FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

nithu
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

hair loss in early pregnancy

Hello ladies - i am almost 7 weeks pregnant. I've been having a lot of hair loss (atleast 80 strands or so per day...yes i actually sat and counted)in the past month or so...I did an IVF this time. Initially I thought the hormonal shots are doing this, but now I am not sure why this is happening.
    I've only heard that hair grows at a faster rate during pregnancy. Has anybody else experienced this? Does hair fall stop after 1st trimester?
    thanks

2. Advertisement

Lasbi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmh. I'm not an expert but once my dermatologist told me that to be consider hair loss you have to be able to pull hair all the time, like a bunch of hair every time you pull on your hair (KWIM?) 80 hairs a day doesn't sound like a lot to me, but again, I'm not an expert. Something that can cause hair loss is a thyroid imbalance. May be you can talk to your Dr about checking your thyroid but I'm sure you are fine.

Sarah26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the other post - ask your dr about running some basic thyroid tests. I think mine did a test for TSH, but it could be that's so basic that all dr's do it. I have a friend with a past thyroid problem who had to take additional thyroid supplement each time she was pg.

I have previously lost a ton of hair in various phases of thinning, not sure how many pieces per day, but that was since I have become an adult and my PCOS got a lot worse (hair loss on my head, but then I got more hair in the form of a thin moustache). My OB and RE never saw any bloodwork results that explained it, though I'm pretty sure it was related to my PCOS. I also quit my daily vitamins for a 2 month period then resumed my vitamin schedule, and about 4-6 months later I had a big bout of hair loss and thinning that I attributed to my probably vitamin deficiency. I've also lost it in small patches probably due to stress and migraines, and that got a lot better after I quit my job.

I haven't heard of hair loss happening when ladies are pg, though most people loose a ton of hair after the baby arrives, so I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side. Your RE or OB may send you to a regular endocrinologist if they can't figure out what's going on.

Cali
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    I've noticed this. It's not significant hair loss but I'm definately losing more hair during my showers than before. Seems like I read that this is typical during pregnancy...or something similar I read that made me not worry too much about it. I'm almost 17wks & still notice it.

RyansHope
    My chickie's closing in on TWO!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Yes to hair loss for me. Notice it during showers. I just thought I was getting frustrated getting knots out (I have long curly hair).
    2005-2010 ~ 5 Clomids, 5 IUIs, 2 FETs, 3 IVFs = 11 BFNs, 2 and
    Ryan ~11/6/08~ 21w3d
    C ~3/13/10~ 37w1d ~ 6lb4.5oz ~ 19" ~ 12:43pm

Sweedie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I actually stopped losing hair and it got thicker and thicker. Post partum I lost it over several months.

Cheryllynn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This happened to me after a previous pg. I lost about 1/3 of my hair. I have very thick hair, so it's not noticible to others. It has not come back. Now that I'm pg again, I hope I don't experience this again.

My thyroid tests are all normal, but I agree that thyroid should be tested when hair loss increases.
    Last embryo 5 day AA, frozen for 7 years. Lupron/estrace/PIO + progesterone suppositories. 40mg Lovenox / baby aspirin
    6dp5dt: estrogen 218, prog 67: beta = 18. Monday 2/10 at 12dp5dt: beta = 284. ANA test is positive 1:40 titre cytokine, NK, t-reg all normal. APA positive from local lab and Alan Beer Center.
    EDD 10/16

Vicki41
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My earliest pregnancy sign is/was hair loss. It happened with my daughter and with this pregnancy and it started prior to me missing my period and kept up until about 9 weeks. It grew back during my pregnancy and I did not experience hair loss after the birth of my daugher. (a little different than the norm). The first time, I was so concerned I kept a weeks worth in a plastic bag because I thought I was going a little nutty.... then I tested + and realized my folly! -vicki
    vicki- 43 DH- 43
    DD- 5
    DD-born January 2009

nithu
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ladies.
    I have an appt with my RE tomorrow. I will ask him.
    I do have a lot of hair, so it is not noticeable yet.
    But it does scare me to see hair on my bed, pillow bathroom floor and all over the house and a ton falling over in the shower.