FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

hoping
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Confused

Question Is it OK to mix childen's Advil in milk?

hope so, since that is the only way I can get N to take it.

Picked N up at the gym yesterday and they said he had been fussy and felt hot. Got home, checked his temp 103. Checked all of our medicines against the recall list, we had 1 bottle of Tylenol that was OK. Gave him a dose of that, he took a 3 hour nap and the fever was still at 103. Waited a while, then gave another dose of Tylenol.

K was finally able to find some children's Advil, which the Ped's office said was OK to use on him. Gave him most of that at 7 and it was a real struggle to get it down him apparently he does not like blue raspberry. During the night he was much cooler, temp checked him at 4 and it was barely 99. He got up at 8 and temp is again 100, I tried more Advil, but he spit it out, so I so put it in the milk.

Not sure what is wrong, no other symptoms, just sleeping a lot and not eating at all, but he guzzles milk all day long.
    SD Age 18 SD Age 15
    IVF #1 Sept 2004 BFP,M/C at 6 weeks
    IVF #2 Jan 2005 BFN
    IUI's 1,2,3,4 all BFN
    IVF #3 June 2006 BFN
    FET# 1 Nov 2006 BFN
    IUI #5 11/07 BFP
    born 8/6/2008

IUI #6 April 2009
    born 1/5/2010

2. Advertisement

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    We were advised never to mix meds into milk or juice because you can't tell how much they are getting, if they refuse to drink it all.

We used to mix in a bit of hershey's chocolate or strawberry, just a couple of drops can make the meds taste sweet.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    I used to lay them flat, kneel over them pinning their arms under my knees, head between my knees, & then I squirted it toward the inside of the cheek toward the back.. a little at a time with the syringe. This was the ped's advice. They told me the same thing at ER. If it's just a little toward the back of the mouth, it trickles which triggers the swallow reflex & they have to swallow. If it's the full amount, it's enough for them to spit it out. It works like a charm. I always had some water ready for them to take a swallow or two right afterwards.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How old? Can he take a pill? My 8 yr old hates liquid so we have moved to pills whenever possible.
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how old he is - would he do the Advil chewables? My kids prefer that to liquid for tylenol (I rarely give Advil because it seems to bother their stomachs - but I THINK they make the Advil in a chewable form too).

Janice
    L&E 11/00

Rita22
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    mix it in a small amount of milk and make sure he drinks the whole thing, it works for us all the time.
    R

Mom to DS age 7

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.......

Leave the rest to God"

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I mix it into juice for Nick to drink--of course, as QTs points out, if you do it that way you do need to make sure they drink it all.

One option I like, that many Americans think is absolutely vile, is suppositories. I know--ick. But, if you can get your child to cooperate, they are great. No struggling to get bad-tasting liquids down, no pills to deal with. I wish more meds in the U.S. came in that form. Anyway, we buy Feverall suppositories and I do use them from time to time.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills