FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phud
    is super busy!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

7 year old stomach hurts every time she eats...

Particularly bad the last few days. Yesterday she said it hurt to press on her tummy, but when I asked her where the pain was, she pointed to her belly button region. She was crying in the car on the way home yesterday claiming it hurt so badly, but then she sat down to dinner and ate just fine. Then complained after dinner that it hurt.

Any idea what this could be? It could be gastritis, but sheesh...she seems a bit young to have h-pylori? And she takes a probiotic every day. I don't know about appendicitis because she's not running a fever and the only thing that seems to indicate it is the vicinity of the pain. She eats fine, just complains after she's finished.

Could this be attention-seeking behaviour, since I do show concern when she complains? I usually give her a Rolaids and the majority of the time is immediately fine, sometimes she'll lay down and then feel better. It's too far down her system to be heart-burn. The pain she was feeling yesterday was too low to be her actual stomach. I thought maybe gas, but she says no and has no rumbly tummy.

Guess we are due for a trip to the doctor. Any experience with mysterious belly pain?

TIA!
    I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me. ~Stephen Fry

2. Advertisement

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    how long has this been going on? my dd tends to be a bit dramatic so when she complains I do not make a big deal of it at first but can tell after awhile if it is genuine. kwim? There's been other times I"ve done that and it will turn out she is darn sick. I hope you are able to figure it out soon.

Phud
    is super busy!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    She cried about it yesterday on the way home (we'd had a day out playing so I suspect she was very tired) but then ate a full dinner. Then complained again about it hurting...right about bedtime. She does complain a lot after dinner about her stomach hurting, but if she lays down or if she takes a rolaids, she's fine. I don't know this time if she's faking or if she's genuine, but her timing is suspicious.
    I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me. ~Stephen Fry

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    is she nervous/anxious about anything? when I was a child I had tummy issues when I was anxous.

LilGa
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello-my dd is also a drama queen and will point to areas and say it hurts etc...especially the head, she usually wants 'medication' or a cool rag on her head...but if we say 'let's get in the car and go to x...she has forgotten about it' LOL! BUT...that said, if I were you I would make an appt w/ped. My personal experience, the area 'right' above my belly button would hurt all the way to my back after I ate(sometimes hours after) before I figured out that I had issues w/wheat-cant say that I am celiac, never been tested-but I cut out wheat and the problem has not come back and it's been over a yr...and it was bad, I would lay over an ottoman backwards...ugh, it was a sickening feeling.

At any rate, I would make a journal of what she eats daily and then put an x when she complains...should tell you alot.

Good luck w/it~Lil
    5yr b/g twins
    3yr boy

Suebee
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to know when a child is pretending. That being said:

I have Crohn's disease. I had it as a child. My mother blew off my symptoms when I was a child. I quit complaining. It almost killed me in my early twenties and then of course aided the growth of colon cancer in my thirties. I wish my mom had done something when I was 7 and I wish I had not learned to deal with pain so much that I ignored it in my thirties.

Sue

PS Check her poop to see if there is visable blood or mucus, if you see either make an apointment right away. Kids should not need tums on a regular basis and it can upset the natural balance of the stomach acid. They actually will sometimes make the stomach produce more acid. You should mention her use of these as well if you do go in to the doctor.
    Last edited by Suebee; 05-31-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    Suebee
    Cancer Survivor
    Life is one surprise after another!

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    It could be an allergy. My dd was having terrible stomach pain and it turned out to be a milk allergy.

It could also be gas or constipation or even stress... I would make an appt to have it looked at, but the pediatrician told me that stomach pain is one of the hardest things to deal with in children because there are so many different causes and it's really hard to narrow it down.

Has she been sick lately? Another thing one of my girls had was mesenteric adenitis. Children have lymph nodes on their intestines, which can become inflamed when they are ill. When they are swollen, it can hurt to touch them, plus the intestines do move around in the body so they can rub even when you aren't touching them. We thought Brooklyn had appendicitis or intussusception (I know I spelled that wrong!) but the ultrasound showed swollen lymph nodes. Just another possibility...
    Mommy to two beautiful girls:
    Jordan (8) - dx: Asperger's Syndrome, SID/SPD, milk allergy
    Brooklyn (5)- small but mighty!

Visit my online store!

BC-GoMom
    Jesus is the Reason for the Season!
    BC: Preg +35/Christianity
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Check out Emetrol or anti nausea meds (generic). It is a liquid. It doesn't have the constipation qualities of Tums. I will give them a spoon full of it and it usually takes care of it. My 8yo dd often complains of tummy, and it is usually when she's had too much milk, cheese, and her bowels are just full. She gets hunger pains. eats, then stomach hurts worse. I have to give her a couple of days of lots of fuit and veggies and beans to get her going again. Then she quits complaining.

Sayrah
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    It could be just anything; so many illnesses, chronic and otherwise, can cause belly pain. It's definately worth a trip to the Dr.
    My 6yo complains of feeling 'sick' to her stomach all the time too, and yet will eat her meals. DH and his grandmother both had ulcers/pylori and both had GERD. DH suspects this might be the issue for us and I've even started her on Zantac plus Tums when she's feeling yucky. She will frequently vomit in the middle of the night so I know she isn't faking (she's a drama queen too LOL!). The Zantac has made somewhat of a difference but hasn't made it all better yet. We want to take her to a ped-gastro doc as soon as we can get a referral. I don't see why a child COULD'NT have an ulcer; if they're exposed to the virus wouldn't they be suseptable to ulcers just like an adult?
    Sara
    Mama to Maddie 03/27/03
    Mama to Charlotte 12/29/06

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm having similar issues with my 4-year-old DD. I am wondering if it is a blood sugar issue because when she is hungry, her behavior changes and she seems to lose control. I also wonder if it is a reflux problem. She had issues as a baby and took Prevacid. A couple of nights ago, she woke up 5 times during the night...crying and tossing and turning, complaining of her stomach hurting. I think we'll be headed to the doc soon. It is just so hard to figure out stomach pain, especially in little ones.

I hope you can figure out what's going on with your DD soon.
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast