FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

NJ-DawnCuba
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost baby tooth but not the root.

My dd had a stairs accident and lost 2 teeth (one front tooth and one next to it)when she was 3. We decided not to put false teeth or do anything about it, she had x-rays taken then and her adults teeth could be seen on it.

Now she is six and the other front tooth has been loose for a few days, my ds hit her in the mouth while playing and it bleed a bit but she was ok.
    Today the tooth finally came out but I noticed that it was missing the root and when you look in her mouth you could see something white left behind.
    I want to take her to dentist and see what they do for this, will it have to be removed or will it come out when new teeth come in.
    Poor child she is only 6 and had been without teeth half of her life.
    Dawn
    Blessed twice-
    DD born 5-02 from first IVF at 40 years old
    DS born 12.03 adopted former foster child.

My mother is a travel agent for guilt trips.

2. Advertisement

shogun
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dawn, Sho had exactly the same thing happen (I wrote in my blog recently)!! He lost his first tooth but it was missing the root and I saw a white thing in the gum. I was able to take him to the dentist that afternoon and she pulled the rest of the tooth out after taking a quick x-ray. BTW, They did local anesthesia. Sho didn't even see the needle and did not really realize what exactly happened, he did not even see the pliers-like instrument she used to pull the tooth. lol. so glad we did go that afternoon! He was sooo excited that day! In the letter from the tooth fairy that night, I mentioned his visit to the dentist and that how brave he was. He was convinced of the tooth's fairy's authenticity as she knew that he had been to the dentist. lol.

BTW, the dentist says this is not so common. Also, when she pulled the rest of the tooth out, she showed me that the new tooth was very close to the surface and should be out pretty soon. Indeed, I can now see it.

I would like to know what your dentist does tomorrow. Pls update!

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know baby teeth had the root... uh oh. I'm wondering if J's tooth he lost if that thing in the gum was the root instead of the perm tooth.

I did a bit of searching and found this so we're o.k.

In the normal course of events, the permanent teeth slowly dissolves the baby tooth root as it comes in up under the baby tooth. Finally, there is not much root left. The baby tooth gets loose and eventually falls out.
    Last edited by JJsmom; 07-20-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

NJ-DawnCuba
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    She is going to dentist today, let's see what happends, I could not take off from work and she is going with her daddy, I am a wreck, he is big and strong but not so good with this stuff.
    Dawn
    Blessed twice-
    DD born 5-02 from first IVF at 40 years old
    DS born 12.03 adopted former foster child.

My mother is a travel agent for guilt trips.

shogun
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did it go, Dawn? Just wondering!

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    J has lost 3 baby teeth. The only one that had a root was the molar that was pulled. The baby teeth come out without the root. The white you are seeing is probably the adult tooth coming in. I could see a bit of white after J lost each of hers and sure enough, within a day or two the new tooth poked further through the gum.
    Mommy to two beautiful girls:
    Jordan (8) - dx: Asperger's Syndrome, SID/SPD, milk allergy
    Brooklyn (5)- small but mighty!

Visit my online store!