FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your kids wear school uniforms: How many should I order? (Updated-Order Placed:)

UPDATE: The School Uniforms are ordered. Thank you!! All of the advice really helped. There were many points and ideas I had not considered. Thank you to all that offered tips.

I got there and asked for clarification and they handed me a beautifully clear easy to understand handout that I think should have been in the mail with the letter telling me what day and time to show up. I guess they forgot to stuff that in the envelope. Oh well. So the nice man showed me the very easy and very short list required for the Pre-K kids.

Whew! It is very practical clothing and makes a lot more sense than the handbook's list of stuff. The required outfit is for the most part the gym uniform as was suggested here. Pricey for what it is but those are the rules. All things must be ordered from this company. And most things are printed with the school logo so anything not ordered from here would really stand out. I am sure as we are in the school we will discover where exceptions are made/accepted by the school administration. For now we shall follow the rules. For Laine especially that will be very important. She will notice if her sweatpants are slightly different color than her friends and she will stress over it. Uniforms will be a good thing for her.

Each of them got:
    1 Short Sleeve Navy Jersey Knit Dress $25
    1 Navy Sweat Shirt (printed) $16
    2 Navy Sweat Pants (printed) $16
    1 Short Sleeve Lt. Blue Knit (embroidered) $20
    1 Long Sleeve Lt. Blue Knit (embroidered) $21
    1 Navy Mesh Shorts (printed) $16

I ordered bare bones as many of you suggested. I only ordered 3 cool/cold weather outfits per kid and that is only 3 outfits if they use the sweatshirt over the short sleeve polo and if I find a long sleeve shirt to put under the dress or they wear the sweatshirt with that also. I need to buy another warm weather outfit by next spring since I only have 2 of those. I will HAVE to do laundry before the start of the school week and again every Wednesday at a minimum but I already do that anyway. I am fine with that while we see how they like the clothes and what I can get second hand at the October uniform swap.

Thank you again for all the tips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ORIGINAL QUESTION:
    Ok, I am trying to determine what to order tomorrow at the girls school uniform fitting. This is our first time so I suspect I will order more than or less than necessary without some guidance. The girls are entering the pre-K program and will both be 4 years old. We are in New England. The girls dress code is pasted at the bottom of this post.

Items to order from uniform company seems to be listed below. How many of each?
    1) Plaid Jumper (part of JUMPER OUTFIT)
    2) White blouse with navy piping (part of JUMPER OUTFIT)
    3) Navy sweater embroidered with school name (part of JUMPER OUTFIT)
    4) Long Sleeve Polo shirt
    5) Short Sleeve Polo shirt
    6) Navy or khaki slacks
    7) Navy or khaki walking shorts (to be worn in early spring or fall)
    8) Gym class uniform: Navy sweatpants, navy gym shorts
    9) Gym class uniform: white knit shirt, sweatshirt (do I order these or purchase on my own? I have to ask.)

Other items to purchase independently before fall:
    1) White or navy tights
    2) ankle or knee socks
    3) white knit shirt, sweatshirt (order these or purchase on my own? I have to ask.)
    4) White soled sneakers: Navy, black or white Keds or Docksiders, etc. (no sneakers or shoes with soles that mark up the floor)

Thank you so much for any advice you have a moment to offer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    DRESS CODE
    The following dress code will be strictly enforced. Parents may be summoned to the school if students are not properly dressed.

GIRLS - KINDERGARTEN
    REQUIRED: Plaid jumper and white blouse with navy piping Navy sweater embroidered with school name

GIRLS - ALL GRADES
    REQUIRED: Navy, white, or light blue polo shirts (long or short sleeve) printed with school name White or navy tights, ankle or knee socks
    OPTIONAL: Navy or khaki slacks Navy or khaki walking shorts to be worn in early spring or fall (Dates are to be determined by the administration.)

BOYS AND GIRLS GYM UNIFORMS
    REQUIRED: Navy sweatpants, sweatshirt, navy gym shorts and white knit shirt Shoes-.
    GIRLS: Navy, black or white Keds or Docksiders, etc. (no sneakers or shoes with soles that mark up the floor)
    Sneakers: White soled sneakers for gym only! ALL pants and shorts MUST be purchased from J.B. Edwards Uniform Co.

The end.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by KL; 04-08-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    Kim

Kaitlin & Laine . Aug 6, 2004
    We are 5 years old!!!

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake..."
    - Marie Beyon Ray

2. Advertisement

sista
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would get one jumper each, that is all I get every year for Ellie, since they are pricier and she wears it only about once a week. I get her one skort, then like 3 or 4 pair of pants for each of them. I sometimes buy the tops and bottoms at Kohl's or JcPenney's, because they are far cheaper and greeat quality. I know Lands End has uniforms also. The blouses I quit buying for under the jumper, they aren't as cozy as polo style and I hate ironing. But maybe your school has rules for certain tops under jumpers. I am baffled by pre-k having to change for gym. That would be a nightmare. You have quite a list of stuff to get, I would try and get what you can at a store also to save some $$$.
    Mom to DD E,11
    DS D,9
    DS N,7
    DD A,5

NJ-DawnCuba
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter in in Catholic school but no uniform so far, now for the first grade she will need it. The clothes we need sound very similat to yours. I am thinking of ordering 2 jumpers, 3 blouses, 1 sweater, 1 of each of the polos shirts and a pair of pants to start with.
    Dawn
    Blessed twice-
    DD born 5-02 from first IVF at 40 years old
    DS born 12.03 adopted former foster child.

My mother is a travel agent for guilt trips.

njmama
    is not a good multi-tasker...
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    My DD is in catholic school.
    I ordered 5 short sleeve blouses, 3 long sleeves, 1 sweater, 2 jumpers.
    Then, 5 polo short sleeved shirts, and 2 shorts for warm weather uniform.
    She usually wears short sleeves, even in the winter, with the sweater. This way she can take it off if she's hot.
    And it's always hot in school.
    The two jumpers has been a Godsend when she squirts mustard on herself; I just pull out the other one cleaned already, and I don't have to panic and quickly do a load that afternoon.
    njmama

ajbear
    has no status.
    One of those non-snowing southern states!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My kids wear uniforms at their catholic shcool as well.

My daughter has one jumper outfit. She only wears it maybe once a week - twice if I wash ahdn hang it quick enough.

She also has three skorts and three long sleeve shirts and three short sleeve shirts. Once again, we wash very night. So I guess I'd buy three pants and three shorts if I were you.
    I only bought one gym uniform. Once again, my wash machine is always going anyways, so what's another uniform?!

Pretty much the same thing with my son - three long sleeve shirts, three short leeve shirts, three pairs of pants, three pairs of shorts and one gym uniform.
    Amanda
    Mom to C, B, S, 24 wk triplets, born 1999

Mom to Twins in heaven 2001

*FET November 2007 *

MichelleVA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is what I would do based upon my experience in Catholic School with uniforms for 12 years ughhhh LOL

1) Plaid Jumper (part of JUMPER OUTFIT) 2 of these
    2) White blouse with navy piping (part of JUMPER OUTFIT) 1 of these
    3) Navy sweater embroidered with school name (part of JUMPER OUTFIT) 1 of these
    4) Long Sleeve Polo shirt 3 of these
    5) Short Sleeve Polo shirt 3 of these
    6) Navy or khaki slacks 2 of navy and 1 khaki (will probably get dirty faster so I would do one Khaki)
    7) Navy or khaki walking shorts (to be worn in early spring or fall) I would do 1 and 1 for the fall and see how it works out she might prefer a jumper for the summer it is cooler.
    8) Gym class uniform: Navy sweatpants, navy gym shorts 1 of each if they stay inside I would only do shorts.
    9) Gym class uniform: white knit shirt, sweatshirt (do I order these or purchase on my own? I have to ask.) I would purchase my own if they let you for the bottoms and the tops.

I would purchase whatever you can at your own store not the uniform store. We did that and saved so much money. Also ask your DD what she would prefer I wanted to wear my jumper more than pants or shorts. I would put a pair of shorts on under my jumper since I hadn't mastered sitting in skirts in K and 1st Grade LOL.
    Good Luck
    Michelle
    MichelleVA
    Mikayla 12 Mya 10 Zoe 7 Jalen 4

EDD 6/21/13
    We thought our family of 6 felt like heaven....someone from above thought we should be a family of 7!

lisa in venice
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would get just a few things before school starts to see what kids actually wear. At my kid's school while shorts and khakis were allowed for girls NONE of them wore them, it was all jumpers and skirts for the older one. The jumpers and skirts were also the most expensive items so I only bought two new and once school started I got two more used. I did three short sleeved polos new and five or so used. ONe new sweat shirt or sweater and the rest used.

For ds they were allowed to wear khakis but for some reason they ONLY wore the khaki shorts. I bought one pair of long pants new and one pair of shorts then got 3 or so pairs of shorts used. Most private schools with strict uniforms have uniform exchanges. It can save you a ton of money and most of the things are in excellent shape. You know how you buy all new stuff and your kid has a sudden growth spurt? Well that happens all of the time and folks turn in their uniforms to the exchange.
    Lisa
    Mom to Nathan (23) Anna Rachel (20) Sam (13) and Miranda (9)

Furbabies:
    Nola the Ridgeback/ Pit Bull mix and all cuddle bug

Roxy Hart the Chihuahua/Yorkie watch dog

Nemesis the long haired tabby who IS the boss of all of us

Nox Juju Black shelter kitty who adopted us all

tammyh
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy as little as possible. This stuff is expensive. I had to pay $80 for the plaid jumper and blouse. Our PTA has sales and I buy off of them. Shirts are $5, jumper was $20. Also, the stuff with no logo/school name (shorts, pants) can be bought from Mervyn's or from the internet where it's much cheaper. Or find someone that has a child bigger than yours and make a deal for the hand-me-downs.

PreK shouldn't require gym clothes. Don't think you need that. Just buy what you minimally need and add from there.
    TammyH

KL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is all really helpful. Thank you all for helping me out. I was definitely going to buy WAY more than I should to start. As suggested, I asked the girls if they would prefer dresses or pants and both shouted DRESSES! I was ordering more on the pants . So I will order bare min. with plans to do extra laundry until we figure out what the other kids wear and what the girls want to wear.

I am also shocked by the gym uniform. I am hoping I get there tomorrow and they tell me that is not for the pre-k. Can you imagine all those 4 year olds changing for Gym? That would take FOREVER!

There is a uniform exchange. I think it is in October. I may hold tight with just the basics until that comes around.
    Kim

Kaitlin & Laine . Aug 6, 2004
    We are 5 years old!!!

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake..."
    - Marie Beyon Ray

morynn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kenzie wore dresses (jumpers) alot in K. Now, in 2nd...she hates wearing them! She doesn't like having to wear shorts under them. We bought 2 each navy and khaki pants; 2 each navy and khaki shorts; 2 each navy and khaki skorts. We bought 2 each (navy, white, red) short sleeved polos. We have a couple of long sleeved polos as well but she would rather wear her sweatshirt or sweater than the long sleeved polos.
    Kim
    Kenzie (9) & Tanner (4)

Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly!
    Author Unknown

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

I'm on my way...-20 lbs...57 to go! 1 pound at a time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast