FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Contamination and PGD

I have been using RGI for PGD as that is who my insurance covers. I have had a lot of contamination of my cells thus delaying results. My fertility clinic told me this is abnormal that they NEVER see contamination with Reprogenetics or genesis. Is this true or is my RE trying to hide the fact that maybe he contaminated some samples?

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I had 1 of 5 as a "no result", ICSI and biopsy by my clinic and testing at a NJ lab. No explanation was given but my RE suggested I have the "no result" retested which makes me think me RE suspects it was a fault of the process rather than something inherent in the blast. Your results were delayed, but you got results? My results also took longer, but I figured it was the lab waiting on the 1 "no result", didn't occur to me that any of the other 4 might have been nearly so.

esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TTCyears View Post
    I had 1 of 5 as a "no result", ICSI and biopsy by my clinic and testing at a NJ lab. No explanation was given but my RE suggested I have the "no result" retested which makes me think me RE suspects it was a fault of the process rather than something inherent in the blast. Your results were delayed, but you got results? My results also took longer, but I figured it was the lab waiting on the 1 "no result", didn't occur to me that any of the other 4 might have been nearly so.
    Yes I did get results but unfortunately then had to have a FET transfer and not a fresh. I would be ok if a couple samples were contaminated but I am talking 12 out of 20 samples were.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    At my clinic FET with vitrification (fast freeze) is preferred over fresh transfer. I take you or your clinic had other factors that fresh was preferred. I am sorry that your blasts did not have the optimal transfer conditions because of the contamination. Over 50% contamination seems high to me from a general scientist perspective.

esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TTCyears View Post
    At my clinic FET with vitrification (fast freeze) is preferred over fresh transfer. I take you or your clinic had other factors that fresh was preferred. I am sorry that your blasts did not have the optimal transfer conditions because of the contamination. Over 50% contamination seems high to me from a general scientist perspective.
    We would of preferred a 5 day blast biopsy then freeze and transfer frozen. However they only biopsy at 3 days, then when my results were contaminated did it again at 5. I wonder if this damaged the embryos? I have had 4 FET's and no positive beta. I also do not have fertility problems, have conceived naturally with little efort, am only doing this because I learned with my son I carry a horrible genetic disorder.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Yes, as you know, biopsies can cause some damage, 3 day (of 8 cell embryo) more so than 5 day (of placenta portion of blast). But I don't think that alone would explain 4 FET failures. At my clinic each genetically normal vitrified blast (5 or 6 day biopsy) has a 60% chance of live birth at my age (38). Statistics would say some couple will not have success with multiple FETs, but it's rare. That said, I had a "rare" experience of an ruptured ectopic during recovery, so stats are not always my friend.

esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am in the rare category. I carry a rare genetic disorder, no one in my family has. I had a rare spontaneous mutation. My list of rare's can go on. My RE just looks at me dumbfounded because he truly believes I am having bad luck.

esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I made it clear that the embryos were biopsied twice. That seems like a lot of trauma, although my RE says otherwise. I called up my PGD clinic and they said a double biopsy "is not preferred" has anyone conceived from a embryo that was biopsied twice? Oe are these embryos too damaged?

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    You did make it clear. My opinion that double biopsy (unless poorly done) would not solely account for four failed FETs was based on the understanding that your babes had a Day 3 biopsy (most likely 1 of 8 cells) followed by a Day 5 biopsy (which if it were my clinic would be a handful of placental cells from 100s of cells). Last month my RE recommended I biopsy my Day 6 "no result" blast a second time (overnight for a transfer Day 7) --- she didn't hesitate to make this recommendation. In her opinion the risk of an abnormality is far greater than the harm of two "day 5" biopsies. My clinic prefers Day 1 (polar body) and Day 5 (trophectederm) genetic testing; I think they avoid Day 3 testing these days. That's all my input.

I hope you get some more experienced or educated answers.

esmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input it helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast