FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Roseanne67
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Do I really have POF?

Here's my story (long, sorry)
    I'm 40 years now. My skipping periods started after I stopped using minipills (Microluton, with levonorgestrel) summer 2006 (was 38 years then) . I Didn't have periods for a year when using pills.

It took 3 months after stopping the pills before I got af. And got af 3 times and then again no af for 4 months (got them with Provera). Then again 3 times natural af last summer. Since last summer have had af without Provera only once. Even Provera doesn't always bring af and my lining is thin. So there must be lack of estrogen.

I had hot flashes a year ago when that 4 months without af started. Since then I haven't had any symptoms like that.
    Since last summer I've been feeling pain in my right ovary (only working ovary) which varies with the cycle.

My FSH:
    Spring 2007 cd 100 and something 17
    Summer 2007 cd 13 was 20 (follicle 15 mm, lining 7 mm)
    Autumn 2007 cd 3 was 14

A month ago I had doctor's appointment on cd 2. There was no cyst, lining was only 5 mm, but I had several antral follicles.

Wouldn't I with cd3 FSH 14 have still regular periods and with estrogen this low (never measured, but thin lining), FSH be higher?

Why do I feel there's something else here? Anyone any ideas?

PS: My T4V and TSH are quite good. Sorry about my english.

2. Advertisement

iwanababy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I know from my doctors, they like for your FSH to be below 10. On my first visit, the doctor said I did not have many antral follicles and that is also a sign of POV. They also say that an FSH greater than 15 is hard to stimulate with meds for IVF. But, there are many women on this site who have had high FSH and that have gone on to have a baby. If you feel like there may be something your doctor is missing or that you cannot get the answers you are looking for, get a second opinion. I had to change doctors and it makes a world of difference to have a good doctor.

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The only FSH number you can go by is the CD3 number and it is a bit high, but not terrible. You should get normal AF. My highest was 16 and I have never missed AF, she is on time every month. I wonder if something else is going on. You said your Estrogen was low?
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

Roseanne67
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your answers.
    My estrogen must be low, because of the uterus thin lining and the fact that even Provera doesn't always bring af. When af comes, there's not much bleeding. Last summer cycles everything was ok, but since then things have got worse. This pain in the ovaries that I've got after last summer is weard. It feels like there is a cyst, but there isn't. I think I had an ovulatory cycle (according to opk and temps) a couple of months ago and then the pain was even worse after ovulation. Also my stomac swell and I didn't pee much.

I've started to think that maybe it's just a coincidence that FSH hasn't been higher when measured?

I've visited 3 doctors, one of them at a fertility clinic. Then I had this FSH of 20 (cd13) and diagnosis was POF and they didn't accept us for the treatments.

Last time at doctor's I asked that shouldn't I with cd3 FSH 14 have still regular periods. Doctor said that it's not relevant at all how high FSH is. I just have never heard anyone else with fsh like mine and no periods...

I'm so confused. Something here doesn't match, but I can't think of anything explaining this except that maybe my fsh really is higher than what the tests show.

shellsxj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roseanne,

I would think that your doctor would order a clomid challange test to see if your FSH number is consistent on day 10.

Best wishes, I know this is frustrating.

shells