FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Brooklyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Pimple near lip (cold sore)

My 7 month old daughter has VERY sensitive skin. She is teething and is always rubbing her mouth and chewing/sucking on something. A few days ago she got what looked exactly like a zit above her lip. It cleared in a few days and today another one popped up. It looks exactly like a zit that you would get as a teenager. Red with a white head.

The reason why I am freaking is because a few months ago a family member kissed her with a cold sore. This really looks like a pimple though caused by irritating her face, but I am scared that it's a cold sore.

What is the difference between a pimple and cold sore? Is it common for a baby to get a zit?

What should I do? Should I take her to the doctors.

2. Advertisement

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea what's the difference!!! I would think a zit has fluid and a cold sore is more just a sore that's not filled with anything? Either way they both could spread so I wouldn't pop it. I would think if she gets more than 2 spots ot it doesn't clear up soon I would take her to the dermatologist. But now I'd just wait and see... maybe get some cold sore ointment at the drug store? Or some Clearsil?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Cold sores are more like blisters. They get filled with clear liquid and the skin will slough off like a blister you'd get on your foot. They also tend to happen in little clusters. They can also swell really big, making the lip huge.

If it has a white head, it's not a cold sore. Sounds like acne to me...

Crystal

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How awful a family member would kiss your baby while having a cold sore! I would have absolutely been LIVID!

It doesn't really sound like a cold sore. They are SO painful! My 11yr old gets one or two a year since he was about 4, and he has cried in pain! My mom gets them, too...and she says its like fire burning...but itches at the same time. They both use prescription Denavir & it does wonders & dries them up very quickly.

Anyways - I hope its not cold sores! Your dd is so young!!!!
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

Brooklyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks very much like a pimple to me, but since someone kissed her with a cold sore I am so paranoid. I am watching this thing so carefully and worried sick. I am also so upset with the family member too for being so dumb to kiss her and her twin brother numerous times, for numerous days with a sore and mad at myself for not analyzing his lips. Okay sorry for the rant....I'll monitor this, but thanks for the hope that it's probably not a cold sore.

njmama
    is not a good multi-tasker...
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    You know, if she's putting things near her mouth due to teething, I wouldn't be surprized if it's a zit.
    My LO got a zit a few times on her face -- I think it was becasue of soap that didn't get washed off. Her skin is UBER sensitive, too.
    If it comes up again, or won't go away, I'd take a quick run to the doc. Just to make sure something's not infected.
    njmama

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Kim C.
    My mom gets them, too...and she says its like fire burning...but itches at the same time.
    Yep. It feels like a BURN. They hurt really bad.

Crystal

Brooklyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalAZ
    Yep. It feels like a BURN. They hurt really bad.

Crystal
    So she'd probably be cranky or acting unusual. She's as happy as anything so hopefully it's nothing. Gosh being a mom is hard!

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    A primary herpes (HPV) outbreak on her face would be sheer agony for a baby and look more like shingles than a zit. The first time anyone gets a cold sore it's very painful and your little one would be very ill to boot (high fever, swollen lymph nodes, crying, etc.)
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem