FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dar84
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

IVF and Tax Return

Can IVF be claimed on taxes to get money back? I have heard people saying this under my walter reed infertility message board when I was going through IVF. Now that Taxes are just around the corner I wanted to ask about this again and see if any of you knew anything about it and if so how did you do it and what do you get back? Thanks in advance
    Me (27) Husband (27) Married Aug '04
    Male Factor
    IVF April/May 2010
    Boy/Girl Twins born Jan 8, 2011
    Haylee Jocelynn 6lb2oz, 19 in
    Chandler Eugene 6lb11oz, 20 in

2. Advertisement

sarahsmith74
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Publication 502 (2009), Medical and Dental Expenses

you can deduct IVF...I think that in order to get a refund or credit for medical it has to be a certain percentage of your income to qualify. I am looking into that. I used some of our flexible spending for the IVF but we had to pay out of pocket also. So we will deduct the difference.

I will continue to look for the percentage
    Married 05
    TTC since 2005
    Unexplained infertility
    2 unsucessfull IUI's 2008
    Successful IVF April 2010

"A" born December 19, 2010

sarahsmith74
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have looked further, lol..it has to be 7.5 % of your adjusted gross income in order to deduct.

Here is the example......

Your AGI is $40,000, 7.5% of which is $3,000. You paid medical expenses of $2,500. You cannot deduct any of your medical expenses because they are not more than 7.5% of your AGI.
    Married 05
    TTC since 2005
    Unexplained infertility

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you can also add in any mileage to and from all MD appts (for IVF/OB) - it's the federal reimbursement rate per mile. With 2 IVF cycles and numerous trips back and forth to the OB (for the last 6 weeks I was having NST 2x/week) it added up to quite a bit for us since our docs were like 20 miles away.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

Kaj
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we did IVF in 2008, we were also able to deduct the cost of acupuncture treatments.
    TTC for 12 years
    BFP on IVF!

Dar84
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks ladies! Sarah that form was super helpful, I will be printing that off. I have a friend who is a tax auditor and she said that the amount for federal mileage reinbursement is .55. I have kept my reciepts for all of my procedures done and paid out of pocket from savings for all of my expenses so claiming all of this on my taxes should be pretty easy for me. I will just need to get proof of dr appointments so that I can claim mileage, which should be easy to do by getting my medical records. Thanks again for the help.
    Male Factor
    IVF April/May 2010

sarahsmith74
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar84 View Post
    Thanks ladies! Sarah that form was super helpful, I will be printing that off. I have a friend who is a tax auditor and she said that the amount for federal mileage reinbursement is .55. I have kept my reciepts for all of my procedures done and paid out of pocket from savings for all of my expenses so claiming all of this on my taxes should be pretty easy for me. I will just need to get proof of dr appointments so that I can claim mileage, which should be easy to do by getting my medical records. Thanks again for the help.

Just make sure you check on the mileage. It was .55 last year and they changed it to .50 this year. I get to claim mileage for work since I drive all day (outside sales) and the government changed the reimbursement rate. It may be different for medical. But for business it changed.

After you asked the question I looked through my IVF packet and added up all my expenses. I had called my fertility doctor after my IVF and I was done going to him to have them send me a year end statement of everything I had spent this year. Made it easy. I did that with my meds also since they had to be ordered and shipped. Hoping that it is 7.5% of our AGI. We used flexible spending money also, and that took care of about half of all the expenses, including acupuncture. So we will see. At least I got some tax credit for the flexible spending account. I will be delivering before the end of the year so I get to include all those expenses too.
    Married 05
    TTC since 2005
    Unexplained infertility

Dar84
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks Sarah, the travel rate may have changed but my friend said that the amount will be on the tax form when I claim my taxes so I am not too worried about what the number is right now. I will just recalculate all of my mileage with the lower number you gave me so that I have both when it comes to do taxes. I got all my receipts today, so I am very excited. My husband and I traveled back and forth several trips from Harrisburg Pa to Washington DC which is over 100 miles one way and we stayed in hotel in virginia for a couple weeks which was about 30 miles one way from hotel to hospital. I have calucated around $1000 alone in just travel, plus another $1200 for hotel stay. With the added cost of IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching I spent more than 7.5 of our AGI for the year since I only worked until the end of Aug this year and part time for the months I did work. So I am very thankful for all of this information.
    Male Factor
    IVF April/May 2010

Dar84
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Sarah I just looked at the form again that you sent me and the rules about claiming transportation. It mentions a standard medical mileage rate of 24 cents a mile. Are you sure that we can use the government standard rate or do we need to use the medical mileage rate? If anyone else knows the answer to this I would appreciate your feedback.
    Male Factor
    IVF April/May 2010

sarahsmith74
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar84 View Post
    Sarah I just looked at the form again that you sent me and the rules about claiming transportation. It mentions a standard medical mileage rate of 24 cents a mile. Are you sure that we can use the government standard rate or do we need to use the medical mileage rate? If anyone else knows the answer to this I would appreciate your feedback.
    If there is a medical mileage rate, I would think you would have to use that one. The .50 is probably just for business mileage.
    Married 05
    TTC since 2005
    Unexplained infertility

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast