few days you are supposed to get your period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast