FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

TTC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you know you miscarried if on progesterone suppositories?

Does anyone know? I am very nervous about this pg as I have been trying forever and this was just a flukey thing that it happened. I am taking progesterone suppositories at the advice of my doctor (my number was a bit low at 17 and I had some spotting, which stopped once I started the progesterone). But I was wondering - what the baby wasn't healthy and wanted to miscarry? Can it miscarry or have a problem, but I wouldn't necessarily know it because the suppositories would prevent the body from bleeding if there were a "bad" pregnancy there?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement

jenmom2myboys
    is blessed.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    TTC. I am not trying to scare you but I'll just tell you what happened to me. I conceived Twins and had 4 us by week 9 and both were fine. I took Crinone vaginally every night until week 11 or 12. I went in for an us at week 15 and one of the Twins had no heartbeat and measured only 9 weeks 4 days. I had no bleeding, no cramping, nothing. The Progesterone helps with your lining but it won't stop a miscarriage sy from a genetic abnormality problem but this is true for any woman not just those using progesterone. I have a friend who was not taking progesterone, her levels were fine but miscarrried. They did not have the fetus tested so it is possible it was a genetic thing. A lot of women hav bleeding in their pegnancies and are absolutely fine!! HTH!
    “It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.” – Confucius

T
    K
    W

MEstrada
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    TTC - Great questions, as I had wondered myself, so thank you babidius for answering! TTC, on my first IVF, I was on progesterone supps three times a day and I started my period even before the beta, so I definitely bled despite the supps.

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    TTC.....the progesterone won't prevent your body from m/c'ing. unfortunately if the body is going to expel the pg, it will do so despite the progest.
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!

TTC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so if I do miscarry, would I see the bleeding? I guess that is what I was sort of wondering about. That I could possibly m/c but because of the progesterone, I wouldn't necessarily see any bleeding and I'd continue walking around thinking I was still pg ? Or is a m/c strong enough that it sort of overrides the progesterone and you would see the bleeding?

jenmom2myboys
    is blessed.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    You would not necessarily have bleeding. Like I said I never had any bleeding and my friend who miscarried didn't either, it is called a missed miscarriage. I had no idea that I lost one of the Babies at 9 weeks until I had the us at 15 weeks. I did see my OB at 12 weeks and we heard a heartbeat but was unable to determine whether he was hearing 1 heartbeat or 2.
    “It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.” – Confucius

T
    K
    W

TTC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, yeah, that is what I was afraid of. That I could be walking around thinking I was pg, when in fact, the growth could have stopped. What's stressful for me (although I suppose maybe I should be grateful) is that I really have no signs/symptoms and I'm at about 7 weeks today. I suppose I should be happy that I am not suffering any pg symptoms, but it's stressful because I keep wondering if perhaps it's terminated. I know that sounds like doomsday thinking, but given my history, I can't help but think that certainly this one will end in failure too....

jenmom2myboys
    is blessed.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I know what you mean about the worrying though. I had 2 previous miscarriages, one the month before I got pregnant this time and 1 a year before. It sucks but you just have to wait it out. When do you go to see a Doc?

T
    K
    W

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    TTC...just to clarify...that could happen during any pg. i have heard women who have experienced a loss and unfortunately didn't know it until they had an u/s or lack of hb. this could happen with or without progest supps.

please don't make yourself crazy with all of the "what ifs." i know it's hard. pg brings a lot of worries. unfortunately for those of us who've suffered IF, we're way too educated for our own good. try and focus on the postitive
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!

jadejong
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    How often are you being seen by your dr? I know my RE wanted to see me at least every 10-14 days when I was on prog. supp. to make sure everything was still progressing. Even women who aren't on prog can miscarry and have no symptoms,

But... like was said before, we can make ourselves crazy with the what ifs. Just try and enjoy everyday that you are pregnant. I try and tell myself that IF something's going happen (and most of the time nothing does) I'll deal with it then.