FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kug440
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral Oil and Constipation

I know, I know, TMI and I havent even started yet. So obviously, like a lot of women, I am constipated and working quickly towards a fecal impaction. I called the doctor and she said to try ONE tablespoon of Mineral Oil. She indicated that it should bring QUICK relief. So I took it like fifteen minutes ago and thought, DARN, I should have looked it up on the internet first before I took it, but ladies, I AM DESEPERATE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So some sites say its fine for occasional reliefy in severe cases and then other pages simply say DO NOT TAKE DURING PREGNANCY!! No explanations though. Anyone have any experience with it or know of any potential dangers......???????????

2. Advertisement

JustMe643
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I totally know how you feel...
    I just went through this and the OB told me to try a regular enema. I was sooo tired and I sat on the toilet when I did it so imagine that it didn't work.. (Sometimes I am 100% stupid.. lol) It was hurting so bad just to roll over in bed the OB told me to take a couple of tablespoons of magnesium sulfate and it should work quickly. After 3 hours DH said I should go try the other enema (he bought a 3 pack at 3am.. :P) He actually read the instructions outloud to me and I went in (waited the whole 5 mins) and I can honestly say I felt soooo much better in just 10 mins...
    ~TMI~
    DH is always making jokes, but he came in to check on me and he was really shocked at how much there was. Then the jokes came, he said it was like flushing a pack of his golf balls..
    The reason why I am telling you this is to let you know how well that enema worked. I had tried a few things before we got to that point and nothing worked like that... I had done enemas before, but I never felt as bad as I did that day..
    My OB said I could do one of them a week as well as the stool softeners at bedtime..
    I hope this helps and I am sorry for TMI..
    I hope you feel better..

~Rhonda

-Wanted to add that the enema needs to be just the plain ones, not the ones with mineral oil. She said the reason for that was just if I had to do more than one... I think when they are talking about dangers of it is when people abuse laxitives..
    Here is a really good site that I go to when I want to check out medications..
    www.safefetus.com
    Last edited by JustMe643; 09-16-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    DH 33 Me 32

Blessed by God through the process of IVF/FET
    Proud parents of our sweet Baby Girl "Jessica". Born Dec 8th, 2006 6lb 14oz 19."

Being a Mom feels like A dream. If it is, I hope I never wake up..

kug440
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so the mineral oil is a NO GO!!! I couldnt take it any longer so I went to the Pharmacy and got some suppositories. I got the liqiud kind and I swear, it was THIRTY seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel SOOOOOOOOOO much better!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to ask them about Enema's. She didnt specifically indicate them for use, just the suppositories, but I cant imagine it would be to different! Problem with these is DH had to do it because of the position so I feel BAD for him!!!!!!!!!!! I feel SOOOOO comfortable, I think I might even be able to get some sleep if this little boy would turn BACK around with his feet up so he would stop irritating my bladder............ Thanks for the info though, its nice to have and OMG that website is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had it MONTHS ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreyaC0916
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colace works the best. i started with 200 mg a day and now using 400 mg a day because i started taking iron pills. Enemas and suppositories can cause contractions.

LoveTexas
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will be good to know. I just started on some major horse pills of iron suppliments. My sister told me to be sure to go get some prune juice and drink it daily.
    PamR Me-35 Dh-43 TTC#1 8 yrs.
    Dx-male factor
    IVF/ICSI #1 Mar '05-canceled, poor response to stims
    IVF/ICSI #2 June '06- Beach Baby Boomer in the making!!!
    Successful!!! EDD 3/3/07
    13 weeks

kug440
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they can but so can severe constipation. I am taking colace everyday and have been for sometime. It seems to work most times but there is something, I can figure out what it is yet that REALLY binds me even with the colace. They dont suggest using anything other than the colace for regularity but in cases where you are in a position like I was, and obviously some other ladies, its a safe quick way for infrequent relief. I am prone to bowel impactions when pregnant and if you have ever had one of those, THEY BRING CONTRACTIONS, big ones so this was a much better option. As always its best to consult your particular doctor before attempting anything other than your regular regimen though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! And PRUNE JUICE works well too, just taste ICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minnie2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Buy Colace and keep taking it until you feel relief !! I would stay away from the mineral oil, as it is supposed to start labor !! and it can cause the baby to pass a BM and that could be dangerous !!

Walmart has a generic Colace !! and it's a life saver !!
    JT
    ~ Sweetpea
    ~ Sunshine

JustMe643
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am glad you feel better..
    I just wanted to add that I was taking the colace (Since we started the meds for IVF) twice a day and it was great at first, just when it got really bad it didn't help. My OB told me to take it everynight with my prenatal. I have been using it as a softener and not an aid to go. I have a prolapsed bowel so I think I was really close to an impaction. Not to mention if you get really constipated it will make your hemorrhoids worse. Then you will be treating that as well. The enemas are fine and in the long run my OB wanted me to be able to get some relief. I agree that you should not do anything w/o your OB knowing and I always make sure to ask "what are the signs I should lookfor if there is a problem?" Either from taking an OTC product or if there is a problem from whatever is causing the issue. Like, when I had my problem with the constipation I wanted to make sure that since I am eating so much more and nothing was coming out I didn't want the toxins just making things worse. On the same note I also wanted to know that the actual treatment for it wouldn't cause any issues with my baby.

My cousin and an uncle who are OBs and I have heard how they get rid of the impactions... Way freaky.. lol

I watched "Runway Moms" and this one lady would get those colonic sessions once a week. She was a st rick vegetarian and was doing yoga and continued to be active. Her OB said it was fine since she had already done this before the pregnancy.
    I remembered thinking I could never do that because I had thought the same thing about it bringing on contractions. (Not to mention, I wouldn't want to do it even if I weren't pg.. lol)
    I totally think that when I didn't go for over 2 weeks and the food intake from being pg is so much, the overall stress of that had to be worse on my body than when I was relieved.
    LOL The things we talk about on here..
    DH 33 Me 32

Blessed by God through the process of IVF/FET
    Proud parents of our sweet Baby Girl "Jessica". Born Dec 8th, 2006 6lb 14oz 19."

Being a Mom feels like A dream. If it is, I hope I never wake up..

nikko
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I don't think dh would ever do that...yours is a keeper! Was it your ob who told you to take the mineral oil? I'm surprised she recommended if it's no good for pg! Glad you found something that worked-

pupandbon
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that the reason they say no to mineral oil during pregnancy is because it can cause you to lose valuable minerals but I would have to think that would mean if you used it on a regular basis. I wouldn't think every once in a while would hurt. I have been taking colace since about 5 wks (now 25) and just now having issues. I was taking only at night and seemed to be doing fine but now am having to take morning and night as dr recommended. This can be miserable!!! Rebecca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast