FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AmyLynn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question quad screening- down syndrome?

I just received my results back today from my quad screening yesterday. My dr told me that I have a .5% chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. He said that my age (32) is usually one in 469 and that number is now one in 240 due to my tests results. I am going for a level 2 u/s next Wed to check stuff out and have the option to do an amnio as well. My quesion is, what are the chances of a false positive. I am curious to know how many of you this happened to and ended up being nothing or something. I know that I have a 99.5% chance that it will all be ok but am having a hard time coping still with the small chance it may not. Also, if this happened to you, how many of you did the amnio?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Amy

2. Advertisement

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I did the quad screen with my second pregnancy and it came back with a risk of 1:120 of Downs (I was only 30). My scan results (nuchal translucency) were fine, but the blood test was the thing that triggered the positive result. I ended up having an amnio a week later and the baby was normal. I wonder if infertility meds can skew the blood tests at all? Anyway, I'd skip the amnio unless your ultrasound shows markers for Downs. Chances are you are not the 1:240 that has the affected baby.

Mommak
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read alot of people having false+ If you do a search youll find some asking the same question and getting the same answer.

heres one thread http://www3.fertilethoughts.com/foru...ve+quad+screen

I think most likely it is a false +

Getting healthy 2007 is THE year!

Hesmysunshine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just went through this myself, 1:30 chance of Down's---everything is fine, baby is beautiful!! These tests are NOTORIOUS for false positives and creating panic. I have opted out of the amnio b/c the u/s showed us we have a gorgeous, healthy boy coming our way.

Tea~*
    Me 39, DH 51
    "Teddy" 1/15/07 after 4 long years of waiting and praying. The apple of my eye, the beating of my heart. I still can't believe I'm a Mama!

Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times. Martin Luther
    www.zibbet.com/beadsforthee

vmk15
    is trying to get motivated
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I too went through this. At the first U/S there were clorid plexus cysts found on the baby's brain. I then took the quad. My odds for downs was 1:180. I went for the level 2. The cysts disapeared and there were no other soft markers to indicate downs. My odds changed to 1:362. I opted not to have the amnio. It all seems to be a number game. Of corse the only guaruntee would be the amnio but I am not going to take the chance of something going wrong. I could live with those numbers.
    Veronica

Brian - 10/05
    I am 5 years old!

Sarah - 12/06
    I am 4 years old!

They keep me on my toes and make me smile.

JustMe643
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My OB suggested for us not to do the test since he already knew I was worrying enough at the time.
    I have to say that even though I wouldn't do anything if it did come back positive, I really wonder if I should have done the test.. (and maybe have the results given to my best friend or something). I called my OB's nurse and she is about 32 weeks now and she said she didn't do it either.
    For us it was really for personal reasons as to why we didn't do it.
    1. It wouldn't make a diff anyway
    2. The OB said the risk of an amino isn't worth it. (Based on the first reason)
    3. I tend to worry about everything..

My DH works with a guy who they did get a false positive.
    It is totally your choice, and I support you. Just wanted to let you know that the whole stressing out thing is normal. I am 32 and I have read so many books and it seems each one have diff numbers for my age.
    Best Wishes and for what it's worth, I think your first test was a good result.

~Rhonda
    DH 33 Me 32

Blessed by God through the process of IVF/FET
    Proud parents of our sweet Baby Girl "Jessica". Born Dec 8th, 2006 6lb 14oz 19."

Being a Mom feels like A dream. If it is, I hope I never wake up..

kloo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I opted not to take those tests , I knew they show false positives & I had to know 100% ..so rather than the xtra stress , i waited & got the amnio ..which was just fine.

Jann
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    At my nuchal scan, one of my twins was given a 1/3000 chance of having Down's. We did the amnio anyway and he was unlucky and had Down's and associated heart problems. So sad for us. Jann

Marlisajoy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amy,
    I can totally sympathize with all of your feelings. I got a positive screen for trisomy 18, a really rare genetic defect. I had a hellish week thinking about the possiblity of a true diagnosis. When we went for the level 2 ultrasound, the doc said that there was nothing abnormal and that it wasn't even worth the risk of an amnio. Trisomy is something that I think is much easier to diagnose using ultrasound than downs, but I think they would be able to give you a much better idea. If there would have been a question, I would have needed to go ahead with the amnio just for peace of mind, but you need to know how much you will worry even with reassurance that all is well. Good luck...I hope everything turns out to be ok. As my doctor said, "we have to scare a lot of people to diagnose each true case." It's likely a false positive. Keep us posted,
    Marlisa

walrys
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    There are only two ways to truly diagnose Downs Syndrome - amnio and inspection at or soon after birth. The triple and quad screen blood tests can only suggest Down Syndrome - when your odds are higher than the norm they call it "positive" but that's not a diagnosis. It's just a game of odds. Some physical traits may be seen on u/s. If those traits are seen, u/s can increase your odds, but not finding the traits does not rule out Down's.

We had our genetic counseling and u/s yesterday. Our Down's odds were calculated at 1:28, then recalculated at 1:330, then recalculated a third time at 1:90. LOL! All this over my age and date of conception. The other chromosomal tests came back with odds of 1:10,000.
    In my case, my HCG was elevated for the gestational age. This has been the case since the beginning, when two embryos were transferred and we thought we were having twins because my HCG numbers were so high. In the end we found I'm carrying a singleton. I did find out that high HCG and high protein in the urine can be a signal that you're a candidate for developing pre-eclampsia. Of course all the focus is on my having a Down Syndrome baby and no one is checking me for pre-eclampsia!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast