FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

Anyone know how long it takes to get a death cert and b4 life ins. pays out?

Yep, morbid question. Sorry. My dad is still hanging in there...barely.

He's left my mom/me with a financial nightmare. It makes me SO thankful that my dh and I are so careful with our finances.

So, I have a few questions....

1. Do you need a death certificate for life insurance to pay out?

2. How long does it take to get a death certificate?

3. How long b4 life insurance pays out?

My mom needs this life insurance money like yesterday. My dad's version of "making ends meet" was to drain one of his retirement accts. He is only 62. My mom is 60. Nice.
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

2. Advertisement

bearz
    in a state of constant confusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-momla View Post
    Yep, morbid question. Sorry. My dad is still hanging in there...barely.

He's left my mom/me with a financial nightmare. It makes me SO thankful that my dh and I are so careful with our finances.

So, I have a few questions....

Yes. It is their proof the person is dead and that there were no extenuating circumstances (like suicide or murder) which would give them cause to not pay.

It depends on what information the coroner needs. When GGM died, even tho she was 102 and had 3 separate heart conditions and had been failing for months, the coroner was reluctant to issue a death certificate even tho the death was attended, expected etc, because she had fallen within the last 6 months. He asked a ton of questions of several people. It took about 5-7 days before the DC came.

File it the day you get the DC. It really depends one the company but it should be fairly quick. Probably within 2 or 3 weeks. We never got life ins but the other monies came really quick.

My mom needs this life insurance money like yesterday. My dad's version of "making ends meet" was to drain one of his retirement accts. He is only 62. My mom is 60. Nice.
    Last edited by bearz; 03-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    The Farmer's Wife
    As I chose him, I chose this land, this life
    And always knew that as his wife
    Midst labors never done. By love we three were wed. We and the land are one.

Cel2
    has no status.
    Site Coord/Just Starting&Allergies
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mom died almost 4 years ago. She had multiple myeloma so there were no questions about her death. I believe we got the death certificate right away from the funeral home. The life insurance took several weeks but I think we had the check within a month after I filed the paperwork. You will definitely need the certificate to file a claim; you could contact the company to see what forms you need and have them send them to you.

I know how hard it is to deal with the financial issues when someone is dying.

AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No information for you on the insurance issue, but want to send you a hug and prayers for strength and peace while you deal with all of this.
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

LandJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Almost immediately you'll get a temporary death cert and everything else can be done with that one. However, the life insurance company MUST have the final certificate and you MUST have an original. The funeral home will request probably 10 or so originals (you'll have to pay for them).

Depends on the situation. In my case it took THREE MONTHS (and I'm not exaggerating) to get dh's final certificate. There was an autopsy b/c it was an unexpected death. He died in NC. My funeral home director told me that state is notorious for being the slowest state in issuing the certificates.

My dh had State Farm life insurance. They were notified upon his death. Once I finally had the final death certificate in hand I called them and they had a check for me the next day. They were wonderful.

Also, your mother should qualify for your Dad's social security. That took about a month to get going and was retroactive.

((HUGS))
    8 years old

LandJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now that I think about it. I didn't get a check from State Farm. They would've given me a check if I had wanted, but instead they opened some sort of account for me and gave me checks to use. I just left the $ in that account and wrote an occasional check until I could get my ducks in a row with an investment company.
    8 years old

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    Yes, you need the death certificate. Since Grandma was 84 & in poor health it didn't take long to get it.

Grandma died in May 2009. Mom & her sibs just got the insurance money a few months ago.

As far as the will, I think it was about a year before they got anything from her bank accounts, etc.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Chanteuse
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to add, that you should order enough DC from the funeral home for everyone who needs them. They are cheaper that way than they are getting one at a time. Bank, Veterans office, insurance, etc.

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Good info everyone. Thank you!
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

JanetOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    my grandfather just died 2/20, buried 2/25 and my dad had the death certificates within a week. This was a county in CA. Not sure if that matters. He was 99yo, died at home and the funeral arrangements were all set prior to death.

yes, you need the death certificates for the life insurance proceeds. Not sure how long it takes to get the money but it shouldn't take long given your dad's circumstances.

Sorry you are dealing with this...never an easy thing.

Janet
    Janet
    Aaron & Andrew 11/16/00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast