FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

jys
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it safe to use Aloe Vera on baby? (what to do if baby gets sunburn?)

We are going to the beach with 8 month old DD and I'm trying to think of everything under the sun (literally)
    I was just wondering what you do if baby gets sun burned (hopefully not and I will take every precaution, but wanted to know what to do if it does happen anyway)
    I have not found an aloe vera product that seems to indicate use on children under 2 years of age. So how does one treat a baby?

2. AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely wouldn't allow any type of burn at all. I'd buy the sun protectant swimwear. A hat on her head, and a huge umbrella that she sat under the entire time. Use waterbabies or some type of sunscreen, very liberally.

There was just a great post on here a week or two ago about protecting yourself and children from the sun due to skin cancer. I hope the original poster of that thread see's this and responds. I wouldn't take the chance with an 8 mo. old getting sunburned.
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

jys
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AmymOH - I completely agree of course - I have taken hats, sunscreen, tents - even the floatie for the baby has a "roof" for sun protection. I am basically thinking the "if all else fails" scenario - because I know of someone who took every measure but baby had a mild sunburn anyway. DD does not have a *very* fair skin, but I know that babies burn easily. I absolutely WILL do everything in my power so it doesn't happen at all - this is really more of - what emergency items do I need to have with me, just in case (since we are gone for several days)

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm a person who walks into the sun once and gets a burn. There's no amount of protection that has ever been able to protect me from burning--including when I was a child. Heck, my poor mother had to seek out sunblock for me in the mid seventies. It was a "designer" thing and had to be gotten at an upscale department store. It cost like $40 (!!!). Anyway...

I would say that Aloe is very safe. It is natural. I'd make sure you get the most natural kind, without any scent or color if possible.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

Christina~FL
    has no status.
    Auction board
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    Just fyi ... At Target they have rash guard bathing suits for infants, they have UV protection, the top is like a t-shirt and so that helps keep their arms covered I was able to get my dd the top, pants and matching hat and glasses there. She did get some sunburn at my nephews party (DH was standing outside with her and I should have made sure she had sunscreen on her head, since she is bald) I put coco butter lotion on until it started to fade.
    Mommy to D 4/03 & A 3/07

“Hold the cross high so I may see it through the flames!” ~ Joan of Arc

Briar
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by AmymOH
    I absolutely wouldn't allow any type of burn at all. I'd buy the sun protectant swimwear. A hat on her head, and a huge umbrella that she sat under the entire time. Use waterbabies or some type of sunscreen, very liberally.

There was just a great post on here a week or two ago about protecting yourself and children from the sun due to skin cancer. I hope the original poster of that thread see's this and responds. I wouldn't take the chance with an 8 mo. old getting sunburned.
    Yes, at ALL Costs , keep that baby out of the sun. Damage is actually done in the childhood years that preceed Cancer. Keep them safe. Melanoma can be a deadly cancer if spread. I had a Melanoma mole removed on Sept 11. It is a very large scar to remove a small mole and lymph nodes. I have to be checked 4 times a year for any strange moles. I am lucky it has not spread anywhere at this point, If melanoma gets to the organs, there is NO cure. That cancer does not respond to chemo or other treatments. Keep your kids and yourself safe, The sun is NOT your friend.
    Last edited by Briar; 04-05-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Raising Teenagers is like nailing jelly to a tree.

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by AmymOH
    I totally agree. You should be thinking about how you are going to keep the baby covered, not how you will treat a potential sunburn. Definately keep liberal sunscreen on the baby with a t-shirt and a hat.

sheryl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I agree with the others...

Also, I don't know about all of you, but my girls HATED the beach if we were there more than 30-60 minutes when they were babies. There wasn't much for them to do and they got so frustrated...
    Sheryl - 49 yrs old
    Proud Mommy to B & B - Jan 2002

2+ yrs IF - 14 IUIs - 3 m/c (2 during IF, 1 years ago) - last injectable cycle worked!

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.