FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Misty
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Fever- how high is too high? (3 yr old)

Emily's is 103.4 (taken orally as I can't find my temporal one). I just gave her Tylenol so have to wait 4 hrs to give again.
    MISTY~~14 IUIs and 2 IVFs
    Triplets born 5.10.04 @ 35wks
    EV ** NA ** AJ **

Please visit the triplet's personal webpage for the March of Dimes/March for Babies:

2. Advertisement

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Call the dr to make sure what to do.

But normally, you give tylenol and than 3 hours later and do motrin than 3 hours later do tylenol again.

Make sure that she's drinking fluids too.

ravenly
    ENLIGHTENED

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Believe it or not, when I took Alex to the ER for a temp of 104 something (They didnt' even bat an eyeball at it) they gave me a pamphlet and basically it said once it hits 108 (I would think death would be imminent at that point) is when to worry. I doubled checked the 108 degree with a nurse and she verified it. I'd still call a doctor and ask though.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Mahatma Gandhi

coffee cat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Max once hit 105.8 (in his ear) and I was fREAking out! I took him to the ER but by the time the Dr. saw him it was down from the tylenol I'd given him.

I think 104 or higher deserves a call to the doctor, ESPECIALLY if it involves a cough.

I hope Emily feels better soon. You know you can give Motrin too, right? You don't have to wait four hours for the Tylenol to wear off before giving Motrin. They can be given at the same time, just follow the dosage instructions properly for each medication.
    3 IVFs, 1 FET, and an in 2004
    mama of two miraculous and amazingly loud little boys

Misty
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by chris cdn
    Max once hit 105.8 (in his ear) and I was fREAking out! I took him to the ER but by the time the Dr. saw him it was down from the tylenol I'd given him.

I think 104 or higher deserves a call to the doctor, ESPECIALLY if it involves a cough.

I hope Emily feels better soon. You know you can give Motrin too, right? You don't have to wait four hours for the Tylenol to wear off before giving Motrin. They can be given at the same time, just follow the dosage instructions properly for each medication.
    I've actually never given Motrin to the trio before not sure why, I just have always bought Tylenol and given that. I have heard of the Motrin/tylenol combo but never did it before. I don't have any here, but there is a 24 hr Kmart in town where I could send dh...
    thanks!
    EV ** NA ** AJ **

Please visit the triplet's personal webpage for the March of Dimes/March for Babies:

Misty
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenly
    Believe it or not, when I took Alex to the ER for a temp of 104 something (They didnt' even bat an eyeball at it) they gave me a pamphlet and basically it said once it hits 108 (I would think death would be imminent at that point) is when to worry. I doubled checked the 108 degree with a nurse and she verified it. I'd still call a doctor and ask though.
    108 Wow that is way higher than I would have thought!
    EV ** NA ** AJ **

ABCGIRLZ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenly

THIS IS SO WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! but I am not a doctor just a mommy so what do I know....

My my mother and sister are nurses and if I am not mistaken they tell me if it is 103 or higher and don't come down after given tylenol or motrin the first time...try a cool bath..if it still does not come...ER!!!!!!!!
    The higher the temp the more damage it does to the body.......

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I wouldn't take any action besides Tylenol unless the fever goes close to 105. Her body is fighting an infection, it's doing its job.

morynn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tanner is slowly recovering from the flu. His temp was 104.8 the other night. I have taken Kenzie to the ER for that high and they just administer tylenol and send home. I know my Dr has information about fever on his website. Our bodies are programmed to actually regulate our temp and top it off at 105-106 unmedicated. It says 107 is worry time. Unless the child is miserable you really aren't even supposed to medicate because that is our body's way of fighting off infection. It certainly doesn't make it any less scary! I had to calm myself with Tanner's the other night!
    Kim
    Kenzie (9) & Tanner (4)

Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly!
    Author Unknown

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

I'm on my way...-20 lbs...57 to go! 1 pound at a time!

coffee cat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty
    I've actually never given Motrin to the trio before not sure why, I just have always bought Tylenol and given that. I have heard of the Motrin/tylenol combo but never did it before. I don't have any here, but there is a 24 hr Kmart in town where I could send dh...
    thanks!
    What I really like about Motrin is that it lasts longer than Tylenol. I think the dosage is every 8 hours--which almost gets the child through the night. The body metabolizes the two meds (acetaminophen and ibuprofen) differently, so it is safe to take them together as long as you follow the directions properly for each medication (every 4 hours for Tylenol and every 8 hours for Motrin).

Has her fever gone down a bit since you gave her Tylenol? 108 seems crazy to me, I'd be insane from worry. I remember one ER doctor telling me that it's how quickly the temp rises that can cause febrile seizures. When Max was in the hospital with pneumonia at 17 months the nurses would come around every 4 hours to check his temp and put cool washclothes on his body if it was high.

Fevers are good, it's the body fighting infection. And low grade fevers shouldn't even be treated with medication (below 101) to allow the body to do it's job.

Keep us posted on your baby!
    3 IVFs, 1 FET, and an in 2004
    mama of two miraculous and amazingly loud little boys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast