FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Would a gynecologist prescribe diet pills?

I'm curious which doctor would be the one to ask for diet pills, a regular family practice doctor or my gynecologist? I am not even sure I qualify for a prescription but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask (I am 25 lbs overweight according to healthy weight charts). There's always threads on this board about losing weight, or needing to lose weight but not much mention of pharmaceutical help to do it . My sister swears by phentermine (or whichever half of phen fen you can still legally get) I really want/need to lose about 18 lbs but my mouth won't stay shut . My stomach fat is starting to effect my esophagus and it can be rather uncomfortable at times (If I'm not sitting up real straight all the time my gut hurts). I am torn between crash dieting so I'm not embarrassed of my weight at my next annual exam (which I need to have in the next month), or just sucking it up, going in with my "overweight" BMI and maybe asking for a script . We all know the proper way to lose weight, but if it were that simple we'd all be skinny, right?
    Last edited by Kylie; 05-21-2008 at 08:19 AM.

2. Advertisement

jenmom2myboys
    is blessed.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I would think it would be your family Doc not a Gyno. I need to lose some weight myself. I would love to just take a pill but it scares me since I know someone who is dying from taking phen/phen.
    “It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.” – Confucius

T
    K
    W

darla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it depends on the doctor. i know my doctors wouldn't prescribe it for me, unless i ask a doctor friend for a favor; so i simply buy phentermine over the internet.
    Darla

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

MareRI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My endocrinologist rx'd Phentermine for me over a year ago, I lost 40+ lbs with it (exercise too). I no longer see her bec my A1C's have been so good for more than a year now, I am no longer considered a Type 2 diabetic. I talked to my OBGYN about going back on it after I have the baby, bec I was doing so well with it and he agreed to rx it afterwards, provided everything else is ok...and I know he had rx'd it for a friend of mine, so i dont see why not? My OBGYN pretty much functions as my primary dr anyway, as i dont have one...

FWIW I tried the phenfen you can get over the net and I found the rx Phentermine worked so much better. The only bad side effect i ever had was a racing heart when i would couple it with too much caffiene...once i learned not to do that, I was fine and lost a ton of weight on it...
    Maryanne

Andrew 8.5 (10-4-00)
    Lucas 7 (7-17-02)
    Annabella (11-4-08).

(9-04) (blighted ovum)
    (4-05) (tubal pg)
    Isabella Antonia born asleep 2/10/06 at 19w (unexplained)

Ames
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a new product launching this weekend here in Canada. Proven medically, clinically, in a lab, on people..certifed and 100% safe. I would take it(because I know people that are already on it) before I would take any prescription. Hoenstly. you will be able to have it shipped to the US as it is made there.
    Email me if your interested. There is no caffiene/phentermine/phen fen.. or any of that garbage in it.

amystone@rogers.com
    Tyler Aidan born March 11th/03
    Mackenzie Heather born Feb. 25th 2006!
    Now a very proud single mom of them both

Ask me how...I lost weight(27 pounds)
    I got off percocet(200 a month) for degenerative spine and endo pain.
    All clinically proven. All natural.
    Research it. 100% backed up.

darla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ames
    There is a new product launching this weekend here in Canada. Proven medically, clinically, in a lab, on people..certifed and 100% safe. I would take it(because I know people that are already on it) before I would take any prescription. Hoenstly. you will be able to have it shipped to the US as it is made there.
    Email me if your interested. There is no caffiene/phentermine/phen fen.. or any of that garbage in it.
    interesting. i just sent you an email, i hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by darla; 05-21-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    Darla

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    None of the gyns here would. They would tell you to make an appt with your family dr, but would likely share any info they have. Mine won't prescribe anything but female-related stuff b/c he just doesn't pay as much attn to anything non-female related; whereas family drs keep on top of it b/c they deal with it every day.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Why not just call and ask? The office staff can probably tell you whether they would or not.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Laura1
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it. I know mine would not.

curly
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    yes. mine would. she also prescribes antidepressants. love her!
    Jill (31) Dh (30)
    "C" 12.10.04 "J" 3.11.08
    Surprise! - EDD 4/30/2010!
    --------------------------------------------
    07/02 11/06 01/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast