FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bearz
    in a state of constant confusion
    Post Thanks / Like

Really, really old looking hands.

Ever since I can remember my hands have looked old. In my early 20s I had a boyfriend who used to tease me about them being old lady hands. Now, at 49, they are awful. There is no elasticity to the skin, it is dry and tough and wrinkled.

I do wash a lot...probably 20/30 times a day but that is just in the last few years since DS came along.

I've recently lost some weight. Now they look worse. SO, I'm wondering if any of you know any magical treatments for old looking hands. Do I wear plastic gloves filled with homemade cucumber and papaya? Rent a belt sander and give them a good going over?

Give me your best tips please!
    The Farmer's Wife
    As I chose him, I chose this land, this life
    And always knew that as his wife
    Midst labors never done. By love we three were wed. We and the land are one.

2. Advertisement

PrincessBride
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No ideas here. I remember loving my mom's hands!! I just wanted to congratulate you on the weight loss! That's terrific!
    ~PBH~
    Mommy to a Grasshopper, Fairy and a Butterfly
    *Angelita Marie held in Grandma's arms until I come home & Precious Brother resting with them in the presence of Jesus*

Sony
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Washing 20/30 times a day is definately drying out your hand! I would think you should moisturize very often. Unfortunately if they looked old in your twenties, they will most likely get worse with age. I think this is just the hand you were dealt! LOL. At least it's not your face
    Sonja
    L. 8 years and growing too fast
    J. 4 year old spitfire

Check out my Etsy shop for boutique childrens items
    www.beachbabydresses.etsy.com

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Wow! Washing 20-30 times a day?! Why so often? That is definitely contributing. I think I wash my hands about 1/2 of that. But, maybe I'm doing it too infrequent.

I would slather a very good thick mosturizer on your hands and night and wear those sleeping gloves. Over time that may help.
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

bearz
    in a state of constant confusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-momla View Post
    Wow! Washing 20-30 times a day?! Why so often?
    Its the farm. With all the animals and doing chores 3x per day plus all the handling of animals inbetween and 3 cats in the house I am very careful to keep my hands clean.
    The Farmer's Wife
    As I chose him, I chose this land, this life
    And always knew that as his wife
    Midst labors never done. By love we three were wed. We and the land are one.

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    OOOOHhhhhhh. Gotcha. In that case it seems totally reasonable. :-) Try Vanicream. It is a wonderful moisturizer. Then, I think you can get some nighttime gloves at Bed Bath and Beyond.
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

LBWP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Maybe you should try a pair of those moisturizing gloves that you wear while you sleep at night? Maybe use a parafin bath once/twice a day? I'm thinking w/all your farm chores I'd probably wear gloves as much as possible.
    What about a moisturizing hand sanitizer that might cut washing in half?

I'm just grasping at ideas. I use massive amounts of Bertoli Light olive oil for ALL my skin/hair care needs.

L (45)
    K&E=7
    "If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation!"

BC-NanceLee
    is the chirpy moderator of the Over 35 Board
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I have read they actually will do filler injections in hands - of collagen or fake collagen stuff. I saw a before and after picture and couldn't believe it. Easily a 20 year old hand in the second pic. But I am sure it costs a bundle and - OUCH!!

No lotions, etc will plump up hands again. Mine like yours have been bony and thin skinned for years, as well as more recently sun-damaged. The skin is still smooth if I make a fist! I should just go around with my fists clenched all the time.
    If you have any questions about your fertility treatment or doctor, the Patient Care Advocates may be able to help.

Me fifty-freakin' six! DH 35, Max 23, Cole 19
    The only choice in life is love vs. fear. I choose love. ALWAYS.

Change is inevitable, growth is intentional. - Unknown

Rita22
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eucerin hand cream, with gycolic acid, works wonders on hands. The foot cream works great too.
    R

Mom to DS age 7

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.......

Leave the rest to God"

rae
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Vanicream on my hands, as well as the rest of my body.

When I was 15, I happened to notice that my palms looked exactly like my Grandma's hands. Sure enough, turning them over, I could see they were her hands all over. It wasn't a pleasant thought at the time. Then, at 17, my Grandma died. That's when I started looking at my hands in a different light. Even since Grandma died, it's one connection that I still have and will always have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast