FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

misskitty
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

When can you hear heartbeat w/stethoscope?

Hi! I have a quick question. When can doctors hear a heartbeat with a stethoscope? Also, is there any way to measure the heartbeat with a belly u/s? I know you can measure the heartbeat with a vaginal u/s, but how about a regular one?

Hope someone knows the answer to this. The reason why I ask is we did IVF and we don't want everyone to know, so I'm curious what some of the milestones are for a "natural" conception pg.

Thank yoU!
    Misskitty

9w Twins!

2. Advertisement

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The docs can hear with a stethescope as early as 17 or 18 weeks. Prior to that (11 weeks on), they can use a belly u/s to hear the heartbeat.

I wanted to add that my doc heard the h/b via doppler at 10 weeks 6 days. I heard the h/b first with transvaginal u/s at 7 weeks.
    Last edited by lambchops; 12-21-2005 at 09:15 AM.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

MareRI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    well, my ob never used a stethoscope to check for HB, they use a doppler (small machine with a microphone like device, held over baby)...in my dr's case, he doesnt attempt doppler til 12w because it is so hard to find often...he does a transvaginal u/s to determine HB before that...the HB can be measured by a traditional HB as well, as they can see it and measure it in that respect...
    Maryanne

Andrew 8.5 (10-4-00)
    Lucas 7 (7-17-02)
    Annabella (11-4-08).

(9-04) (blighted ovum)
    (4-05) (tubal pg)
    Isabella Antonia born asleep 2/10/06 at 19w (unexplained)

marya
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Women who don't go through IVF often have transvaginal u/s at 8 weeks and they can see/hear the u/s then. Nothing is different about an IVF pgcy than a "natural" one with these milestones, so don't worry that giving this information will let it "slip" or cause someone to become suspicious.

Personally I've never heard of an OB using a stethoscope to find the heartbeat, so I wouldn't bother with that. I would say, depending on what part of the country you live 50-80% of women get a transvaginal u/s at their first OB appt at 8-11 weeks (when I lived in CA almost all OBs in my area confirmed all pgcys with a u/s at that first visit, in the midwest it seems about 50/50 whether they do an 8 week u/s routinely, but even if it isn't routine, they will do them if they are trying to rule out an ectopic etc.).

If you don't get an early transvaginal u/s, then OBs typically start listening for a h/b with the doplar around 11-14 weeks. Depending on the position of the placenta and how thin you are, it can be heard as early as 11 weeks, or as late as 14.

You can do an abdominal u/s once you are out of the first trimester too, with varying degrees of success until about 18 weeks.

Again, there is a huge range of normal for "natural" pgcys, so nothing you say regarding knowing the heartbeat should tip anyone off to this being an IVF pgcy. Once you are pg, these milestones are all the same
    Last edited by marya; 12-21-2005 at 08:52 AM.
    marya
    DX: Severe MF
    My avatar is the Sanskrit symbol "ohm" It has many interpretations, among my favorites is "the realization of the divinity within all man (or within oneself)."

misskitty
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the insight! You've set my mind at ease.

marya
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I wanted to add, that given that you have twins, it would be highlly likely that you would have had a transvaginal u/s by now even if it was a "natural" pgcy. Unless you have a super low tech OB who only does a pee on a stick test to confirm pgcy, your beta numbers would have indicated multiples, which would prompt most OBs to do an early u/s.
    marya
    DX: Severe MF
    My avatar is the Sanskrit symbol "ohm" It has many interpretations, among my favorites is "the realization of the divinity within all man (or within oneself)."

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    You can have an abdominal ultrasound before the first trimester is over and hear and see the baby's heartbeat. I had one at 6w3d with my first baby, and about the same with number 2. I had a belly scan at 9 wks with #2 to confirm hb when my OB couldn't find it with the doppler (not sure why she was trying that early). You definately don't have to be out of the first trimester to have a belly scan, anyway! I had one at 10 wks with my twins too (that was my first belly scan with that pg). I don't think that all OBs do first trimester scans unless you seem big for your dates (while they are doing a pelvic exam) or you have no idea when you got pregnant.

Ames
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know when you can hear with a stethascope, but my GP, and my midwife both use them.
    GOODLUCK!
    Tyler Aidan born March 11th/03
    Mackenzie Heather born Feb. 25th 2006!
    Now a very proud single mom of them both

Ask me how...I lost weight(27 pounds)
    I got off percocet(200 a month) for degenerative spine and endo pain.
    All clinically proven. All natural.
    Research it. 100% backed up.

Sconi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're having twins!!!!
    Me (30 something)
    TTC #1 for 14 months after not trying for 2 years.
    Bella was born 4/17/06!!