FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

hopie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cub scouts Den leader pros & cons?

My son joined cub scouts and is a tiger scout. We went to our first meeting last night to find out they do not have a den leader for the Tiger scouts. Me and another mom were thinking of being co-den leaders, but we were going to think about it. What are the pros and cons of being a den leader? What is expected of a den leader? Is it too time consuming for a two moms who work full-time jobs?
    Hope
    Mommy to a 03/19/03

Back on the Weight loss wagon - 15 lbs

2. Advertisement

MareRI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    we have been in Scouts for two years...both boys. Our den leaders are awesome, and are both working moms. Den leaders are expected to move up each year with the boys, so its a long term commitment.

Our den leaders have an activity planned each week, keep track of belt loop and badge requirements/fulfillments, plan field trips/bake sales/small fundraisers, etc...they also each collect dues in our dens ($1/week for each den, for their den activities). They each have various pack responsibilities too, assigned by our Cub Master.

My DH was asked to be one last year (Luke was a tiger) but with the new baby, he couldnt commit. They have now tapped him to be a Cub Master next year, but we arent sure if he wants that much responsibility either, what with three kids and activities, and being "alone" at night with them all (I work nights)

I dont know of any of our dens with co-leaders, they all pretty much seem well run with one...they do each have helpers, who record dues, and record the belt loop/badge log (though the den leader is responsible for recording them with the pack and getting the loops/badges)
    Maryanne

Andrew 8.5 (10-4-00)
    Lucas 7 (7-17-02)
    Annabella (11-4-08).

(9-04) (blighted ovum)
    (4-05) (tubal pg)
    Isabella Antonia born asleep 2/10/06 at 19w (unexplained)

robine
    in line for the re education camp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cold
    DH was a den leader from the time DS was a tiger until DS was awarded his Eagle rank.

He had a good group of scouts/parents for the most part with only one or two thinking BSA stood for Babysitting of America.... as a tiger cub, each parent/s of each scout is supposed to take an activity and plan it ( at least it was that way 11 years ago)

for example, one parent arranged a tour of a grocery store he worked at, another arranged a tour of the local hospital , while another planned a tour of the firehouse etc.... Tigers is relatively easy but it is the later years when the time and committment really kicks in.

However, you can always do the tiger thing this year and work on getting other parents involved for next year.

Every one is busy.. Everyone has other committments, but it comes down to how much are people willing to give. ( time wise not $$ )

DH was working FT, we were struggling with DD's issues at the time, I was a brownie leader and working part time, DH was a volunteer examiner for Amateur radio while teaching a 12 week course each year, traveling for work out of the country, and we both volunteered in church and with two local adoption groups, and even though at the time we had no high schoolers, we volunteered at the HS snack shack but he still stepped up and was the leader ... it can be done, but it does cut into "free" time
    Last edited by robine; 10-14-2009 at 07:02 AM.
    in
    When the loudest opponent of your policies achieves his greatest success because of them

Rita22
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Robine, I work full time and volunteer for several causes, and am the Den Mother for our second year. After Bears I will step down and let a Dad take over. Get the other parents involved, we rotate homes and leaders for each requirement. Our pack mets monthly and our den monthly as well so only two meetings a month.
    R

Mom to DS age 7

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.......

Leave the rest to God"

RobinL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say here that it only takes 1 hour per week, but from what I've seen and the comments I've heard, that's far from true. I work full time and I do not feel that I have the time necessary to devote to it. Our den leader just took on a co-leader to help lessen his load. Our den meets weekly and the pack meets monthly.
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--13yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--9yrs

ResqMomma
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Crappy
    Just do me a favor........

Get a folder and all the training YOU do for that record it.

Things are getting ugly in our pack over a bunch of BS and it's sad....

I think we will be moving to a neighboring pack before it's over with.
    SINGLE Mom to 3 and 1 angel--B, , K, & C

SamsMom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a co-leader for our Bear group.

The initial training is very minimal. In our area, anyways, we are given suggestions as to what to cover, but what we actually do is up to us. Our den meets every other week, and the Pack monthly. You can, if you want, do a field trip during the month as well, but it's not required. I find it manageable to do, while volunteering with lots of other groups and working part time.
    JulieG

jow
    Good things...are always around the corner. Just depends upon which corner you look! LOL
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Training is key here. Get it done New Leader Essentials, Fast start for tigers. Den Leader specific training (to learn your new job) and YPT which is youth protection training. A trained leader is an effective one.You weed out the people who are not willing to go and do training, they tend to make lousy DL's. It is a very rewarding job!