FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I entertain a 9 month old?

My DD is 9 months and is getting bored of playing at home! She has more toys than she knows what to do with. I change out toys, pick up new ones from consignment. She likes playing with her toys for an hour when she gets up and later in the day, before bed time. Other than that, she is bored, crawling all over the house.

We go to Gymboree 2x a week. I am looking into music classes for her. She is getting bored of going to the mall, as I guess watching people just isn't interesting anymore. We go to the park when it isn't raining. I take her with me everywhere, so she gets out of the house alot.

Any thoughts? To be honest, I am pretty bored too! I could sign her up for the Little Gym but it just seems like more of the same, and I like the Gymboree better.
    Me:33 DH:34 TTC#1 Aug'08
    Oct'08: D&C missed
    Feb'09: Hysteroscopic resection, septated uterus.
    May'09: D&C missed after excellent betas & heartbeats. Turners Syn. RPL Panel-clear.
    Aug'09-Dec 09: Clomid/GonalF IUIs, failed.
    Mar'10: Taking mental break, BFP
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10
    Jan'12: chemical
    May'12: IUI gonalf. BFP
    Due date: Feb 4, 2013

2. Advertisement

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We loved the library at that age. Tiny tot story times, library play group and just going to get new books and movies. Also, you can check to see if Early On has a mom-tot play group in your area. If they do, there's no cost and they usually meet once a week for a couple of hours.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

SamsMom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let her explore! Of course, make sure it's safe.
    JulieG

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    She should be rambling all over the house. Have some different toys/books in different spots in the house for her to cruise to/fro. Ds always wanted to be right where I was so I had things in the kitchen I let him mess with only in there. We did tons of singing and dancing and just silly stuff.

Lots of walks and outings in the stroller. That really is a fun age bcause you can still keep them contained!

Adrienne

beautiful boy

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    Mine were rolling & crawling all over at that age. They loved it. I would put toys 6 feet away & they'd have so much fun getting over to them.. then I'd put more toys another 6 feet away. At that age they want to explore & crawl & move.

I also held mine in the afternoon & read to them a lot. I also had some kids' dvds with singing on them & they'd try to sing along. It was so cute. I also played a lot of classical music.

I had no access to a vehicle, so I was home with mine every single day all day long. Once a week I'd go with Mom to the mall & we'd go to church Sunday. My girls still had a lot of fun.

One thing about kids/babies: they don't need to be entertained constantly. They need to learn to entertain themselves & to be allowed to develop.. such as, toys at random places so they can be challenged as to how to get there, etc.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Caro2
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cool
    How does she exhibit getting bored? I cannot fantom a baby getting bored. Maybe she has too many toys I would put them away and only take a few out but they should be not "press a button toys" but more real toys like blocs, huge legos, puzzles, some toys that trigger imagination and also kids don't need stimulation none stop. It is a good thing that your child is exploring her environment. Peek a boo, reading, singing, playing with water... Impossible to get bored
    DD 9 yrs old via FET#3 from IVF/ICSI#4; m/c at 10wks 08/07. Done TTC!

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a baby can get bored either. And I agree that they need to learn to entertain themselves.

I had twins and it was VERY hard to get out of the house when they were very little; we didn't do any special classes as infants. There was a parent/infant group I tried to go to but they just got sick constantly. I really couldn't even go the mall by myself. I did do more things with them once they were closer to 18 mos or so - the library, a gymboree type class etc. I just talked, sang, read to them a LOT. I put out simple toys for them to discover like blocks - IMO the simpler/old fashioned kind are WAY better than any fancy electronic stuff. My girls are both in the gifted program at school and are talented in other ways (such as music) so it didn't hurt them!
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

AshRS
    is a happy girl :)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I seem to have gotten into a routine in terms of playing/activities every day, and it seems to work - every one comments on how happy the boys are! They don't seem bored to me, although I do get bored... Now there are two of them, so maybe thats why they are always entertained...anyway, here it is:

Wake up - after bottle, play with a few toys on the carpet (mostly things they just put in their mouth)
    Eat
    Play with toys in highchair (different toys than earlier)
    Eat little puff things in high chair - either from tray or from a little bowl - working on their fine motor!
    Nap
    After nap - play with stuffed animals in crib together
    We play with blocks (well, they put them in their mouths...)
    I have kid music playing in the background
    Story time with mommy - 2 or 3 books (as many as they can sit for)
    Jolly jumper
    Exersaucer (and then switch)
    Bottle
    play on carpet with toys - maybe their activity tables this time
    Food
    play at highchairs with toys from the morning (seem new again!)
    weather permitting, play with toys on blanket in backyard
    Nap
    Bottle
    Food
    Go out - groceries (small trips), Babies R Us, just a walk, etc. - we go out almost every day at this time
    Home - play on carpet with toys
    Bath - play with toys in bath
    Play on carpet with daddy
    stories and songs
    bed

Because I have twins, we don't go to as many things out as I would with one - we go to one story time class for 45 minutes on Monday mornings.

My point in listing it all out for you - just wanted to show you that we don't really DO much, but the boys are still happy. It doesn't take much to entertain them I don't think. They like to just play and crawl and explore and listen to me talk and sing.
    Me (30) DH (30) married July '08
    TTC #1 since Dec '08; PCOS
    2009 - 2 IUIS - BFN
    Feb 10 - ER for IVF; ET delayed due to OHSS risk - 11 frozen blasts
    Apr 10 -- FET - 2 AA blasts - BFP - 2 boys
    November 29, 2010 - L &R