FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FiletMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question for moms with sons about athletic supporters (jockstraps)

Okay, totally weird question but since this is my first experience with this ...
    My dh is out of town and my 5 yo son has to wear an athletic supporter tonight to his martial arts class. This is his first time wearing it. Here is my question -- how do you wear the darn thing? It came with underpants with a built in pocket, but I don't know which way to put the cup in - narrow side down or narrow side up? I'm guessing the wider part of the cup goes at the bottom to protect his "jewels"? My (non-athletic) husband told me on the phone it goes narrow side down, but that doesn't seem right.
    Thanks!!
    Amy

2. Advertisement

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea, but what on earth is a 5 year old going to be doing in martial arts class that requires a jock strap??????????????? Good luck with that!
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

JanetOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is narrow side down.

My boys wear them for baseball and I have these underarmor shorts that have a "pocket" for the cup. They work really well too, but it sounds like you have what you need.

Does the cup even fit him at age 5?

Gosh, I think the cups we have at age 9 are HUGE...you know the package just isn't that big.

Janet
    Janet
    Aaron & Andrew 11/16/00

MaryK-MN
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that "nobody" wears jockstaps any more. They all wear protective underwear/shorts now. Like the underarmor described.
    Mary
    J (12/22/92)
    S (3/8/00)

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." — Audrey Hepburn

peako
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Narrow side down. My ds got kicked at a sparring match and said the cup didn't help much, his instructor said "he got hit real hard trust me it helped" My ds found the the compression type short with the cup pocket to be much more comfortable than elastic strap type.
    peako

If you don't stand up, you can't fall down.

and the Mother of a

Jane Smith
    long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Narrow side down. My boys have to wear them for hockey and they are 6.5 yrs old. It is as a precaution.

FiletMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies; unfortunately we left before I could check them so he wore it the wrong way tonight. I guess narrow side down makes sense so they can move around easier, but doesn't seem like it would protect much? They should put an arrow on it saying "This side up"! Luckily there were no errant punches or kicks so his stuff was safe!
    His instructor lets them do sparring one night a week - with a bunch of five year olds I guess the chances of a misplaced hit or kick are pretty good. His cup size is "peewee" - I was laughing thinking that one day he is going to be embarrassed about that. (Almost as embarrassed as I was asking the teen salesclerk where their cups were!)
    Thanks again, ladies!
    Amy

peako
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding
    At the school I trained at most of the guys (big and small) were bad about wearing a cup. It was very difficult to be sympathetic when one was injured.
    peako

If you don't stand up, you can't fall down.

and the Mother of a

Misty
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I think I am kind of hoping my two (5 yr old) boys will one day decide to join the band instead of sports...
    MISTY~~14 IUIs and 2 IVFs
    Triplets born 5.10.04 @ 35wks
    EV ** NA ** AJ **

Please visit the triplet's personal webpage for the March of Dimes/March for Babies:

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Definitely go with protective gear that has the cup built in!! no questions on whether its being worn correctly! They are expensive - but worth every penny if you ever have to see your child injured!

Good luck!

P.S. My boys have been in sports for years. (and years! LOL) Luckily that type of injury is one we haven't had to deal with - yet.
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast