FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Basilissa
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others, let her eat as much as she wants. Period. Don't cut her off, don't tell her she's eating too much, just don't. Don't make your eating issues hers. Sounds harsh I know, but hey guess what. I have eating issues too and I struggle to not let it have an effect on what I say or do for DD. She KNOWS when she's hungry and when she's not. I just make sure that healthy choices are available for her always.

My DD can go for a week and barely touch her dinner then one or two nights in a row eat more than my DH. It all evens out.

2. Advertisement

Lotte
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pookies
    Yes, I am afraid of getting fat. I was a borderline anorexic years ago and I definitely have my issues with food.
    The things you originally listed, I don't think that is a lot at all for a growing 6 year old. Sorry if this sounds blunt, but don't let your own fear of getting fat influence her. I understand you want to protect your children from getting obese, but you also need to protect them from getting anorexic. If you are so worried about it, try to avoid any of the less healthy food choices, and instead of a hotdog, feed her a turkey sandwich.
    Mama to P

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita22
    I would totally get over your hang up with her food, if she is a healthy weight then make as little issue as possible over what and how much she eats. We as parents send very strong weight=food=perfect body messages to our youngsters at a very young age, these messages never get erased. I'd be very careful.
    I agree with this. I also agree with those that said its YOUR hangup with food. Not a problem for her. I dont think what you have said she eats is that much really.
    Kaelyn is a tiny lil girl (she is five and weighs 36 pounds) SHe had days where she eats like a bird and days where she can EAT and EAT and EAT! And Carlee 2.5 and weighs 30 pounds! SHe is in NO way fat, and same with her, some days she eats next to nothing and some weeks she eats and eats! As long as you are giving nutrious food (most of the time) then let her eat. One thing you DONT want is her to have a poor body image. Dont make your problem her problem.
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

MamaMaggie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Francesca started to have the same thing happen around age 6-7. I remember it being so weird because as a toddler/younger child she barely ate a thing! However my motto at that time was "just look at your own plate and do not worry about your childs plate"(of course she was at a good weight, healthy, etc). My motto remained the same even when she started to eat A LOT! Generally I make one serving of meat/main dish per person. I make a lot of extra veggies and they are free to fill up on those! If still hungry I will perhaps give them a banana or apple with peanut butter or make homemade pudding.

As a child I was very active at home, in sports, etc. I would go through periods where I was VERY hungry! My mother was about 30lbs overweight and always trying to watch portion sizes for herself, etc. She would give me looks of disgust if I dared ask for a second portion of anything. Eventually I felt such shame that I stopped asking for seconds of anything. I started to buy snack items to keep in my room, would come down at night after my parents were in bed and eat, etc. I was a thin, active, and healthy child before I felt bad for eating so much at dinner. I gained weight after I started to feel the need to watch what I ate around my mother. I am not saying that you are doing the same thing with your dd.

Also DHs one aunt has two granddaughters that she would babysit for(they are older now) and I remember her telling stories about how the girls at first didn't eat much. After age six though they would eat four times as much as she did! LOL At the time Francesca was a picky toddler and I never thought my own child would eat like that! I was wrong!

Maggie
    Maggie
    Mama to Annabelle 11/10/98-11/17/98, Francesca 3/15/00, and Natasja 6/17/04

Twinkle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, the description of how much food your dd eats, didn't sound like that much to me. My dds are petite little things (both are smallest in their class). Often times, my 7 yr old asks for seconds and even thirds at dinner. In general, my 6 yr old doesn't eat as much, but when she's going thru a growth spurt she eats like there's no tomorrow. Both are healthy, active kids, so I don't worry about how much they are or aren't eating on a daily basis.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds like she's just a normal healthy, active girl.

rae
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita22
    I would totally get over your hang up with her food, if she is a healthy weight then make as little issue as possible over what and how much she eats. We as parents send very strong weight=food=perfect body messages to our youngsters at a very young age, these messages never get erased. I'd be very careful.
    Rita22 is one smart lady.

Have you worked on table manners at all? Sitting together as a family, asking questions, talking, etc? Just the normal family time during dinner? Spending more time talking than eating, letting each child contribute their own thoughts and words to the conversation. These things slow down the meal, making it last. Then there's plenty of time to get that "I'm full" feeling. Of course, if a child is eating too fast, taking too big of bites, etc, you can gently remind them not to hurry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234