FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Potty trained 3 year old peeing on carpet - WWYD?

Within the last couple weeks, my 3 year old son, who is completely potty trained day and night, has been peeing on the carpet. I *think* it is mainly happening first thing in the morning when his bladder is full to the brim. Seriously, it's like he pulls down his pants and "fire hoses" the floor!!!!!! And it's not just a puddle in one spot, no. It's lines "drawn" here and there. I come across the pee on the carpet throughout the day, hardly ever right after he's done it. I clean it up with my Bissell Spotlifter and it generally takes me about 30 minutes to complete.

I just finished vacuuming the entire upstairs (all the bedrooms and large loft area, which we use as a playroom) and found two MORE dried pee stains!!!! What the heck can I do????

I know the most obvious thing would be to take him potty right when he wakes up, which I try to remind him to do. But I haven't figured out what I can do to discipline him for this!!!! I can't have him clean it up because I don't think it's reasonable to have a three year old scrub the carpet with soap and water and dry the spot. Maybe I'm wrong??? Help me here, please.
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

2. Advertisement

Ferret Mommy
    sure needs some positive thoughts! :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love
    I have not been in this situation yet, but if you think it is happening first thing in the morning, then you need to be the one to get him from his bed and make sure he makes it to the bathroom.

I want to see what others think.. thats why I am posting! Good Luck!
    Kat DH
    1/07 -
    6/09
    10/09
    3/12 -

MarinaTwinMom
    says hello!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Hmm.

I might try some sort of behavior chart for a month or so. At the end of each day, if you haven't found any new stains, put a sticker on a calendar. When he gets seven stickers in a row, give him some sort of treat/reward (a Matchbox car, a small candy bar, or something inexpensive that he likes ... even a trip to the park to play).

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I like the reward chart. One of my twins went through a phase at age three of purposely wetting on the carpet, always in her room. It made me really mad but luckily it was a short-lived phase.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

C&R's Mom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Put a little potty in his room in case he needs it as soon as he wakes up. And yes, he CAN clean it up, even if you have to go over it afterwards. You are not his hired housekeeper and he needs to be taken away from whatever he LIKES to do and do what he needs to do. If you aren't comfy with that, then some other consequence like a time out or whatever else you usually ue do to discipline him.
    Steph
    Mom to ds, age 14 from Korea and dd, age 12

mdvmd
    has no status.
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    my 3yo cleans up his own pee whenever he makes that choice! (not well, mind you, but he does it). he says, "this is GROSS!" i said, "now you know how i feel, and it's not even my pee pee!"
    dss 16, dsd 15
    DS 10/05
    DS 11/09
    DD 7/12
    GRAND FINALE due 4/21/13!!
    b/d 1-21-05
    "A person's a person, no matter how small" Dr. Seuss
    12/03 & 10/08

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would make him clean it up.

years ago when I worked with school age children, someone was peeing on the rolls of TP in the bathroom. It took me a few days to figure out it was one of the Kindengardeners but when I did. I made him clean them all up. I also told him that if one more roll of TP was every peed on, I was going straight to his Mom. It stopped and we never had another roll of wet TP after that.