FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

gemasita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Single ovary?

I was trying to find information about only having one ovary and how that effects FSH and ovarian reserve.

I think I am a bit of a unique case in that I am only 31 and only have one ovary (or actually part of one ovary because I had a cyst removed from one).

I think my FSH is around 11 and my RE did an AMH test and that was very low at .7.

But what I am trying to find out is....is my FSH high and my AMH low because I only have part of one ovary? Could that mean that what I do have left is actually working pretty well? I just can't seem to find any information related to having only one ovary and how it effects these numbers.

Only having one ovary is due to my appendix bursting years ago and ruining my right ovary and both tubes. Just this past year, I had the right ovary taken out due to infection. So as far as I know, I didn't have any fertility issues before my appendix burst and I believe that my issues are only because of that and that my high FSH and low AMH are because of what I have ovary-wise and not due to age or anything else.

I guess I am just wondering how things might be different for me, if maybe I won't end up having egg quality issues with the few eggs I produce, or if anything else will be different with me than other high FSH-ers.

2. Advertisement

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I dont feel that having one ovary would cause high FSH. I actually know a lady that only has one ovary and her FSH is fine. But I also want to add, Dont let your Dr make you believe that high FSH means you will have bad quality eggs, your age is a better indicator quality. Good Luck
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

gemasita
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to update: I had my ER on Monday and they got 12 eggs, 10 were mature, and 9 fertilized and were still looking great on day 3 so they decided to go a 5-day transfer with us on Saturday.

My doc said that the low AMH in my case was probably just due to the one ovary because I have responded just fine so far this cycle!

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This cycle sounds GREAT!! Good Luck and let me know how it goes
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board