FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MaureenG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chronic stomach aches in my 9 year old- anyone else go through this?

First off, let me start by saying I do have an appointment with a pediatric GI next Wednesday July 28th, but I'm not sure we can make it until then!

My daughter has always been a tummy ache kind of kid... you know, before school starts, if she's worried about something (and she is a worrier), if she is doing something new. Occasionally it's worse than the norm and she really seems to have pain for no explainable reason. Twice in the past two years I have spoken to her pediatrician about it. I feel like the doctor kind of brushed me off and I had to be a bit forceful. They put her on Prevacid and I think it helped somewhat, but her pains come and go so I'm really not sure if it helped or not.

Well, within the past two weeks things have gotten much worse. She is telling me daily, almost hourly, that her stomach hurts. Last week I decided that she really needs a full GI workup and I researched pediatric GIs. There is only one in my area and it took a while to get into. Since making the appointment she has been in agony and I'm at my wits end. I have tried every over the counter thing I can try. Pepto Bismol, mints, crystallized ginger, dairy pills, eliminating milk and all dairy, eliminating wheat, Tums, the BRAT diet, bland foods, etc. This poor child is suffering. Tomorrow I'm going to call the GI and beg them to see her sooner, otherwise I may take her to the ER. I don't know what more I can do for her and it is breaking my heart to see her in so much pain. Do you think that's a good idea? Should I call her pediatrician instead? I know they'll see her right away, but I'd rather have a GI doctor look at her at this point and get her started on the testing that I'm sure she's going to need.

It's not constant, but it's very frequent. She doesn't feel like she has to poop and it's not nausea. She said she feels like she has been punched in the stomach. She is able to eat and she has been going to the bathroom, so I'm not sure this is an emergency situation, but how long do I let her go on being in pain? She's not worried about anything, and in fact this is the least stressful time in her life. I'm off in the summer and we have been home, sleeping in, swimming, hanging out with friends, and basically loving life other than this issue. So I don't think this is stress or anxiety related.

Thanks for letting me get this out. I'm a very worried Mom. Any advice would be really great.

2. Advertisement

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I'd say call and see if they can get you in sooner, or at least put you on a "cancellation" type list, where they can call you if someone cancels. I would try to avoid the ER if possible. I hope the doctor can find out what is causing this pain, and that your daughter feels better soon!

Dawn

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a DD like that...the Ped keeps telling me its nothing. I actually believe the Ped. My DD has a ton of anxiety around things. When school starts up again...she starts in with the stomach aches...now that her pet hamster is on his last leg, she has started in again...if ANYTHING happens in her life that is at all stressful, she is up saying her tummy hurts.

She even saw a child shrink for a while for this....she never would really talk to the Dr about her anxiety...so, it didn't really help. ;-(

I believe your DD has something going on...but, with mine, no way! Total "faker"...or, anxiety induced.

In fact, she is up right now because of her "tummy ache" that started at 9pm (and has been happening at 9pm/bedtime) for the last 5 days since her hamster got sick.

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could she be getting ready to start her period? I remember have horrible cramps before I started.
    I know that 9 is young but my grandma started at 9.

I have stomach issues too and what seems to help me is lemon water. Lemon lowers the pH of the water and helps to settle the stomach. It's a thought.

Another thought is does it seem to be more to one side or the other?

LisaCan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does she have any allergies? My Ds was having stomach pain and we uncovered some food related allergies; since we have eliminated those food, he is not having the pains...

Tummy pain is a hard one cause there are so many possibilities.

Good Luck with getting her seen soon!

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dd went through this last summer, when she was almost 9.

In her case it was triggered by a couple of real stomach bugs (one in May, when she threw up at a school event, then again the day after school ended when we were out at a museum). It then turned into an almost daily complaint of pain and fear of vomiting which was made worse by anxiety though not necessarily related.

After numerous discussions with the pedi's nurse we decided it was "recurrent abdominal pain", which is a very real disorder. It most commonly occurs in 9 year old girls. It's not necessarily in their heads, but can be stress related. I took her off all dairy for a few days and she took yogurt pills to try to regulate her digestion better. We also stopped talking about her stomach and if she complained about it I said "you'll be OK, don't worry" and stopped the conversation. The next step was to do more testing, but luckily it finally stopped with these methods (this was a good month later).

I'm not saying this is what your dd has. But I think in my dd it was at least caused in part by the change in routine from school to summer, even though she had lots of fun things to do/relatively low stress.

Hope you figure it out soon.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

2Princesses4Me
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Drunk
    My 8 yo daughter did something very similar. She would complain daily, but sporadically throughout the day) of her tummy hurting. I took her in and we ran about $1500 worth of tests and found nothing. At the end we came up with a couple of ideas. We believe that part of it was anxiety in addition to constipation. I now sneak soluble fiber into her juice to keep her more loose. I have found that once the constipation problem was addressed that the tummy complaints occurred with less frequency.

Good luck. It is tough to deal with problems such as this.
    Gwen

TheGoodLife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    Ugh. No advice as a parent, but I was like this as a kid. I was also a worrier. A big ball of stress all the time. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the attention it brought me, so that probably didn't help matters much. My mother would let me stay home from school when it got real bad, she took me to the doctor, gave me yummy-tasting flavored Tums, etc. My stomach really DID hurt; my stress manifests itself that way. Even to this day, it's just how I am. I get stressed or worried, and I feel like I am going to throw up. But I clearly remember enjoying all the attention because of it.

Like Janice's daughter, I also have anxiety about stomach bugs and vomiting. It is my only phobia (called Emetophobia), and it is nearly debilitating. Any twinge of stomach pain or nausea, and I am sent into full-fledged panic, fearing that a stomach virus is coming on - which in turns makes my stomach feel even worse. It's a vicious cycle and I have had to learn to slow myself down to prevent me from talking myself into getting a stomach virus. One nasty stomach virus (while I was all alone with my then-toddler) was enough to do this to me. I was VIOLENTLY ill, sicker than ever before in my life, vomiting and dry heaving for HOURS, laying on my bathroom floor, bursting blood vessels in my face, losing my voice, becoming lethargic and dehydrated, while my 12 month old was screaming for me in her crib. I literally live in fear of getting sick like that again (and the fear, ironically, can upset my stomach). Has your DD had any traumatic illnesses like that?

I hope you can get into the ped GI right away and get some answers.

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    My dd had recurrent stomach and chest pains a year ago. They ran tests for UTI and pneumonia (several times each). They also put her on Zantac, thinking it might be due to reflux. In the end, the allergist diagnosed a milk allergy (on a totally unrelated visit). Sure enough, we took her off dairy and within a day or two, the stomach pain disappeared. We did the elimination diet, so she was off for 10 days. When we put her back on, the stomach pain reappeared.

She is also an anxious child. She still gets stomach aches, but just not every single day.
    Mommy to two beautiful girls:
    Jordan (8) - dx: Asperger's Syndrome, SID/SPD, milk allergy
    Brooklyn (5)- small but mighty!

Visit my online store!

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast