FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

nevergivingup
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

baby measuring small @ 27 wks

I am 27 wks pg with a girl and yesterday my Dr did an u/s.
    He said that the baby is measuring small. He calculated her weight to be 2.1 lbs , he said it should be 2.5. Her stomach is what is measuring small.

Dr said he will do another U/S in 4wks to see if she has caught up. He said it could be 2 things either she is just small or the placenta is not functioning properly. Her stomach measured small.

We did IVF so I know my DOC is exact.
    I am trying not to worry but it is so crazy if she is small b/c I was 10 lbs, 13 oz when I was born. DH was 10 6.

Has anyone had a baby measure small?

-Gina
    Last edited by nevergivingup; 09-05-2008 at 04:56 PM.

2. Advertisement

Sarah26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try not to worry too much. It's good that your doctor is on top of any potential issues, but your baby will probably catch up to expectations and be fine. Also, it is challenging for the docs to be very accurate with the u/s on the weight, sometimes they can be REALLY far off on their estimates. If this was a big deal, your doc would probably want more frequent u/s's or additional tests or monitoring. Also, not all babies are exactly at the average weight for their gestational age, some have to be lower weight and some have to be higher weight in order to create that middle-of-the-road average expected weight.

I was a 9lb1oz baby and my first baby was 7lb4oz, and I was thrilled that she was the perfect size - not too big and not too small. And she was very healthy. My last u/s before delivery was at 14w (odd, I know), so I have no idea how she would have measured at 27w, but I would not have been surprised if she was that size now that I know how it all turned out.

For you and your DH, your moms may have had very different diets or lifestyles than yours, or maybe they even had some mild insulin/sugar issues. If you still feel worried, you could always fib about a symptom and get an earlier u/s, like maybe in 2w instead of 4w. You've got to do what you've got to do.

scorpio chick
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try not to worry. (I know, easier said than done.) U/S measurements aren't perfect - the baby can be bigger or smaller than their estimate. Also, the abdominal circumference is the hardest to measure accurately for a growth scan as there are no bony landmarks in that area (unlike measuring the length of a bone for example). She could just be a petite little baby - small but perfect.

Did they give you a growth percentile? Usually, the biggest concern is if they fall below the 10th percentile.

Considering that your next u/s isn't for a month, I would say they are not too worried at this point. Sounds to me like they just want to keep an eye on her size to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

In my twin PG, my DD was measuring small. I had to go in for weekly and then twice weekly scans. Her growth percentile would fall, then be fine the next week, then fall the next. She fell below the 10th percentile and was born healthy and perfect at 36 weeks. She's somewhat petite but feisty!
    B/G twins 9/27/06
    Singleton girl 10/20/08

"A toddler is your little sweet baby temporarily inhabited by evil demons."

kmsnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    At 27 weeks was about when they realized that my baby boy was dropping off the growth charts. I had an abruption at 26 weeks but it was minor and healed quickly. Last measurement at 33 weeks, he was at the 10th percentile. They don't think his slowed growth rate has much to do with the actual abruption but more likely that the placenta was not efficient from the beginning. The perinatologist told us that usually the measuring small has to do with maternal factors. Sometimes the womb just is not the best environment for all babies, but it is a balance of whether they will do better inside or outside the womb. Due to my baby being small and my history of the abruption, they have been monitoring our baby with NSTs and biophyiscal profiles weekly until 33 weeks of pg when they upped it to twice a week. I am now also getting doppler to check the placental blood flow weekly. I go back on Monday for a growth u/s and I will be 36w then so this will let us know if we should deliver next week or try to wait it out another week or two. I have growth u/s on the baby about every 3 weeks.

I know this is a very stressful time for you. It sounds like they are closely watching the growth with the u/s, and I am sure that they will order further testing if they think that they need to keep an eye even closer on her. Keep us updated.
    Last edited by kmsnj; 09-06-2008 at 05:44 AM.

nevergivingup
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ladies. Dr said she is in the 40th percentile so I guess that is not too bad. The head and femur measured good just the abdominal cavity small.

arrgee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! I did IVF with my son as well and he was also measuring small - but a bit smaller than your little one is. I went into the hospital for an emergency c-section at 31 weeks and had him at 31 wks, 3 days - he weighed 2lbs 3ozs. 30 day NICU stay .. no recurring issues though he has been on growth hormone for the last year trying to catch up (he is 6 now). He was diagnosed with IUGR - there was something wrong with our umbilical cord.

STAY ON YOUR DOCTOR. I am NOT saying this to freak you out, but he may be having you ride the next few weeks out .. she sounds just a *bit* small, not overly so, and it sounds like he is a good doctor If he mentions steroids to you - prepare yourself for an emergency delivery. Sometimes babies thrive better outside the womb versus inside - like my son because of the cord issues - and with advances in NICU technology .. they have wonderful results