FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fer
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed

IVF Vacations

I saw a clip about this on CNN this morning. It's very interesting. Basically, people are starting to seek IVF treatment as part of a vacation in a foreign country for less than half of the price of an IVF treatment in the U.S. The one website that CNN referenced (I've included the link here) has a really good success rate, as well! It's just another option to consider....and, to me, it sounds like a good one!

http://ivfvacation.com/index.html
    My Story

Me (39) DH (35)
    High FSH - (31.4) and High TSH
    IVF # 1 - 9/09 - 1 Egg Retrieved / 1 Embryo Transferred - BFP!
    IVF # 2 - 11/10 - 1 Egg Retrieved / 1 Embryo Transferred - BFN
    IVF # 3 - 7/11 - 2 Eggs Retrieved / 1 Embryo Transferred - BFN
    IVF # 4 and 5 - 0 Eggs Retrieved
    DE IVF at RBA - 9/12 - 6/6 Eggs Fertilized / 1 Blast Transferred / 1 Frostie

2. Advertisement

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting. I don't think when you add the flight and the hotel stay its much cheaper then figure in missing work for at least 21 days paying for boarding for my furbabies. A 21 day vacation with low stress during IVF would be nice though.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

sdeut
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though I don't know if IVF is a vacation - I think I would rather have a vacation with no IVF to worry about.
    Me 33 DH 33
    Highest FSH 17
    2 chemical pg
    Zachary B 4/22/08 D 6/24/08 (due to SMA)
    IVF #1 w/PGD - ectopic
    IVF #2 - m/c 9 weeks

IVF #3 - BFP - Twins are here

Fer
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    The report actually said that the women were much less stressed doing this overseas and sometimes even forgot to take the medication they were supposed to b/c they were having such a nice time on their vacation. I'm sure this was all spun in this type of a positive way to attract more people, but it's definitely something I would be open to - even if I couldn't fully relax during the cycle, at least it would be cheaper and I'd be seeing a new country!
    My Story

Me (39) DH (35)

pray2rita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fer, are you (or anyone) catching the CNN morning series on IF? If so, keep us in the loop!
    Dx 5/08 DOR
    IUI # 1-5= BFN
    IVF#1 (e2 patch, gonal-F, menopur, ganirelix) BFN 2 embie angels
    IVF attempt #2 cancelled
    IVF attempt #3 converted to IUI
    IVF attempt #4 1 egg, broken during ER; no ET
    Mini IVF#1: 2 eggs; BFN; 1 embie angel
    Mini IVF #2: 2 eggs; 1 embie on ice

Fer
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I have been watching it this week! Today they talked about single men wanting babies and how they are using surrogates. I didn't tune in to that......but I will keep you posted if I learn of anything more interesting!
    My Story

Me (39) DH (35)

Nic37
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fer - I actually watched this on the cruise! I had looked into it before. I think the former USSR is popular for IVF vacation. Chezch republic mostly. The website is like ivfvacations.com. The cost is substantially less and you get a vacation out of it. I do not think they have much experience treating women with high FSH though so I have been leary to do it. A woman on another thread spent three weeks in India having IVF because it was much cheaper. A few women were also going to Israel I think because there is a clinic there that does the tx where they take the mitochondria of a DE and mix it with the woman's egg so you have a baby that is still 99% genetically yours. My RE in NYC was involved in this before it was banned by the FDA in the US. When I did my IVF with SIRM in Las Vegas last May, it was definitely a good vacation but I think being more closely monitored at home is a better idea. Being consistent with an RE for each cycle is also important so they can tweak things to fit you.
    Me 39 DH 38
    TTC 3 years
    Highest FSH 30.5
    Hyrdrosalpinx Left Tube
    10/07; 11/07; 12/07 IUIs BFNs
    3/08 IVF#1 BFN
    5/08 IVF#2 No ET
    2/09 IVF#3 BFN
    3/09 - Natural PG - M/C

Petunia81
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

I dont really post here much, but felt I had to reply to this.

I live in the UK, and am having DE IVF in the Czech Republic in September. I booked and organised the whole thing myself, but know of a few americans who use the website posted above.

Here in the uk the cost of deivf is about £10,000 (about $20,000), my treatment is costing £3500 (about $7,000). EVen with the cost of travel, the total is only about £5,000, so still half the price as home.

The clinic has a very good reputation, and I am very happy with the doctor so far, and he speaks pretty good english.

For DE ivf, you really only need a week there. We are going over for 2 weeks and travelling a bit in germany and austria too. You only need 3 weeks for your own egg ivf.

I'm happy to talk about this if anyone wants, but as I dont come here often, you may want to email me instead.

Fer
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks so much, Petunia! It's nice to have someone w/ first hand experience respond to this topic! Best of luck to you in September!! I hope this is the trip of your lifetime and results in many, many happy years!
    My Story

Me (39) DH (35)

Horton
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!
    Pardon my just jumping into this thread. I've been watching it for some time, but until now had nothing to add.

I've just booked my IVF Vacation for this March! So far I have slightly mixed feelings about it. I thought the idea of paying someone else to do all the planning would be a good idea, but I guess I'm not as good at letting go of the details as I thought. Lol. I've had to send more than a few "would you please hurry" emails to the ivf people to get them to do things as I'd like. If you're very control oriented (like me), using their services can be a frustration.

But the prices are really great. And they will go above and beyond to help you out. The doctor that we wanted to use has left the clinic they normally send their clients to. They helped us track him down and are arranging our travel to his new clinic in Slovakia instead of the Czech Republic. They really are great, if a bit too laid back for my uptight personality!

So far we've signed contracts and are waiting to hear when our exact clinic dates are so we can book travel. I've ordered my meds and I believe I start them in February. After that, we'll wait for our donor choices and make our pick. Then on to the transfer.
    It feels years away and just around the corner all at once.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and that I'm going to Slovakia for IVF in March. And I'm really glad you all started this thread.

-Horton
    (getting ready to hatch the egg)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast