FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anxiety Disorder and 504 Plans

My daughter has a 504 Plan due to ADD and Anxiety Disorder.

My friend's son is really struggling in school this year. His anxiety is horrible. He isn't sleeping...he has gone from a kid who thought he was "smart" to thinking he is "stupid." ;-( 3rd grade tends to do this to kids in our school...

Anyway...I suggested she get him a 504 Plan. She took him his "shrink" and he gave him a dx of Anxiety Disorder.

The principal of our school is saying "anxiety" disorder isn't enough to get a 504. I think that is just plan ignorant as the anxiety is causing him a ton of challenges both academically and socially as well as at home with homework and sleep.

Sounds to me like she didn't have the "whole" story and just hoped the mom would "drop it" which tends to be a rather typical way our district handles things like this.

Any suggestions/advice?

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

2. Advertisement

reesesmonkey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Poor kid. I have anxiety issues. My panic attacks were severe and got in the way of work. My therapist suggested EMDR therapy and it really did help me a lot. I still have anxiety, but now I have techniques I can go to to relax myself.

EMDR Therapy for Children

Good luck.

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kids can qualify for both 504s and IEPs based on social/emotional issues as well as educational ones. From my experience, it's not as easy to get the school to agree to a 504/IEP due to social/emotional issues and I had to get an advocate and special Ed lawyer involved.

She should check out the Wright's Law website they have tons of legal info regarding 504s and IEPs.

katiesmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Confused
    Excuse my ignorance but what does a 504 plan do? My dd has suffered from very very severe anxiety and yes it all began in 3rd grade. Part of the reason I now homeschool her.
    Linda

TTC 4 years 6 failed Clomid/HCG/IUI
    *KB natural suprise miracle born at 28 weeks 9/14/99 due to HELLP syn.
    *JB another natural suprise 6/16/04
    AND BABY make three MADISON CLAIRE!!!!! born June 22nd 6lbs 2 oz our family is complete

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katiesmom View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what does a 504 plan do? My dd has suffered from very very severe anxiety and yes it all began in 3rd grade. Part of the reason I now homeschool her.
    504s are similar to IEPs. I don't know all of details and differences but accommodations are made to help students with disabilities (educational and social/emotional) in school.

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    A 504 allows for accommodations in the classroom. An IEP actually allows both the accommodations and services to help the child.

The problem is, having a diagnosis is not enough to qualify for a 504. You must prove that the diagnosis affects the child's ability to learn and that's where most schools fight it. They say, "Yeah, yeah, anxiety, we get it, but he/she can still do find in a regular classroom without accommodations".

This is what she needs to do:

1. In writing (not email, a formal letter) request review by the SST to determine the need for a 504. I believe the school has 60 days to investigate and call a meeting.

2. In the meeting, present the information that would qualify him for the 504...so, a doctor's letter, a journal of days he had problems at home due to stress at school, for example, anything they think can help their cause. The parents should also have a list of accommodations they feel would be appropriate and present them at the meeting.

The school will have the school psychologist test the child. Don't be surprised if the school comes back with "we think that he can learn just fine even with anxiety", which is why they need to be armed with information showing, that, no, he is not doing "just fine".

My DD has anxiety (among other issues) and has an IEP, which includes things like, she can have a stress ball and use it anytime she feels stressed, she can exit the classroom and go to the quad or the hall for 5 minutes to calm down, anytime she needs to. She also has a special sign she can give the teacher if she isn't following along and wants to alert the teacher...DD is shy and doesn't want to say, "I'm not following", so they developed a special way she raises her hand, that alerts the teacher.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieL View Post
    A 504 allows for accommodations in the classroom. An IEP actually allows both the accommodations and services to help the child.

The problem is, having a diagnosis is not enough to qualify for a 504. You must prove that the diagnosis affects the child's ability to learn and that's where most schools fight it. They say, "Yeah, yeah, anxiety, we get it, but he/she can still do find in a regular classroom without accommodations".

This is what she needs to do:

1. In writing (not email, a formal letter) request review by the SST to determine the need for a 504. I believe the school has 60 days to investigate and call a meeting.

2. In the meeting, present the information that would qualify him for the 504...so, a doctor's letter, a journal of days he had problems at home due to stress at school, for example, anything they think can help their cause. The parents should also have a list of accommodations they feel would be appropriate and present them at the meeting.

The school will have the school psychologist test the child. Don't be surprised if the school comes back with "we think that he can learn just fine even with anxiety", which is why they need to be armed with information showing, that, no, he is not doing "just fine".

My DD has anxiety (among other issues) and has an IEP, which includes things like, she can have a stress ball and use it anytime she feels stressed, she can exit the classroom and go to the quad or the hall for 5 minutes to calm down, anytime she needs to. She also has a special sign she can give the teacher if she isn't following along and wants to alert the teacher...DD is shy and doesn't want to say, "I'm not following", so they developed a special way she raises her hand, that alerts the teacher.
    My DD didn't have to be evaluated at all. But, I did spend a ton of money for a full evaluation by the "Childrens Health Council." Marie - I know you know who they are (in Palo Alto, near Stanford). My DD is alot like M..very shy and won't say when she doesn't understand or isn't following. ;-)
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins