FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired

how long does it take to get Lexapro/antidepressants out of your system?

I have been on some form of antidepressant since Z was 10 months...so 8 or so years. I have decided to try without them and use herbs/vitamins excercise instead. My fingers are also crossed that it will help me lose weight as I was skinny as a rail before antidepressants. I was on 10 mg of Lexapro...and over the last month and a half have decreased just a bit till the last couple weeks I haven't taken any. In the afternoon my head feels funny. Kindof like a headache...kindof wishy....a bit dizzy like. It's hard to describe. Could this be the med still in my system? For what it is worth I haven't had any depression issues and very rarily anxiety issues. (I am going to keep the xanax sp? but only need it a few times a month)

Any idears?

2. Advertisement

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    Still the meds. It can take a good 6-mos to leave your system, then you can still get occasional side fx for a year or more after. The side fx can be brutal & you can develop a rebound depression which is withdrawal & why many ppl go back on before that 6-mos is up.

Hang in there.. the first 6-mos is the worst. I went off Effexor after being on AD for years & years & even 3 years later sometimes get a numb upper lip (one of the annoying withdrawal things I had).
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Thank you so much K! WOWSERS. That's a long time!! I AM glad to know why my head feels so wonky....but gosh that stuff can't be good for your brain. (neither can depression though)

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Answers.com - How long does it take to lose weight gained while on Lexapro after you stop taking the medication

Oh and I wish I had seen comments like this before. At the time I did need med....but honestly I think I should have gotten off of it years ago. Like some of these comments my dr said it doesn't cause weight gain I have gained 60 pounds over the last 8 years and honestly do not eat that much and walk 4 miles 5 times a week.

katiesmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Confused
    I've got the same exact issues with lexapro and weight gain. I've gained 20lbs. I'm afraid to go off of it so I cut my 10mg pill in half. I'm not sure but I think it may be helping. I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and have not gotten on a scale yet. Reading that other stuff has me totally stressed out. Omg I'm very glad dd was only on it for a very short time. She also gained weight on it. I cut hers in half for a while then she stopped taking it all together. She was not on it very long so hopefully she won't feel any of those scary withdrawal effects. But I think she's slimming down already.
    Linda

TTC 4 years 6 failed Clomid/HCG/IUI
    *KB natural suprise miracle born at 28 weeks 9/14/99 due to HELLP syn.
    *JB another natural suprise 6/16/04
    AND BABY make three MADISON CLAIRE!!!!! born June 22nd 6lbs 2 oz our family is complete

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I gained 20lbs on Lexapro. Back up to the biggest I have ever been (since the time I was 136lbs)...I am 130lbs now.

I have tried to go off of it...but, I crash...so, I must stay on it. Even when I don't take it for a few days I get the "zaps" and headaches and dizzy. Hate it...but, I can't afford to get depressed again.

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyous View Post
    Answers.com - How long does it take to lose weight gained while on Lexapro after you stop taking the medication

Oh and I wish I had seen comments like this before. At the time I did need med....but honestly I think I should have gotten off of it years ago. Like some of these comments my dr said it doesn't cause weight gain I have gained 60 pounds over the last 8 years and honestly do not eat that much and walk 4 miles 5 times a week.
    Joy - how old are you? I sware - when I turned 35, it was all downhill from there. I did get down to 110lbs...but, I was starving myself from depression. The lexapro packed back on the weight. But, even though I don't eat nearly what I use too...I continue to gain and gain and gain.
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Oh yeah, I gained 20lbs on Lexapro. Back up to the biggest I have ever been (since the time I was 136lbs)...I am 130lbs now.

I have tried to go off of it...but, I crash...so, I must stay on it. Even when I don't take it for a few days I get the "zaps" and headaches and dizzy. Hate it...but, I can't afford to get depressed again.

Lori
    Woman how tall are you?? I sure won't be putting what my highest weight is.

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Joy - how old are you? I sware - when I turned 35, it was all downhill from there. I did get down to 110lbs...but, I was starving myself from depression. The lexapro packed back on the weight. But, even though I don't eat nearly what I use too...I continue to gain and gain and gain.
    *gulp* 40. Geesh at 110 I would be skeletel. At 130 I was too skinny. I'm 5'9"

virga
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyous View Post
    *gulp* 40. Geesh at 110 I would be skeletel. At 130 I was too skinny. I'm 5'9"
    I'm only just over 5'6" and I was a rail at 130. I would be horrifying at 110.

I don't have any advice for you with Lexapro, but wanted to share that I'm off coffee as of the past week and feel a similar woozy, almost headache in the afternoon/evening. It stinks!

As far as weight, I don't know if it would help, but I started taking a probiotic and aloe vera gel simply for digestive health and it has really helped to keep my weight stasis.
    Mom to ~
    Daughter 8/91; Son 5/01; Son 12/03; Son [born and returned] 8/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast