FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SamsMom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How much do girls grow after starting their periods?

My neice (age 10, 11 in December) just started her period this week. My sister and I were wondering how much more she would grow. I remember reading something somewhere that girls pretty much stop growing when their period starts. My niece is 4 ft 10 inches. We come from a very short family, so this could be it. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
    JulieG

2. Advertisement

HeatherMA
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the girl. I asked the pediatrician this question because my DD is REALLY tall and I hope she stops at the period.. I was told some can squeek out a few more inches..

MaryK-MN
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    DD's doctor said that it is typically a year after when their period starts. DD started fairly late (almost 15yo). Most of her growth was 15-17yo so it was about 2 years after she started. She may have now reached her full height (she will be 18 in December).
    Mary
    J (12/22/92)
    S (3/8/00)

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." — Audrey Hepburn

TheGoodLife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    Interesting, I never knew there was a link for some girls. I started my period late (almost 15) and was a very small girl; everyone always assumed I would be a petite woman because I was so tiny. Little did everyone know that I'd become the tallest out of all my sisters (my brothers are slightly taller than I). I kept growing until I was 18-19-ish. I know this because my first military entrance physical listed my height as 5'7". The next time my height/weight was checked (which are adminstered immediately following a physical fitness test), I was 5'7.5". And then for the rest of my time in the military, I was 5'8" - which is my full adult height. Height matters because the amount of weight you're allowed depends upon your age and your height. So I was very well aware of what my height was so I could monitor my weight. No one wants to weigh-in overweight in front of their entire unit, so that's why this sticks with me. And during this time, I had to change size jeans, from 8 Reg to 8 Tall.

So I would say she might not be done yet. I certainly wasn't.
    Last edited by TheGoodLife; 10-31-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Sayrah
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    I always thought that in general girls will grow roughly another year after their periods start, and then should be their adult height. That was true in my case; I started at age 14 and over the next year grew about another inch.
    I was also told by our ped that typically the shorter kids will have a longer/bigger growth spurt during puberty and the taller kids will experience a bit less of a growth spurt.
    Sara
    Mama to Maddie 03/27/03
    Mama to Charlotte 12/29/06

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I didn't grow at all after starting AF. I reached my full height 5'10" at 10 years old! I was the tallest for so very long, then hit high school and the boys caught up.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

Ellie Mae
    What does not kill us...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Some stop as soon as they get it, most within a year.

I was 21 before I was finished growing. I was 5'2" when my first child was born when I was 19. When my daughter was born 2 years later I was 5'5".

Now my DD, I hope she gets some more height even though she has started her period. I mean, she is blessed with her 5'8" already (at age 12), but I was hoping for her to get a couple of more inches before she stops.

16 15 13 6 5/05

shogun
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong but what I remember was that you grow 3 inches at the most after you get your period.

BamaGal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our ped told me girls usually grow for 2 more years after starting. Of course that's an average, but I've seen it hold true for both my girls.
    God bless,
    Jamie

H 16 S 13 J 9

Caligal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My 1st DH's cousin was the same height for years. At the age of 21 a few months before she was getting married she grew like 4 inches!

I heard that women can grow to the age of 21.

She had her dress altered but was just alittle bit short on her.
    Me 42 DH 51

Ryan 5/22/08 thru IVF
    Cole 3/23/10 Natural surprise pregnancy

In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast