FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Acupuncture First Trimester

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

Hello,

I am about 8 weeks. I had acupuncture in my last pregnancy in the last trimester only.

Has anyone gone to acupuncture this early in the pregnancy? Is it safe?

Thanks.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009
    IUI #1 - March 2011 - BFN
    IVF #1 - July 2011 - BFP! It's a girl!
    IVF #2 - January 2015 - Cancelled
    IVF #3 - March 2015 - Cancelled
    Unexpectedly Expecting - March 2018 - BFP!

2. Advertisement

SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lilacs, I'm not well versed in acupuncture, so I can't say for certain if it's safe this early in a pregnancy. I've read that some women have found relief for morning sickness through acupuncture, but you should double check with your OB/GYN first. You'll also want to make sure your acupuncturist is trained for prenatal acupuncture.
    Thanks Lilacs thanked for this post

kiki24
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    From everything that I've read, acupuncture increases blood flow, which helps with circulation and stimulates relaxation. My acupuncturist says it's safe from the very beginning of conception. I don't think it could do any harm, although I was wary of joining the "acupuncture bandwagon" during my multiple IVF cycles because it is very pricey and I don't think it made a difference in the end.

JBMBABY14
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iím
    Doing it

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for your responses.

I have checked with my OBGYN and have been cleared for acupuncture. I’ve been going to acupuncture once a week prior to getting pregnant to manage what I believe are my peri-menopausal symptoms.

I’ve gone twice now since getting pregnant. Help manage the morning sickness which is really bad and insomnia. I wake every morning at 3am!! And can’t fall back asleep. My acupuncturist says it also helps with blood flow and support the pregnancy in the early months.

The current game plan is go in once a week during the 1st trimester. Once I get into my 2nd trimester then I’ll be going in once or twice a month depending on how I feel. In the 3rd trimester closer to the due date then I’ll be going back in once a week.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009

Lfrech4
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

I added acupuncture twice per week about a 3 weeks prior to my donor embryo transfer on 4/10/18.
    She recommends 5-7 days off then I wish to resume twice per week for the first trimester. It helps keep me grounded as she is fantastic but I can also truly feel the results from her sessions. (I was a sceptic with 2 other acupuncturists under my belt prior and no feeling of benefit prior).
    Finding one i strongly connect with (and she was trained overseas).. was my winning combo.
    Iíve also added yoga twice per week (will continue after 7 day wait period) and prior to transfer, deep tissue massage twice/week through 4 days before transfer (to allow detox).
    Iím 49 years old and although pg through early 2nd trimester with my own prior, this will be my first delivery, God willing. Hypothyroidism from ivf prior is greatly under control with pure form of t4 and juicing turmeric root and ginger root with mostly veges, some fruit. Embryo is grade AA, Pgs tested good, little girl from a proven fertile 28 year old donor.)
    ~ way more info than you asked, but itís all interrelated now so where to stop? Lol
    Last edited by Lfrech4; 04-13-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Likes Lilacs liked this post

Patient-One
    LET THE JOURNEY CONTINUE!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Wishing you all the best ladies.
    ME - 38, DH - 45
    IVF - 01/12, ER - 06 Feb, ET - 09 Feb
    BETA #1 - 80.3 (12dp3dt), #2 - 183.6 (15dp3dt) - b/g twins
    Ruptured Membrane 06/16/12 - Maximus
    Born at 23 weeks 03 July 12 - 23 July 12 - Anaya
    FET - March 2014 - BFN
    IVF 2 - 08/2015, ER - 13 Aug, ET 18 Aug
    BETA #1 - 84 (9dp5dt), #2 - 225 (11dp5dt), #3 - 1303 (15dp5dt) - 4/15/16
    FET2 - around 26 Jun 17
    Likes Lilacs liked this post

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by Lfrech4 View Post
    I added acupuncture twice per week about a 3 weeks prior to my donor embryo transfer on 4/10/18.
    She recommends 5-7 days off then I wish to resume twice per week for the first trimester. It helps keep me grounded as she is fantastic but I can also truly feel the results from her sessions. (I was a sceptic with 2 other acupuncturists under my belt prior and no feeling of benefit prior).
    Finding one i strongly connect with (and she was trained overseas).. was my winning combo.
    Iíve also added yoga twice per week (will continue after 7 day wait period) and prior to transfer, deep tissue massage twice/week through 4 days before transfer (to allow detox).
    Iím 49 years old and although pg through early 2nd trimester with my own prior, this will be my first delivery, God willing. Hypothyroidism from ivf prior is greatly under control with pure form of t4 and juicing turmeric root and ginger root with mostly veges, some fruit. Embryo is grade AA, Pgs tested good, little girl from a proven fertile 28 year old donor.)
    ~ way more info than you asked, but itís all interrelated now so where to stop? Lol
    How fantastic! Good luck with everything! Keep us posted. Would love to hear your updates and progress!

Iíve been going to acupuncture once a week throughout my first trimester. Iím just entering 15 weeks so weíll be dialing back to once every two weeks or once a month depending on how Iím feeling.

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009

Lilacs
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient-One View Post
    Wishing you all the best ladies.
    Thanks!

Me - 38 - DOR
    DH - 38 - No Issues

Ectopic - August 2009