FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

a safe bug spray for 2 year old?

My poor little guy is a mosquito magnet and is covered after 15 minutes ourside during the evening or morning. He woke up this morning covered in bites after a walk last night. I feel so bad for him, and he looks awful. I know some are safer for kids than others. Any recommendations? I know Deet free, but which one is best? I saw a few but they said 4 and up.

TIA

2. Advertisement

SC-blu_sky
    has no status.
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Happy
    I use familycare off. Have since the kids were little.
    Liz (37) DH (37)
    3.5 years ttc, 2 surgeries & 9 medicated cycles, end result priceless!
    Sofia and Alexander 11/14/06 @ 34w2d We are 6!!!
    Proud member of the 777 club!

tessqt
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    I just saw a kids friendly bug off cream and roll ons on the Today Show this morning. Check their site, it was created by a father whose kids hated to put on the other stuff.
    Take Care and God Bless
    Tess

China Angel - 1998
    Korea Angel - 2000

virga
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I shudder imagining a 2 year old with chemical bug spray on his skin. So, I agree with going the natural route. We use All Terrain. They even make a version with spf 15 which is handy for camping, lake trips, etc. I even saw it at Target the other day. It is heavily scented with citronella and other herbal scents. And I do make my kids take clothes off downstairs so the odor doesn't permeate our sleeping areas. Other options--have you tried the fans? We found a coupon for buy one get one free. I'm sure if you do a search, you would find one. We have not tried them yet. There are ankle/wrist bands out there. We have not tried them either, but a neighbor's child uses them. I have occasionally used the sprays with Deet (it's even an ugly word) when I have been unable to find my usual brand and have sprayed my kids clothes ONLY which has meant that they may wear long sleeves and pants when it is 70 degrees out.
    Last edited by virga; 05-27-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Mom to ~
    Daughter 8/91; Son 5/01; Son 12/03; Son [born and returned] 8/07

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    There are much milder ones for kids 12 & under. I never sprayed it on mine; I sprayed it on my hands & wiped it on them. I used 'Off' Family--Skin so Soft.

I know they've been developing more natural products. Those weren't available when mine were young, but chemicals on a young child .. not good. I would try to natural route first if at all possible.

I am in a West Nile virus belt... if it weren't for WN, I wouldn't have even used Off on my kids at all.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

JenIN
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avon makes Skin-So-Soft bug repellant wipes that come in individual packages. They are not cheap, but they are effective. I love being able to just wipe the kids down and then throw the wipe away. The wipes are big enough I can usually wipe down all 3 kids with one wipe (ages 9, 5 and 5).

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Family OFF but just put on their clothes, not directly on the skin.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

AmandaG
    loves essential oils.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I have an essential oil blend called TerraShield that is 10 times more powerful than deet and totally safe. Smells good, too! PM me for details!
    Amanda,
    blessed homeschooling mom to three beautiful princesses and and one handsome little prince!
    8/95 6/99 4/03 11/09

m/c 02/08

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Amanda hopefully mine will arrive today! do you put it in a spray bottle?

Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds CRAZY but it works. Since we have a beach home and live next to a nature preserve we get bugs and ticks. An older neighbor who has lived there for...well forever swears by using the GOLD colored Listerine mouthwash. You buy a squirt bottle and fill it with the gold colored listerine. Spray on clothes and skin. Works like a charm. We keep bottles in each of our cars...it gets so bad walking back to the house from the car and in the house at each door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast