FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired

What to give 9 year old for constipation?

He had these issues bad as an infant due to being on formula for 2.5 years. Off and on it returns. This year he has even gotten a hemorrhoid. (He went to the dr for) This month it has been bad and most likely we will go to ped this week. We have used prune juice which helps a bit but with his syndrome it has too many calories. We have some chewable Benefiber tablets that have done nothing. He eats VERY healthy...I have pretty much kept him off of bananas as I know they can be constipating. Once a week I have been giving him a laxative which results in an accident....a VERY MESSY accident. (yeah I am about immune to poo due to him ) he will sit on the potty for a long time and when I look (let me tell ya he is thrilled that he has to wait for me to look in the toilet ) this has led to both upstairs toilets becoming plugged with him using tooooo much tp....:

Any advice?

eta- oh yeah when I look his poos do not look that hard???
    Last edited by Joyous; 04-13-2009 at 09:51 PM.

2. Advertisement

Sherri
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried glycerine suppositories?
    Z=15
    G=13
    R=9
    E=6

www.SweetieDumplings.etsy.com

HUGE summer clearance!

AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...if his poo's don't look that hard to you, are you sure he's truly constipated and not just withholding stool? Is it possible that because of his life long constipation issues he's now developed a fear of pooing...afraid it's going to hurt?

I've had life long issues with constipation. The ONLY thing I've found to keep me regular is eating at least one bowl of shredded wheat a day. I eat the frosted mini-wheats and it keeps me soft and regular.
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They have Miralax over the counter now. You disolve it in a liquid (water or otherwise) and drink that. That's what I use for Jalen, and I have used it for Jeran in the past, too.
    DawnL Jim 21 wonderful years!
    Daphne-artist Jeran-future Spiderman Jalen-future Nascar champ

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by AmymOH
    Hmmm...if his poo's don't look that hard to you, are you sure he's truly constipated and not just withholding stool? Is it possible that because of his life long constipation issues he's now developed a fear of pooing...afraid it's going to hurt?

I've had life long issues with constipation. The ONLY thing I've found to keep me regular is eating at least one bowl of shredded wheat a day. I eat the frosted mini-wheats and it keeps me soft and regular.
    Good thought but I do not think so. He sits on the toilet 4 times a day for a 10-15 minutes...a lot of times at night. At first I thought it was behavioral as he need a lot of supervision in our bathroom as it isn't completely A-man proof and his toilet is plugged up....well it was until tonight...but is still draining slow. He is going poo each time!! Not a lot but some and it doesn't look hard?

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I would give Miralax a shot...for a couple weeks to see what happens. Never was successful for me (my own issues!)
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Miralax, without a doubt. Marielle used it while on chemo, still uses it a couple times a week. It's odorless, tasteless, you can dissolve it in juice, water or other beverages. Start with a full dose (capful) and then give half a dose every other day to keep him moving.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

Sarah66
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Miralax. It is wonderful. My dd is very constipation-prone, and it is so great, and so palatable. She can't tell if it is in her OJ or not.
    Sarah66
    mommy to 2 wonderful kids! I can't believe how fast this goes Who hit the warp drive button?
    Ds age 12, Dd age 9

Mom to a special needs child--my amazing, funny, tenacious dd!

onniebay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the Miralax. Shawn has had the symptoms of encopresis so I make sure he goes everyday. If he does not go one day, I automatically start the Miralax the next day. It has been a life saver!!!!
    Bonnie
    Mom to Shawn 2/6/05
    Home from Guatemala 11/17/05
    Ovarian Cancer Survivor
    Praying for Mateo

bearz
    in a state of constant confusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    When Jason was a baby in foster care he was constipated really bad. His foster mom gave him Fennel Tea. It cleaned him right out. She said you wouldn't have believed what came out of that kid. I've never used it but heard other good things about it. You might want to find a health food store and check it out.
    The Farmer's Wife
    As I chose him, I chose this land, this life
    And always knew that as his wife
    Midst labors never done. By love we three were wed. We and the land are one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast